The Student Room Group

Vectors - how to 'show' additive and multiplicative properties

Hi, looking back at some vector stuff from back in my alevel days, and forgotten how to go about 'showing' results. So say vectors u, v, z are of the same order and c,d are constants, how would I prove the basic

U+v = v + u and (c+d)(u + v)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BackToMathsAgain
Hi, looking back at some vector stuff from back in my alevel days, and forgotten how to go about 'showing' results. So say vectors u, v, z are of the same order and c,d are constants, how would I prove the basic

For the additive property that you're trying to prove (commutativity), it depends on how you want to prove it. You can do it graphically via the properties of a parallelogram, or algebraically, coordinate-wise, where it's trivial since addition of real-valued coordinates is commutative.

It's not clear what multiplicative properties you want to prove, since you can't multiply vectors as you seem to be doing. Are you referring to the dot and cross products?
Original post by BackToMathsAgain

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Draw diagrams.
Reply 5
I just want to double check.

By "multiplicative properties", do you mean scalar multiplicative properties?

Quick Reply

Latest