The Student Room Group

Physics help !!!!!!

A rectangular hollow beam of length 3m is simply supported at its ends. It has width 100mm and depth 200mm. The beam is subjected to a uniformly distributed load of 2 tonnes/m and a point load of 200N at its centre position.
Determine;
(i) The maximum stress due to the bending
(ii) The value of the radius of curvature of the neutral layer
(iii) The factor of safety if the maximum allowable stress of the material is 100 Mpa

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING FOR DAYS, IM NOT GOOD AT MATHS AND PHYSICS.
I've picked physics for A Level but this question puts me off it completely :colondollar:

(I know that wasn't helpful at all to you)
Moving this to the physics section for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Farhad-91
A rectangular hollow beam of length 3m is simply supported at its ends. It has width 100mm and depth 200mm. The beam is subjected to a uniformly distributed load of 2 tonnes/m and a point load of 200N at its centre position.
Determine;
(i) The maximum stress due to the bending
(ii) The value of the radius of curvature of the neutral layer
(iii) The factor of safety if the maximum allowable stress of the material is 100 Mpa

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING FOR DAYS, IM NOT GOOD AT MATHS AND PHYSICS.

haven't looked at this in a while but from the top of my head:

i) and ii) you can change the uniformly distributed load into a force acting at a single point and then apply equilibrium conditions at the supported ends and form an equation for the unknown values.

iii) the factor of satefy is the = material strength/ design load

(i.e. im assuming you know the basics like stress = force/area)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Spelly456
I've picked physics for A Level but this question puts me off it completely :colondollar:

(I know that wasn't helpful at all to you)

This isn't A-Level physics.
Original post by Stonebridge
This isn't A-Level physics.

Really, what is it? I did IGCSE and never saw anything like this.
Reply 6
Original post by Spelly456
Really, what is it? I did IGCSE and never saw anything like this.

Its an engineering question.

Quick Reply

Latest