The Student Room Group

How important is maths in a-level physics?

Was thinking of taking physics as my third a-level option (I'm wanting to go into medicine). Not sure if it's a good idea though as I'm not good at maths and I'm not planning on taking it as an A-level, so I just wanted to know how important maths is for physics and whether it matters or not if I take it.
Original post by AsBr2008
Was thinking of taking physics as my third a-level option (I'm wanting to go into medicine). Not sure if it's a good idea though as I'm not good at maths and I'm not planning on taking it as an A-level, so I just wanted to know how important maths is for physics and whether it matters or not if I take it.

The A-level physics just needs GCSE math plus a few a level topics (logs and exponentials)

In summary - not much importance.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Yeah, but you do need to be solid on those gcse maths topics like trig and algebra
A level physics requires a very mathsy approach to questions, while you don't NEED to be doing a level maths it would definitely be easier if you did. As someone has said above, there are bits of physics that require maths that is above gcse like exponential and natural logs in radioactive decay. You could probably learn these topics on your own outside of doing maths.

You generally want to pick a levels you will enjoy and are good at as you need high grades for medicine, so don't do maths if this applies to you. Similarly physics might not be the best option if you struggle with maths.
Original post by AsBr2008

Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year cosmology and astrophysics student and studied maths and physics a-levels. I found doing the maths a-level helped me feel more confident in my physics work as there was quite a bit of repitition with the maths involved, however you definitely don't need to do maths to do physics. I had other classmates do separate, physics-focussed maths lessons as they needed extra help understanding mathmatical techniques used, however it is doable without this help if you're willing to learn it yourself.
Overall, it is possible to do without maths as another a-level, but there may be some places where you might struggle more compared to those that do maths as well.

Hope this helps!
Arya (Lancaster University Ambassador)
Reply 5
Original post by Joinedup
Yeah, but you do need to be solid on those gcse maths topics like trig and algebra

A-Level maths is however, enormously helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest