The Student Room Group

A level options

I need to pick A levels for my school soon, I am looking to do linguistics at university
I'm very certain I will take Spanish, German and Maths, now I need to pick a fourth one - I have narrowed it down to Physics, Further Maths and Politics. I enjoy Physics and Maths a lot, and often spend my free time reading about Politics
Would any of these be more or less helpful for linguistics?
Could anyone provide some further info on what the course is like for them in the aforementioned subjects?
Thank you in advance
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
i take german, maths & history at a-level (will be studying history & german at uni) and i would definitely say don't bother doing politics. it's not a very academic course and you will cover so many political things in your language courses.
physics and further maths are said to be difficult but will probably assist you with the logical side of linguistics a lot that will be well thought of by unis.
i would also recommend doing english language/english lang & lit if your school offers that because it offers a lot of linguistics/etymology related content that would help a lot
(these are just my thoughts)
good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ahn08
i take german, maths & history at a-level (will be studying history & german at uni) and i would definitely say don't bother doing politics. it's not a very academic course and you will cover so many political things in your language courses.
physics and further maths are said to be difficult but will probably assist you with the logical side of linguistics a lot that will be well thought of by unis.
i would also recommend doing english language/english lang & lit if your school offers that because it offers a lot of linguistics/etymology related content that would help a lot
(these are just my thoughts)
good luck :smile:

yeah, unfortunately my school doesn't offer either english lang or lang/lit and changing schools isnt really an option
I don't think either physics or FM will be particularly problematic for me - i've looked at the courses with my parents and they both seem ok (both my parents have extensive backgrounds in these subjects)
how should I go about choosing between the two?
Reply 3
You dont need 4 A levels for any degree subject.
Forget Physics unless you have an interest in doing an Engineering/Physics subject as an alternative degree.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
You dont need 4 A levels for any degree subject.
Forget Physics unless you have an interest in doing an Engineering/Physics subject as an alternative degree.

ok, aside from practicality (which unless I am mistaken is not offered directly to Linguistics by either FM or Phys), how should I go about making the decision?
note - my school makes us do 4 subjects to AS and i intend to continue 4 to A level
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
Original post by qaztcx
yeah, unfortunately my school doesn't offer either english lang or lang/lit and changing schools isnt really an option
I don't think either physics or FM will be particularly problematic for me - i've looked at the courses with my parents and they both seem ok (both my parents have extensive backgrounds in these subjects)
how should I go about choosing between the two?

i'd choose further maths. if your parents can help you with it that's great, also there's the added bonus of a lot of physics type (mechanics) content in there which is nice if you enjoy physics currently. i'd say fm would look very good on ucas forms, possibly better than physics, and you could probably even relate it to linguistics for your personal statement, etc as it goes a lot more in depth (and from the sound of it, covers more challenging/exciting topics) than just a-level maths
Reply 7
If you enjoy physics and maths then do physics and maths, rather than maths and more maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending