The Student Room Group

Chemistry required for Mechanical Engg?

Need help to finalize IB choices. Currently looking to do maths physics and DT at HL and English French History at SL. If I’m planning to study mechanical engineering, will the fact that I’m not studying Chemistry hurt my chances?

I plan to apply to competitive unis in the UK and Europe.
Original post by Sarave
Need help to finalize IB choices. Currently looking to do maths physics and DT at HL and English French History at SL. If I’m planning to study mechanical engineering, will the fact that I’m not studying Chemistry hurt my chances?

No, won't hurt your chances for UK universities.
Reply 2
Original post by Sarave

Your choices are fine, the main subjects that you need are maths and physics which you have.
Original post by Sarave

Hi @Sarave

Each university has different entry requirements but typically for Mechanical Engineering maths and physics are the main requirement and not chemistry (but I would check any courses/universities you are considering just in case!)

For context, the entry requirements for Lancaster University:
International Baccalaureate 32 points for BEng (36 points for MEng) overall with 16 points from the best 3 Higher Level subjects including either:

Mathematics HL grade 6 (either pathway) plus grade 6 in a HL Physical Science

Mathematics HL grade 6 (either pathway) plus grade 6 in two SL Physical Sciences

Mathematics SL grade 7 (Analysis and Approaches) plus HL grade 6 in a Physical Science

Acceptable physical science subjects include Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Design Technology.

I hope this helps!
Izzy (LU Engineering Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest