The Student Room Group

Chemistry or physics A level

Looking for third A level opinions on chemistry or physics. I really don't know career path and as I'm doing biology which I love I know commonsense is telling me chemistry as it goes better but I much prefer physics. Would chemistry also be a bit easier I've heard Alevel physics is a big step up from GCSE.. I'm so confused right now so any experiences appreciated please🙏🙏🙏
They’re both a considerable step-up from GCSE and what is considered easier will be subjective. I wouldn’t worry too much about the overlap between biology and the other sciences because it’s not that significant from my memory.

I would say pick the one you enjoy the most and feel like you can perform the best on. However, for physics in particular, a lot of sixth forms and colleges recommend you take a-level maths if you intend to do physics. Physics will have a significant amount of maths content and doing a-level maths will help you with the maths content within physics.

Additionally, if you intend to pursue physics later on, maths will almost definitely also be required.

So if you are not doing maths a level, it may be a better option to pick chemistry in my opinion.
Original post by Sazzi72
Looking for third A level opinions on chemistry or physics. I really don't know career path and as I'm doing biology which I love I know commonsense is telling me chemistry as it goes better but I much prefer physics. Would chemistry also be a bit easier I've heard Alevel physics is a big step up from GCSE.. I'm so confused right now so any experiences appreciated please🙏🙏🙏

Hey!

As mentioned, a level maths is really useful for studying physics. It really helps with the mathematical side of the course, and that's a fair chunck. Chemistry also has maths elements, bit if I recall correctly they aren't as bad as physics. Both subject are up there as more challenging subjects so I wouldn't think about that too much, but go for the one you enjoy more as its so much easier to study a subject if you enjoy it!

Have you tried talking to teachers to see if they have any insigh? You can also look into the specs for each for course content.

Hope that helps a bit,
Kat
Reply 3
Original post by Sazzi72

I find chemistry A level miles more interesting and entertaining than physics, but I am also much better at chemistry so that might be why
Original post by Sazzi72

Generally you ought to take the subject you enjoy more. If you prefer physics to chemistry, then take physics.

I’d also consider possible things you might want to study at uni and which unis you might want to study at. Since you love biology, would medicine, biomedical science or biology appeal?

Having taken chemistry, physics and maths in years 12 and 13, as well as A level further maths and AS biology in my gap year, in my experience, all the A level sciences and maths are a big step up from GCSE.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest