The Student Room Group

Silk Road 2.0 Busted

Scroll to see replies

Original post by young_guns
Superb comment, I couldn't agree more. Drug prohibition is a bad policy, but I don't view drug traffickers and the guys who ran Silk Road as some kind of freedom pioneers.

It takes a certain amount of selfishness to be willing profit from, and exploit, the fact of someone else's drug problem, or mental health issues, knowing that it is injurious to their health and wellbeing.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be to say that the operators of Silk Road are giving people a safe way to buy drugs (if they're into their drugs then they're going to buy them from somewhere, may as well make it safe for them to do so) instead of giving money to street dealers.

Just because the service is there, it doesn't mean that people have to use it. People take drugs of their own volition, you can't disregard personal responsibility and blame SR for providing a safer alternative to RL deals (that being said, many RL deals are perfectly safe. The risk factor is largely dependent on what your drug of choice is, but I'm digressing).
It depends, really. If the drugs are being shipped from overseas then what would otherwise be low-level users are engaging in importation, which is slightly more serious than straight purchase.

What happens is HMRC send you a letter telling you they have seized your parcel and that you can appeal this decision if you feel it was unfair. And then.. Nothing.
Reply 42
Original post by Drunk Punx
That's one way of looking at it. Another way would be to say that the operators of Silk Road are giving people a safe way to buy drugs (if they're into their drugs then they're going to buy them from somewhere, may as well make it safe for them to do so) instead of giving money to street dealers.

In what way is it safe?
Reply 43
Original post by Captain Haddock
What happens is HMRC send you a letter telling you they have seized your parcel and that you can appeal this decision if you feel it was unfair. And then.. Nothing.

Because they can't be bothered to prosecute most times. That doesn't mean they haven't clocked you as someone who imports drugs and your name hasn't gone onto an NCA database

And not just an NCA database. Personally, I prefer not to hand over my address to drug dealers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Who cares about SR, there are better markets out there. Also, if you order stuff off there you gotta know what you're doing, if you take all the necessary precautions, I guarantee you can't get caught nor have any trace of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In what way is it safe?

You give someone money, they send you what you're after. Minimal personal interaction is required. To say that it's in any way unsafe would also be saying that buying a DVD from Amazon isn't safe as the process by and large is the same thing, the only difference is what you can buy. And as long as you're dealing with a reputable seller then there's very little that could go wrong.

There's very little that could go wrong with a street deal, but I'd wager that you'd be more likely to be picked up by a cop who's got no actual criminals to stop so he starts giving the local stoners **** than you would be caught out buying something from SR. There's also the avoidance of the incredibly unlikely situation that someone would steal your money/weed while you're walking back to your pad.

There is nothing inherently wrong with buying drugs from the Internet, and there is nothing inherently wrong with buying drugs from a street dealer, but the former is safer.
SR2 was well known to have such a high volume of fake or subpar sales as to put anybody serious off from using it anyway. It's not really going to change a thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending