The Student Room Group

Wavy/curly hair maintenance

When I was younger I used to have wavy/curly hair but I never had any of the right products to use so growing up I didn't know how to maintain them properly and ended up straightening my hair almost everyday to handle the frizz. (I also had thick hair so it helped it seem manageable). In the past two years I stopped using a hair straightener and decided to embrace the natural curls and waves of my hair. I still don't have a lot of the products needed like a curl cream or diffuser but I've started scrunching excess water out of my hair which has helped bring some of the waves and curls back. At night I plait my hair and then take it out in the morning and fluff it out gently with my hands. I don't really brush it as I find my hair becoming more frizzy and the curls seem to lose their definition slightly. When I do brush my hair, it's usually when I'm washing it (I brush it before I add oil to my hair and then once more after I condition it).

My mum has started commenting about the appearance of my hair. Usually it's just about how thin it's gotten because I'm "not eating as much as I used to", which I'm not entirely convinced about because I've asked a friend who said the opposite. I've also found that when putting my hair in ponytails, it still feels quite thick in my hand. My eating habits also haven't decreased significantly, granted some days are worse than others but they're not as bad as they were three years ago. She's mentioned that my hair looks really dead and has no shine because I've bleached and dyed my hair. I've only bleached parts of my hair for highlights and this has been done twice at a salon. She also says that my hair looks bad when it has not been brushed but I have a feeling that may be personal preference because I've had compliments about my hair when I've taken the braid out and fluffed it slightly.

Any general tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply 1
I have curly hair also. I usually don't want to be bothered by it much, so I mostly keep them in protective styles such as braids. I've read spraying a bit of water, applying leave in conditioner and finishing it of with oil helps keeping it moisturized which also promotes hair growth. Oiling your scalp once a week is also good. At night when you sleep, you should wear a silk bonnet to protect your hair. I would advise you to stop bleaching your hair completely. My sister bleached her hair and dyed it and she had to cut it off due to manipulating too many times. I hope this helps ❤️
Reply 2
Original post by Maxine03
I have curly hair also. I usually don't want to be bothered by it much, so I mostly keep them in protective styles such as braids. I've read spraying a bit of water, applying leave in conditioner and finishing it of with oil helps keeping it moisturized which also promotes hair growth. Oiling your scalp once a week is also good. At night when you sleep, you should wear a silk bonnet to protect your hair. I would advise you to stop bleaching your hair completely. My sister bleached her hair and dyed it and she had to cut it off due to manipulating too many times. I hope this helps ❤️

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by fzt07
Thank you!

No problem ❤️
Original post by fzt07
When I was younger I used to have wavy/curly hair but I never had any of the right products to use so growing up I didn't know how to maintain them properly and ended up straightening my hair almost everyday to handle the frizz. (I also had thick hair so it helped it seem manageable). In the past two years I stopped using a hair straightener and decided to embrace the natural curls and waves of my hair. I still don't have a lot of the products needed like a curl cream or diffuser but I've started scrunching excess water out of my hair which has helped bring some of the waves and curls back. At night I plait my hair and then take it out in the morning and fluff it out gently with my hands. I don't really brush it as I find my hair becoming more frizzy and the curls seem to lose their definition slightly. When I do brush my hair, it's usually when I'm washing it (I brush it before I add oil to my hair and then once more after I condition it).

My mum has started commenting about the appearance of my hair. Usually it's just about how thin it's gotten because I'm "not eating as much as I used to", which I'm not entirely convinced about because I've asked a friend who said the opposite. I've also found that when putting my hair in ponytails, it still feels quite thick in my hand. My eating habits also haven't decreased significantly, granted some days are worse than others but they're not as bad as they were three years ago. She's mentioned that my hair looks really dead and has no shine because I've bleached and dyed my hair. I've only bleached parts of my hair for highlights and this has been done twice at a salon. She also says that my hair looks bad when it has not been brushed but I have a feeling that may be personal preference because I've had compliments about my hair when I've taken the braid out and fluffed it slightly.

Maintaining wavy or curly hair can be a bit different from straight hair due to its unique texture and structure. Here are some tips to help you care for and style your wavy/curly hair:

Moisturize your hair: Curly hair tends to be drier than straight hair because the natural oils produced by the scalp have a harder time traveling down the hair shaft. Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner specifically formulated for curly hair to keep your locks hydrated.

Don't overwash: Washing your hair too frequently can strip away its natural oils, leading to dryness and frizz. Aim to wash your hair every 2-3 days or as needed, and consider using a sulfate-free shampoo to prevent excessive drying.

Condition, condition, condition: Conditioning is crucial for curly hair. Use a deep conditioner once a week or try a leave-in conditioner to provide extra moisture and keep your curls defined and frizz-free.

Detangle gently: Use a wide-toothed comb or your fingers to detangle your hair when it's wet and coated with conditioner. Start from the ends and work your way up to avoid causing breakage or damage. Avoid brushing your hair when it's dry, as this can disrupt the curl pattern and create frizz.

Apply styling products: Find the right styling products for your hair type and desired look. Curl creams, gels, or mousses can help define your curls and reduce frizz. Apply the products to damp hair and distribute them evenly from roots to ends.

Avoid heat styling: Heat can be damaging to curly hair, so it's best to minimize the use of hot tools like flat irons or curling wands. If you do use heat, make sure to apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.

Embrace air drying or diffusing: Instead of using a towel to dry your hair vigorously, gently squeeze out excess water with a microfiber towel or an old t-shirt. Allow your hair to air dry or use a diffuser attachment on your hairdryer to dry your curls gently while preserving their shape.

Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase: Cotton pillowcases can cause friction and create frizz in curly hair. Switch to a satin or silk pillowcase, or use a satin/silk bonnet or scarf to protect your curls while you sleep.

Avoid touching your hair too much: Excessive touching can disrupt the curl pattern and cause frizz. Once you've styled your hair, try to leave it alone as much as possible to maintain its shape and definition.

Regular trims: To prevent split ends and promote healthy hair growth, schedule regular trims every 8-12 weeks. This will help keep your curls looking fresh and prevent any potential damage from traveling up the hair shaft.

Remember, finding the right routine and products for your hair may involve some trial and error, as everyone's hair is unique. Experiment with different techniques and products to discover what works best for you and your curls.
Reply 5
Thank you so much! Are there any brands you'd recommend?
Original post by nailsandbeauty
Maintaining wavy or curly hair can be a bit different from straight hair due to its unique texture and structure. Here are some tips to help you care for and style your wavy/curly hair:

Moisturize your hair: Curly hair tends to be drier than straight hair because the natural oils produced by the scalp have a harder time traveling down the hair shaft. Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner specifically formulated for curly hair to keep your locks hydrated.

Don't overwash: Washing your hair too frequently can strip away its natural oils, leading to dryness and frizz. Aim to wash your hair every 2-3 days or as needed, and consider using a sulfate-free shampoo to prevent excessive drying.

Condition, condition, condition: Conditioning is crucial for curly hair. Use a deep conditioner once a week or try a leave-in conditioner to provide extra moisture and keep your curls defined and frizz-free.

Detangle gently: Use a wide-toothed comb or your fingers to detangle your hair when it's wet and coated with conditioner. Start from the ends and work your way up to avoid causing breakage or damage. Avoid brushing your hair when it's dry, as this can disrupt the curl pattern and create frizz.

Apply styling products: Find the right styling products for your hair type and desired look. Curl creams, gels, or mousses can help define your curls and reduce frizz. Apply the products to damp hair and distribute them evenly from roots to ends.

Avoid heat styling: Heat can be damaging to curly hair, so it's best to minimize the use of hot tools like flat irons or curling wands. If you do use heat, make sure to apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.

Embrace air drying or diffusing: Instead of using a towel to dry your hair vigorously, gently squeeze out excess water with a microfiber towel or an old t-shirt. Allow your hair to air dry or use a diffuser attachment on your hairdryer to dry your curls gently while preserving their shape.

Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase: Cotton pillowcases can cause friction and create frizz in curly hair. Switch to a satin or silk pillowcase, or use a satin/silk bonnet or scarf to protect your curls while you sleep.

Avoid touching your hair too much: Excessive touching can disrupt the curl pattern and cause frizz. Once you've styled your hair, try to leave it alone as much as possible to maintain its shape and definition.

Regular trims: To prevent split ends and promote healthy hair growth, schedule regular trims every 8-12 weeks. This will help keep your curls looking fresh and prevent any potential damage from traveling up the hair shaft.

Remember, finding the right routine and products for your hair may involve some trial and error, as everyone's hair is unique. Experiment with different techniques and products to discover what works best for you and your curls.
Reply 6
if you continually plait your hair it will mould to the shape in the long term. i recommend the denman brush to everyone - absolute lifesaverrr. although you really have to practice with it to find out what workd best for you. there are also denman dupes as its expensive - but i got mine on sale in superdrug. i use the boots curly mousse after using the garnier leave in tub w my denman. get a diffuser. dont listen to those influencers who use bowls and leave their hair dripping for hours - its unrealistic . hope this helps xx

(Original post by fzt07)When I was younger I used to have wavy/curly hair but I never had any of the right products to use so growing up I didn't know how to maintain them properly and ended up straightening my hair almost everyday to handle the frizz. (I also had thick hair so it helped it seem manageable). In the past two years I stopped using a hair straightener and decided to embrace the natural curls and waves of my hair. I still don't have a lot of the products needed like a curl cream or diffuser but I've started scrunching excess water out of my hair which has helped bring some of the waves and curls back. At night I plait my hair and then take it out in the morning and fluff it out gently with my hands. I don't really brush it as I find my hair becoming more frizzy and the curls seem to lose their definition slightly. When I do brush my hair, it's usually when I'm washing it (I brush it before I add oil to my hair and then once more after I condition it).

Reply 7
thank you!
Original post by saira khalid
To maintain your natural curls and waves, it's important to keep your hair moisturized by using hydrating shampoos and conditioners specifically designed for curly hair. Consider incorporating a curl cream or gel into your routine to enhance and define your curls. Avoid brushing your hair when it's dry to prevent frizz and instead detangle it with your fingers or a wide-toothed comb while it's wet and coated with conditioner. At night, protect your curls by using a satin pillowcase or a bonnet. Embrace your natural hair and enjoy experimenting with different techniques and products to find what works best for you!
Reply 8
Original post by studenther
if you continually plait your hair it will mould to the shape in the long term. i recommend the denman brush to everyone - absolute lifesaverrr. although you really have to practice with it to find out what workd best for you. there are also denman dupes as its expensive - but i got mine on sale in superdrug. i use the boots curly mousse after using the garnier leave in tub w my denman. get a diffuser. dont listen to those influencers who use bowls and leave their hair dripping for hours - its unrealistic . hope this helps xx

thank you so much for the recommendation!
I, too, struggled with managing my curly hair, especially with frizz and thickness. I realized that my curly hair seemed more prone to dandruff. I tried various solutions, like changing my shampoo and being more gentle while brushing, but nothing worked perfectly. It was frustrating not knowing why my hair was reacting this way.

Interestingly, I stumbled upon this article that explained why curly hair might be more prone to dandruff. The reasons were quite enlightening: Natural oil distribution difficulties due to curls, the increased surface area of curly hair, excessive scratching caused by curls, and the impact of specialized curly hair products. The article suggested avoiding heavy styling products, which I tried, and it helped reduce my dandruff issues.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest