Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody please answer my question
    what is the relationship between evaporation rate and pressure????

(Original post by Contacthaber)
    Can somebody please answer my question
    what is the relationship between evaporation rate and pressure????
    Welcome to TSR physics.

In order to give you a useful reply you need to provide a bit more information as the question is a little vague.

Evaporation rate of what?
    Pressure of what?
    Under what conditions?

If it's an actual exam or homework question, it's better if you post the complete question.

ReputationRep:
    In my book it says that decreasing the atmospheric pressure increases the rate of evaporation. Can you please elaborate on this statement as I am not able to understand the concept behind this.
    Thank you

In my book it says that decreasing the atmospheric pressure increases the rate of evaporation. Can you please elaborate on this statement as I am not able to understand the concept behind this.
    Thank you
    I can only guess at what your book is explaining as you haven't provided any context or background.
    However, evaporation of liquids occurs on the surface of the earth when energetic atoms from a liquid escape the body of the liquid and move into the atmosphere.
    Molecules of the gasses that are already present in the atmosphere will tend to get in the way of the evaporating atoms as they will collide with them.
    So if you reduce the pressure of the atmosphere and consequently reduce the number of molecules of gas present, there are fewer to get in the way.
    Result...?
    You tell me.

ReputationRep:
    So the more energetic molecules on the surface of liquid will easily escape as the frequency of collision decreases. Thanks really appreciated

So the more energetic molecules on the surface of liquid will easily escape as the frequency of collision decreases. Thanks really appreciated
    Yes. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello i was asking how should i now prepare for my physics exam in may. Whats the beat preparation method?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Best i meant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello i was asking how should i now prepare for my physics exam in may. Whats the beat preparation method?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best i meant

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Please start a new thread for this.
    This is an old question from last year and has been answered.
    The thread is closed.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.