The Student Room Group

Physics and Mathematics studying

Having almost no background of physics whatsoever and wanting to do A-level Physics and Mathematics, what books should I read for content learning and studying??
didn’t u do gcse physics?
Reply 2
Original post by unknown20001
didn’t u do gcse physics?

I didn't, my school didn't offer it so I just took Maths.
Original post by Parklyn_5
I didn't, my school didn't offer it so I just took Maths.

oh okay, was this recent orrr?
Having almost no background of physics whatsoever and wanting to do A-level Physics and Mathematics, what books should I read for content learning and studying??

Did you do combined science? Normally UK GCSE students will do the double award combined science (covering all three sciences) if not taking each science as an individual GCSE, as I understand it.

The A-level only assumes knowledge from the combined science GCSE content formally I believe. Individual schools may assume more depending on how they teach it but that's on a school level.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Did you do combined science? Normally UK GCSE students will do the double award combined science (covering all three sciences) if not taking each science as an individual GCSE, as I understand it.

The A-level only assumes knowledge from the combined science GCSE content formally I believe. Individual schools may assume more depending on how they teach it but that's on a school level.

The thing is, I'm not from the UK and I only took the IGCSE because my school is bilingual. My school orientation is actually economics and I did English, Spanish, Biology, History, Maths, Business and Economics IGCSEs. I want to study aerospace engineering in college so I figured I'll need both Maths and Physics A-level exams to do so and I asked in my school if I could take those and they agreed. Unfortunately, they won't provide me any help and I'll have to study those subjects on my own but I don't really know where to start. I've searched for books and found many for the A-level but I don't know which are best to learn the contents or if the contents are too advanced and I should start with one for the IGCSEs.
Reply 6
Original post by unknown20001
oh okay, was this recent orrr?

Yeah yeah, I took Maths last October
The thing is, I'm not from the UK and I only took the IGCSE because my school is bilingual. My school orientation is actually economics and I did English, Spanish, Biology, History, Maths, Business and Economics IGCSEs. I want to study aerospace engineering in college so I figured I'll need both Maths and Physics A-level exams to do so and I asked in my school if I could take those and they agreed. Unfortunately, they won't provide me any help and I'll have to study those subjects on my own but I don't really know where to start. I've searched for books and found many for the A-level but I don't know which are best to learn the contents or if the contents are too advanced and I should start with one for the IGCSEs.

This is quite relevant information for understanding how to answer your question!

As you've already done maths GCSE you don't need to focus on that, you should have the relevant background for it.

I'd suggest finding some resources for GCSE Combined Science (Double Award) and going over the physics topics in it. Some of the chemistry topics might also be relevant but I'd probably not recommend focusing on that for now.

Once you're happy with the physics material from the combined science syllabus you should have the same background as any UK student doing the A-level Physics course :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
bro what... ur so lucky i cant wait to nvr take physics again

cgp to do some great revision guides. I think one's called bridging the gap to a level which kind of builds onto gcse knowledge explaining the starts of a level

Quick Reply

Latest