The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography B Unit 1 [2014]

Just looked around an old thread where people had done the 2014 paper on Geography, and they found it really hard. So any tips?
(edited 9 years ago)
Unit 1 was awful, the questions were worded in weird ways, there were hardly any questions that stated the need for case studies...I could rant on for ages.
make sure you:
know how to answer 8 mark questions,
know how different types of waves create different coastal landforms (if you're doing coasts),
Can state and explain two different structures that protect people from earthquakes (e.g. Bamboo houses),
know factors affecting the distribution of vegetation in biomes,
And are able to draw diagrams representing tectonic plate movement and convection currents.
Thats the extent of my memory for that paper....
The Unit 2 paper is so much easier :frown:
We tried the Unit 3 paper out the other day and I'm pretty sure I done terrible!
I guess with Unit 2 you just need to know the stuff realllly well. The best thing is knowing the command words too.
Like if a question says 'Describe' use GCSE. General, Comment, Specific and Exception. That gets you full marks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Laurasaur
Unit 1 was awful, the questions were worded in weird ways, there were hardly any questions that stated the need for case studies...I could rant on for ages.
make sure you:
know how to answer 8 mark questions,
know how different types of waves create different coastal landforms (if you're doing coasts),
Can state and explain two different structures that protect people from earthquakes (e.g. Bamboo houses),
know factors affecting the distribution of vegetation in biomes,
And are able to draw diagrams representing tectonic plate movement and convection currents.
Thats the extent of my memory for that paper....

Thanks for that was there anything to do with farming, because I got an email from Geography teacher saying to be aware of a farming case study?
I have unit1+2 geography mock soon. Do you remember any of it? what case studies do i need to revise???
Original post by ellefrancessa
The Unit 2 paper is so much easier :frown:
We tried the Unit 3 paper out the other day and I'm pretty sure I done terrible!
I guess with Unit 2 you just need to know the stuff realllly well. The best thing is knowing the command words too.
Like if a question says 'Describe' use GCSE. General, Comment, Specific and Exception. That gets you full marks :smile:

Did you do Edexcel? If so, do you have any more tips for me for the Unit 2 paper?
Is this for GCSE geography B edexcel 2014???
Original post by Camerxn
Thanks for that was there anything to do with farming, because I got an email from Geography teacher saying to be aware of a farming case study?

Yeah, I know there was- but I'm not sure of the exact questions. I think it was something about comparing farming techniques of rich and poor countries- irrigation, those diguette things etc...
Original post by Nadine_08
Did you do Edexcel? If so, do you have any more tips for me for the Unit 2 paper?

Yeah I do Edexcel :smile:! I'm still in Year 11 now so I haven't actually took this paper before and I wont be doing it for my mock until March. Honestly, my biggest tip for Unit 2 is knowing the case studies reallllly well and knowing the command words! Also, you can kind of answer each question the same when its a 6 mark.
It's hard to explain but just remember the economic, social and environmental effects and you will get full marks.
For example, it creates more jobs, can send people to school, doesn't cause pollution etc.

Example : Using named examples, examine the costs and benefits of developing both brownfield and greenfield sites.

Brownfield sites are those developed on previously built on land. That includes Canary Wharf, The Olympic Stadium and Fort Dunlop in Birmingham As a result of developing this land, damaged land can be restored. Jobs which were lost can be created largely benefiting the economy. Fort Dunlop created almost 20000 jobs. This impacts greatly. Furthermore, revenue can be created. On the other hand, it can cost a lot of money to clean up the land making it cheaper just to develop on Greenfield sites such as The Ammex Stadium in Brighton, Maidenbower in Crawley and Solihull in the Midlands. These are sites built on land previously not built on. They are the easiest way to meet housing demands. Solihull created a large leisure area which largely benefited the community creating many jobs. They are a blank canvas allowing developers to design it how they wish. On the other hand, a lot of farmland and natural habitats can be destroyed. It has large environmental concerns. It is most environmentally friendly to develop on Brownfield sites but cheaper to build on Greenfield. In my opinion, Brownfield are therefore better as it is recycling.

Somehow I got 8 out of 8 on that answer! I think my teacher marks too kindly :wink: but I got an A* on that mock. That question comes from the topic Changing Economy of the UK which is one of the option ones I believe? The closest Geography book I could find!

Good luck xxx
Reply 9
Original post by Laurasaur
Yeah, I know there was- but I'm not sure of the exact questions. I think it was something about comparing farming techniques of rich and poor countries- irrigation, those diguette things etc...

Oh okay, thanks :smile:
Original post by ellefrancessa
Yeah I do Edexcel :smile:! I'm still in Year 11 now so I haven't actually took this paper before and I wont be doing it for my mock until March. Honestly, my biggest tip for Unit 2 is knowing the case studies reallllly well and knowing the command words! Also, you can kind of answer each question the same when its a 6 mark. It's hard to explain but just remember the economic, social and environmental effects and you will get full marks. For example, it creates more jobs, can send people to school, doesn't cause pollution etc. Example : Using named examples, examine the costs and benefits of developing both brownfield and greenfield sites.Brownfield sites are those developed on previously built on land. That includes Canary Wharf, The Olympic Stadium and Fort Dunlop in Birmingham As a result of developing this land, damaged land can be restored. Jobs which were lost can be created largely benefiting the economy. Fort Dunlop created almost 20000 jobs. This impacts greatly. Furthermore, revenue can be created. On the other hand, it can cost a lot of money to clean up the land making it cheaper just to develop on Greenfield sites such as The Ammex Stadium in Brighton, Maidenbower in Crawley and Solihull in the Midlands. These are sites built on land previously not built on. They are the easiest way to meet housing demands. Solihull created a large leisure area which largely benefited the community creating many jobs. They are a blank canvas allowing developers to design it how they wish. On the other hand, a lot of farmland and natural habitats can be destroyed. It has large environmental concerns. It is most environmentally friendly to develop on Brownfield sites but cheaper to build on Greenfield. In my opinion, Brownfield are therefore better as it is recycling. Somehow I got 8 out of 8 on that answer! I think my teacher marks too kindly :wink: but I got an A* on that mock. That question comes from the topic Changing Economy of the UK which is one of the option ones I believe? The closest Geography book I could find!Good luck xxx
Thanks, you too!:smile:
I do Edexcel B Geography too :smile: at school, I'm in year 10 though.
How many units are there and what are each units called?

Is Unit 1 - Restless Earth?
Reply 12
Original post by Chittesh14
I do Edexcel B Geography too :smile: at school, I'm in year 10 though.
How many units are there and what are each units called?

Is Unit 1 - Restless Earth?

There are 3 units in Edexcel Geography B
Unit 1: Dynamic Planet
Unit 2: People and the Planet
Unit 3: Making Geographical Decisions

Restless Earth is a sub topic in Unit 1
Original post by Camerxn
There are 3 units in Edexcel Geography B
Unit 1: Dynamic Planet
Unit 2: People and the Planet
Unit 3: Making Geographical Decisions

Restless Earth is a sub topic in Unit 1

Oh right thanks :biggrin: I just finished sub topic 2 in unit 1 climate change at school :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest