The Student Room Group

Should slang be banned in schools? Debate prep

So I have this debate coming up. It is on should debate be banned in schools. I have a few points but i can easily think of rebuttals to them. I would like any points that you have. All are welcome. Maybe some unique ones? maybe

Thanks
Freedom of speech/expression, case closed.
Are you on the proposition or opposition?
Reply 3
Original post by zetamcfc
Freedom of speech/expression, case closed.

Teachers might say, by not being able to express themselves in standard english they are limiting the variety of places they can speak
Original post by Himtiaz
Teachers might say, by not being able to express themselves in standard english they are limiting the variety of places they can speak

So...It is still a violation of freedom of speech/expression.
Slang isn't a completely different language. People adjust their way of speaking depending on who they are with and as zetamcfc says, it's a violation of freedom of expression. Of course, if you are defining the motion, you could be clever about it and say 'This house believes that slang should be banned in schools, with the exception of conversations outside the classroom' - of course you can't really stop people from using slang, teachers couldn't go around giving detentions for uses of slang as they probably use it themselves.
Reply 6
Original post by zetamcfc
So...It is still a violation of freedom of speech/expression.

Yeah, either way
Reply 7
Original post by Wingardium
Slang isn't a completely different language. People adjust their way of speaking depending on who they are with and as zetamcfc says, it's a violation of freedom of expression. Of course, if you are defining the motion, you could be clever about it and say 'This house believes that slang should be banned in schools, with the exception of conversations outside the classroom' - of course you can't really stop people from using slang, teachers couldn't go around giving detentions for uses of slang as they probably use it themselves.

The problem is that some people cant adapt their language to situations. However your bit about the motion is good. Lucky me i am first speaker
Original post by Himtiaz
The problem is that some people cant adapt their language to situations. However your bit about the motion is good. Lucky me i am first speaker

The problem is that this will be one of the opposition's main arguments. What you've got to do is pick it apart. They might say that lessons on how to speak in certain circumstances could be given. If you reply 'they will cost money' then they will go for the usual 'are you implying that money is more important than our children's future'. You should say 'where will this money come from, we need to fund things like maths or computer related subjects, as our world is changing and this is what our children need in this day and age, not elocution lessons' - that would get them thinking.
No, slang is what defines young people.
Reply 10
slang is the evolution of language to reflect that which we find important in life. what we speak like now may seem to be "slang filled Bull****" to previous generation, just as we may see the slang of the current younger generation.

if we ban slang, we remove the ability of the generations to express themselves. just because we feel that the words that develop through use are inappropriate or not sophisticated enough does not mean they should not be used.

Quick Reply

Latest