The Student Room Group

any advice for someone starting a level maths in september

and maybe mistakes you'd made
Reply 1
Original post by million.
and maybe mistakes you'd made

Do some work over the holiday - we set prep work.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79

i havent been set prep work to do, should i just refresh on gcse topics?
Reply 3
Keep on top of practicing what you've been taught each week by finishing all the available questions - Maths is the kind of thing you learn by doing rather than just revising how to do. I was not very diligent about finishing the exercises set in class each week and my grades in topic tests were hovering around a B/A - when I actually started finishing things I started getting secure As and sometimes A*s. Keeping on top of it also means when it comes to revising you just have to refresh your memory of each topic as the skills should already be there, rather than having to basically learn it all again because you didn't learn it properly the first time.
Reply 4
Original post by eeeli
Keep on top of practicing what you've been taught each week by finishing all the available questions - Maths is the kind of thing you learn by doing rather than just revising how to do. I was not very diligent about finishing the exercises set in class each week and my grades in topic tests were hovering around a B/A - when I actually started finishing things I started getting secure As and sometimes A*s. Keeping on top of it also means when it comes to revising you just have to refresh your memory of each topic as the skills should already be there, rather than having to basically learn it all again because you didn't learn it properly the first time.

i found that during gcses even if i completely knew a topic in y10 by the time gcses actually rolled around i completely forgot it, would the same go for alevels/ have you experienced this too in gcses
Reply 5

also can i ask what type of prep work you set
Reply 6
i found that during gcses even if i completely knew a topic in y10 by the time gcses actually rolled around i completely forgot it, would the same go for alevels/ have you experienced this too in gcses

Yes, naturally you will forget stuff as time goes on. But if the learning was more secure in the first place, it will probably take less work to refresh it than it would have if you never quite got it to begin with. If you found you forgot stuff at GCSE you probably also will at A-level (and barely anyone remembers everything they ever learned anyway) - a way to combat this is to recap stuff periodically over the two years to consolidate it. A-level Maths also tends to build on itself. The methods you learn in one topic will probably pop up elsewhere, so that does also help you stay on top of things.
Reply 7
also can i ask what type of prep work you set

You could google and find some schools examples. We mainly focus on Algebra and the work has to be handed in on the first day back.

Edexcel produced this: https://www.pearson.com/uk/educators/schools/subject-area/mathematics/unrivalled-support/support-from-pearson/gcse-maths-transition-to-alevel.html
Reply 8
You could google and find some schools examples. We mainly focus on Algebra and the work has to be handed in on the first day back.

Edexcel produced this: https://www.pearson.com/uk/educators/schools/subject-area/mathematics/unrivalled-support/support-from-pearson/gcse-maths-transition-to-alevel.html

thank you:smile: ill try completing this one and probably find a few other ones too
Reply 9
Original post by eeeli
Yes, naturally you will forget stuff as time goes on. But if the learning was more secure in the first place, it will probably take less work to refresh it than it would have if you never quite got it to begin with. If you found you forgot stuff at GCSE you probably also will at A-level (and barely anyone remembers everything they ever learned anyway) - a way to combat this is to recap stuff periodically over the two years to consolidate it. A-level Maths also tends to build on itself. The methods you learn in one topic will probably pop up elsewhere, so that does also help you stay on top of things.

thank you, ill try keeping up with work- also can i ask what other subjects you took
Reply 10
thank you, ill try keeping up with work- also can i ask what other subjects you took

i did biology, chemistry, maths and french

Quick Reply

Latest