The Student Room Group

question regarding GCSE qualification

Hi. I am new to my school and joined very late in year nine when the GCSE course had started. Due to this I could not pick my subjects and had to 'fill in'. I was given a BTEC health and social care however from what I know it is not worth as much as a say business study GCSE. I was wondering if this will affect my uni and so. I mean Russell group is quite strict about it but if I do not do it at A levels will I still run into problems. I understand this means potentially doing one less subject in A level but I am told I can get a distinction in health and social. Anyways I am wondering if it is worth it and just how much my carrier will suffer. It's just one BTEC subject. The rest are GCSE. Will it make THAT much of a difference on my uni application.
Reply 1
Original post by goltran
Hi. I am new to my school and joined very late in year nine when the GCSE course had started. Due to this I could not pick my subjects and had to 'fill in'. I was given a BTEC health and social care however from what I know it is not worth as much as a say business study GCSE. I was wondering if this will affect my uni and so. I mean Russell group is quite strict about it but if I do not do it at A levels will I still run into problems. I understand this means potentially doing one less subject in A level but I am told I can get a distinction in health and social. Anyways I am wondering if it is worth it and just how much my carrier will suffer. It's just one BTEC subject. The rest are GCSE. Will it make THAT much of a difference on my uni application.

As long as you have a decent set of GCSE subjects at decent grades then 1 BTEC will make none at all. There is no reason why taking a BTEC restricts the number of A levels you can take.

Quick Reply

Latest