The Student Room Group

I'm coming up to 60 my next birthday and have currently a CSE level 3 in Maths

what is this equivalent to regarding Level 2 functional skills? or GCSE Ive never had an issue regarding my qualifications but been encouraged to do a Level 2 Functional skills course, do I need this?
Reply 1
Before being able to answer, I think it would be useful to know what this would be for?

If you’ve never had an issue, then why are you interested? what are you being encouraged to do Lvl 2 for? Who is encouraging you?

For example, are you planning to go to university? Or need this for work? Or something else?

If you need this to apply for uni, then you may need to contact UCAS or the university directly to see how this grades translates into their equivalents eg. GCSEs and what that may mean for UCAS points too, to meet the entry requirements/criteria.

If you already have a degree, and want to go on to a postgrad, then doing this I don’t think would make a difference because you would have an undergrad degree and they wouldn’t needs grades from your school days.

Likewise, I can’t see how this would make a difference in applying for jobs or any career. By now, I’d assume you would have enough life or work experience that your CSEs wouldn’t matter or make a difference.
Reply 2
Original post by souljav
Before being able to answer, I think it would be useful to know what this would be for?

If you’ve never had an issue, then why are you interested? what are you being encouraged to do Lvl 2 for? Who is encouraging you?

For example, are you planning to go to university? Or need this for work? Or something else?

If you need this to apply for uni, then you may need to contact UCAS or the university directly to see how this grades translates into their equivalents eg. GCSEs and what that may mean for UCAS points too, to meet the entry requirements/criteria.

If you already have a degree, and want to go on to a postgrad, then doing this I don’t think would make a difference because you would have an undergrad degree and they wouldn’t needs grades from your school days.

Likewise, I can’t see how this would make a difference in applying for jobs or any career. By now, I’d assume you would have enough life or work experience that your CSEs wouldn’t matter or make a difference.

I work in a college as a Skills Coach and and recently completed my Level 4 in Teaching and Education they encouraged me to do this as part of that. I'm not applying to UNI in the future and struggling with the Level 2 and agree your last comment with life skills although Id still like to know what the equivalent is in regards to Level 2 functional... i don't see the point in stressing I work full time and its just a chor to be honest I cant understand that its not the equivalent but no one is really there to confirm?
Reply 3
From a search online,

CSE Level 3 is = to grade E (old gcse) or level 2 on the new system.

Functional skills level 2 = Grade C (Old) or 4 (new system)

The functional skills level 2 would be “worth” more / higher qualification etc that CSE Lvl 3.

Choice is yours depending on how essential it is for your job, career and employer and how much time and effort you want to put on it.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/after-results/exam-certificates/cse

https://passfunctionalskills.co.uk/functional-skills-level-2/#:~:text=Functional%20Skills%20Level%202%20in,level%204%20or%20grade%20C.
Reply 4
I work in a college as a Skills Coach and and recently completed my Level 4 in Teaching and Education they encouraged me to do this as part of that. I'm not applying to UNI in the future and struggling with the Level 2 and agree your last comment with life skills although Id still like to know what the equivalent is in regards to Level 2 functional... i don't see the point in stressing I work full time and its just a chor to be honest I cant understand that its not the equivalent but no one is really there to confirm?
Reply 5
Original post by LINDADEVEREUX

Whether you need it or not I can't say. If you ever aspired to achieving qualified teacher status your current level of maths would not suffice.
A CSE grade 1 would be equivalent to a Level 2 functional skills pass or to a GCSE grade 4 pass
A CSE grade 3 would roughly match the level of performance for a Level 1 functional skills pass.

Quick Reply

Latest