The Student Room Group

100 ums in AS Physics.

I know how to go about the technique for maths which is do lots of past papers. How do I get full ums in AQA A Physics at AS. What's the technique? Is it just to do lots of past papers? Because there are few for each unit. Will doing the old style past help also?
(edited 6 years ago)
um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um um
Reply 2
It depends on how you best learn.

Either way, you're probably going to be screwed over by the EMPA/ISA so you may as well give up on a 100% UMS.
It's generally the same as maths, so past papers.
I don't think anyone ever gets 100% because of the practical assessments. You're likely to lose 5%+ just to practical assessments.
I've done well on the Isa. All I want to know is how to get full ums in the exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Any help guys.
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
I know how to go about the technique for maths which is do lots of past papers. How do I get full ums in AQA A Physics at AS. What's the technique? Is it just to do lots of past papers? Because there are only 11 for each unit. Will doing the old style past help also?

Do papers, but look at the spec content as well. If you've books use them.
Mixture of past papers and making sure you understand everything in the specification
A CGP revision guide helped me a lot for A2, and especially the optional module in Unit 5, so I imagine it would be useful for AS as well. There are plenty of SUVAT questions in Mechanics 1 from Maths if you want to practice those (but I suspect you're good at them already if you're aiming for full UMS).

And 11 papers is a good amount :smile: there are only 4-5 for the Unit 5 exam. So just be familiar with how you can get/lose marks. Also for those exams you need some kind of background reading for when you get asked those questions that aren't necessarily in the textbook - like uses of capcitors in mobile phones (Unit 4). I can't think of any Unit 1/2 examples so sorry. If they do show up it Units 1/2 you'll have seen them in past papers and you'll know what kind of thing to expect, and just hope that you know the answer to what they ask for on the day.
Reply 9
I got full ums in physics as last year, it was ocr not aqa though. My advice would be make sure you understand everything completely, do every past paper, and honestly find where you lose marks and then make sure you understand why you did and dont make the same mistake again. also you anly need to get about 85% to get full ums so its not that daunting
Reply 10
I know how to go about the technique for maths which is do lots of past papers. How do I get full ums in AQA A Physics at AS. What's the technique? Is it just to do lots of past papers? Because there are only 11 for each unit. Will doing the old style past help also?

As everyone had mentioned: do loads and loads of past papers. Take notes on the questions you seem to drop marks on and revise them afterwards (e.g. Through YouTube vids or books).
Original post by bafid
I got full ums in physics as last year, it was ocr not aqa though. My advice would be make sure you understand everything completely, do every past paper, and honestly find where you lose marks and then make sure you understand why you did and dont make the same mistake again. also you anly need to get about 85% to get full ums so its not that daunting

I always seem to drop marks in the 6 mark questions so I'll work on that.
Original post by SeanFM
A CGP revision guide helped me a lot for A2, and especially the optional module in Unit 5, so I imagine it would be useful for AS as well. There are plenty of SUVAT questions in Mechanics 1 from Maths if you want to practice those (but I suspect you're good at them already if you're aiming for full UMS).

And 11 papers is a good amount :smile: there are only 4-5 for the Unit 5 exam. So just be familiar with how you can get/lose marks. Also for those exams you need some kind of background reading for when you get asked those questions that aren't necessarily in the textbook - like uses of capcitors in mobile phones (Unit 4). I can't think of any Unit 1/2 examples so sorry. If they do show up it Units 1/2 you'll have seen them in past papers and you'll know what kind of thing to expect, and just hope that you know the answer to what they ask for on the day.

Only 4 next year. I'm going to fail!

Only 4 next year. I'm going to fail!

Don't count yourself out :smile: just do as much work as you can before the past papers and then treat them like the real exam. It may not be many but it's still useful.

Quick Reply

Latest