The Student Room Group

Low AS UMS, should I give up on propspects of Oxbridge?

I've recently received my AS PUM or UMS results for 3 subjects. They're kinda low 87 for AS Chem, 88 for AS Maths and 90 for AS Physics. I messed up one module in AS Maths but the other one I have a near perfect score so my PUM or UMS is lower than expected. For physics and chemistry, practicals tilted me over. I know these aren't exactly valid reasons but they are reasons nonetheless. I'm just wanting to know if I should give up on any prospects to Cambridge or Oxford then.
Reply 1
depends of how competitive the specific subject you are applying to is
if you have an A* overall and meet the basic requirements, you can still give it a shot - nothing to lose
only thing is applications were extremely competitive this year and may be the next year as well due to covid and other factors
I've heard of gold medal olympiad winners getting rejected and oxbridge demanding further maths for medicine...
but don't let that put you off; if you think you satisfied the requirements, wrote an excellent personal statement, and performed well on any preinterview tests, written work, etc., you maybe shortlisted for interview
impress them overall and you might get in
oh and there is always extenuating circumstances that you can mention...
Reply 2
Original post by sbwhoexists
depends of how competitive the specific subject you are applying to is
if you have an A* overall and meet the basic requirements, you can still give it a shot - nothing to lose
only thing is applications were extremely competitive this year and may be the next year as well due to covid and other factors
I've heard of gold medal olympiad winners getting rejected and oxbridge demanding further maths for medicine...
but don't let that put you off; if you think you satisfied the requirements, wrote an excellent personal statement, and performed well on any preinterview tests, written work, etc., you maybe shortlisted for interview
impress them overall and you might get in
oh and there is always extenuating circumstances that you can mention...

I can't exactly get admissions under extenuating circumstances, I'm not from the UK.

I was planning to apply for Natural Sciences to Cambridge or Physics to Oxford.

Oh also, my A levels are

Physics
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths

I did 2 subjects only till AS, they are

Economics
English Language

The results for these 2 come later since I did them in a different session. I was told I only need to keep my main 3 A levels together in one sitting so I've done that.
Edit: spelling
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Randomboybill
I can't exactly get admissions under extenuating circumstances, I'm not from the UK.

I was planning to apply for Natural Sciences to Cambridge or Physics to Oxford.

Oh also, my A levels are

Physics
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths

I did 2 subjects only till AS, they are

Economics
English Language

The results for these 2 come later since I did them in a different session. I was told I only need to keep my main 3 A levels together in one sitting so I've done that.
Edit: spelling

You will have 5 A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and AS Economics + AS English Language.

When are you taking Further Maths? :s-smilie:

You would be more likely to be offered an interview at Cambridge University for Natural Sciences rather than Oxford.

Please look at Cambridge University online prospectuses on the college websites.
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
You will have 5 A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and AS Economics + AS English Language.

When are you taking Further Maths? :s-smilie:

You would be more likely to be offered an interview at Cambridge University for Natural Sciences rather than Oxford.

Please look at Cambridge University online prospectuses on the college websites.

I'm taking Further Maths in October November 2023. Maths, physics and chemistry final A2 exams are in February March 2024. Done all AS levels by now.
The three AS Levels I wrote my results for were done in February March 2023.
My AS levels for English and Economics happened recently in the ongoing May June 2023 session.

Overall here's a rundown.

February March 2023
AS Physics
AS Chemistry
AS Maths

May June 2023
AS Economics
AS English Language

October November 2023 (checked dates they don't clash with the NSAA)
A Level Further Maths

February March 2024
A Level Physics
A level Maths
A level Chemistry

CAIE doesn't offer A level Further Maths in the February March sessions that's why mine is in October November instead. I had a problem with my UMS or PUM bcz it's half of my grade. I've got 95 raw in Chem for AS but now for A2 I'll need 105+ raw to get over a 91-92 UMS. Maths is not as big of a problem. I messed up one module by mistake so my score is much lower but my pure module I got near 100 UMS so I can still count on my ability to do well in Mech and Pure for A2. Physics is Gucci, 90 UMS is safe enough that even if I lose 20 marks in A2 from my current score I have a very safe A*.
Reply 5
I'm taking Further Maths in October November 2023. Maths, physics and chemistry final A2 exams are in February March 2024. Done all AS levels by now.
The three AS Levels I wrote my results for were done in February March 2023.
My AS levels for English and Economics happened recently in the ongoing May June 2023 session.

Overall here's a rundown.

February March 2023
AS Physics
AS Chemistry
AS Maths

May June 2023
AS Economics
AS English Language

October November 2023 (checked dates they don't clash with the NSAA)
A Level Further Maths

February March 2024
A Level Physics
A level Maths
A level Chemistry

CAIE doesn't offer A level Further Maths in the February March sessions that's why mine is in October November instead. I had a problem with my UMS or PUM bcz it's half of my grade. I've got 95 raw in Chem for AS but now for A2 I'll need 105+ raw to get over a 91-92 UMS. Maths is not as big of a problem. I messed up one module by mistake so my score is much lower but my pure module I got near 100 UMS so I can still count on my ability to do well in Mech and Pure for A2. Physics is Gucci, 90 UMS is safe enough that even if I lose 20 marks in A2 from my current score I have a very safe A*.

If I was you, I would apply to Cambridge University, with your achieved grades and organise work experience in a science lab or similar. Cambridge University will ask for UMS scores or percentages, so it will give you a great chance to be called for interview.

Have you thought about Pembroke College, Cambridge University? :smile:
Reply 6
If I was you, I would apply to Cambridge University, with your achieved grades and organise work experience in a science lab or similar. Cambridge University will ask for UMS scores or percentages, so it will give you a great chance to be called for interview.

Have you thought about Pembroke College, Cambridge University? :smile:

Huh really? I thought my UMS is low so it'd be a problem. I'm trying for St John's mainly though but not entirely sure. I didn't exactly look at Pembrooke. I can though, thank you for the suggestion.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Huh really? I thought my UMS is low so it'd be a problem. I'm trying for St John's mainly though but not entirely sure. I didn't exactly look at Pembrooke. I can though, thank you for the suggestion.

Your UMS are fine, stop worrying. :biggrin: St. Johns is fiercely competitive. I would re-advise TRINITY HALL COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY!!! :smile:

This should help you:

https://www.information-hub.admin.cam.ac.uk/university-profile/student-numbers/student-numbers-college

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
Reply 8
Your UMS are fine, stop worrying. :biggrin: St. Johns is fiercely competitive. I would re-advise TRINITY HALL COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY!!! :smile:

This should help you:

https://www.information-hub.admin.cam.ac.uk/university-profile/student-numbers/student-numbers-college

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

I'll look at them. Ty so much for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending