The Student Room Group

Stuck on a Vectors question

I think it's right so far, but it's one of those PROVE questions, so I have no idea what to do next.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply 1
Absolutely spot on so far!

This might sound silly, but multiplying by 1 wont change the vector right? Can you see how multiplying OX by 5/5 (which is equal to one) will help you out? :smile:

Alternative: Try dividing one of the vectors by the other... (Note a+b =/=0)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by QPRTeags
I think it's right so far, but it's one of those PROVE questions, so I have no idea what to do next.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Looks good so far. For the next stage, look how you get from A to B and split it into the ratio

Scratch that. I read the question at the bottom wrong:colondollar:

CORRECT ADVICE: now you've got the equation of each line, substitute them in the formula you are trying to prove.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You're basically there, notice that if you multiply what you have for OY by 2/5, you get what you have for OX, or as stated above you can divide what you have for OX by what you have for OY you get 2/5.

actually what andy98 said was better, substitute OY into the equation and you'll get OX.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Associativity
You're basically there, notice that if you multiply what you have for OY by 2/5, you get what you have for OX, or as stated above you can divide what you have for OX by what you have for OY you get 2/5.

actually what andy98 said was better, substitute OY into the equation and you'll get OX.

Thanking you:wink:

Vectors I can do, even if I sometimes cock up reading the question lol:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Thanking you:wink:

Vectors I can do, even if I sometimes cock up reading the question lol:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry! I wouldn't have posted if I'd have seen your response, I thought that was quite a neat way of showing what you wanted to show.

"cock up reading the question lol", The amount of exam marks that must have been lost to that, annoying since you know what you're doing, you just got the correct answer to the incorrect question :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Associativity
Sorry! I wouldn't have posted if I'd have seen your response, I thought that was quite a neat way of showing what you wanted to show.

"cock up reading the question lol", The amount of exam marks that must have been lost to that, annoying since you know what you're doing, you just got the correct answer to the incorrect question :frown:

Hahaha it's alright mate - it's always an idea to teach different methods and let them decide what works for them.

Nahh usually I'm OK in the exam - think I was just half asleep and not paying attention when I posted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest