The Student Room Group

Edexcel Further Mathematics Mechanics Exam 14th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your Edexcel Further Mechanics exam go today?

Hey guys, thought of opening a further mechanics thread, so I am going to start with this:

Does anyone have any questions that are not from a textbook/past papers/madasmaths and is willing to send them on here?

Scroll to see replies

Nah mate, i dont have any exam questions but what do you think the question structure will look like
Reply 2
Original post by Random Usernamee
Nah mate, i dont have any exam questions but what do you think the question structure will look like

Idk hopefully similar to past papers tbh, and not something too difficult
Reply 3
Any one got any good top tips for M1?
Original post by Heisenberg66
Idk hopefully similar to past papers tbh, and not something too difficult

Fairs.
Reply 5
Collision in two dimensions (from MEI)

16. A red ball is stationary on a rectangular billiard table OABC. It is then struck by a white ball of equal mass and equal radius with velocity.
u(-2i+11j)
where i and j are unit vectors along OA and OC respectively. After impact the red and white balls have velocities parallel to the vectors -3i + 4j, 2i +4j respectively. Prove that the coefficient of restitution between the two balls is 1/2.

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by Heisenberg66
Hey guys, thought of opening a further mechanics thread, so I am going to start with this:

Does anyone have any questions that are not from a textbook/past papers/madasmaths and is willing to send them on here?

image.png
Reply 7
Original post by AshRevise
image.png

image (1).png

Happy to post my solutions to these, but searching the STEP year and paper number will bring up solutions online
Reply 8
Original post by Janus22
Any one got any good top tips for M1?

For me it's mainly timing - so probably just as much practice as possible in timed conditions.
Reply 9
image (1).png

Happy to post my solutions to these, but searching the STEP year and paper number will bring up solutions online

Thank u so much for these! Yeah I actually did not think about doing STEP questions
Reply 10
Does anyone have a bunch of oblique collisions questions where you have to use vectors and the dot product??
Reply 11
I don't know if it'll be much help but I have a copy of the AS further mechanics from this year if anyone wants it?
Reply 12
Original post by Zo3.
I don't know if it'll be much help but I have a copy of the AS further mechanics from this year if anyone wants it?

Yes please would you be able to send it? (idk if you are allowed to or can get disqualified tho)
Reply 13
Original post by Zo3.

That would be great please!
Reply 14
So I have a question about when finding the range of values for e. Everywhere I've seen it its been 0 <= e <= 1, however in the 2022 paper I've just finished Q5b and Q8a have the lower bound as 0 < e. and Q5 even says "Need both ends of the interval. Must be strict inequality at both ends". What are we meant to actually write in the exam!
Reply 15
Original post by joelcutler7
So I have a question about when finding the range of values for e. Everywhere I've seen it its been 0 <= e <= 1, however in the 2022 paper I've just finished Q5b and Q8a have the lower bound as 0 < e. and Q5 even says "Need both ends of the interval. Must be strict inequality at both ends". What are we meant to actually write in the exam!

show us the question
Does anyone know of any other specs or other resources that have a similar style to edexcel wherein it is mainly modelling questions
Reply 17
Original post by amrr
show us the question

I've uploaded them and the mark schemes here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EHPx1WYB0gDMlpZ0tKIaW5OOZ_-o89OG?usp=sharing
Reply 18

For question 5, e can’t be 0 as if that was the case speed of separation would be 0 so they won’t separate. Therefore there wouldn’t be a second collision.

For question 8, it says that the ball bounces of RS. If e was 0, it wouldn’t bounce and would just roll along RS, so e must be greater than 0

You need to analyse the context - in some cases e could be 0 and in some cases it cant
image (1).png

Can i have the link for the worked solutions and mark scheme please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending