The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Wicca

I was on another thread so I was just wondering what people thought of this relitively new religion. I have heard it described in many ways from a little teenage girls religion to one that it worshiping satan. Some people say it isn't really a religion and others say that it is. Just wondering what people thought of it. I obviously like it because I am a wiccan/pagan but I am not trying to get people to agree with me or convert I am just interested in what other people think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
piginapoke
Isn't it for people who think they can do magic?

Kind of, some do but not all, it is more to do with the yearly cycle of birth and rebirth and the seasons. It is more to do with directing energies in the same way that other religions pray. Some but not all wiccans cast spells.
Reply 2
It's not new, it's older than christianity.

In Britain it's part of our herritage and many people observe bits of it without realising it, such as the 'touch wood' for good luck.
I don't consider myself to be a wiccan, but I am a pagan and respect wicca/shamanism/druidism etc. :smile: It annoys me when usually responsible, lateral thinking adults, can somehow believe that paganism means being either satan worhipping or something for weirdos. In my experience pagans are some of the most kindest and welcoming people i've ever met (plus pagans don't even believe in a devil of any kind, we do good out of our own will, not to be scared into doing it! :confused: ). One major problem is of wicca being advertised as being 'buffyesque' or remeniscent of the film 'the craft' to kids in books and programmes which is a mistake. Paganism is a beautiful ancient nature religion, individual to each person, and the Gardiner revival of paganism and the bringing about of 'wicca' is in my eyes something to be celebrated.

Randdom, just wondering if you've ever been to any of the pagan federations conferences? Either local ones or the national one in Croydon? I've been to a few and they're loads of fun! :biggrin:
Reply 4
sashh
It's not new, it's older than christianity.

In Britain it's part of our herritage and many people observe bits of it without realising it, such as the 'touch wood' for good luck.

That's what I was going to say, isn't it a branch of Pagan spiritualism?
Reply 5
Randdom, just wondering if you've ever been to any of the pagan federations conferences? Either local ones or the national one in Croydon? I've been to a few and they're loads of fun!

No but I may in the future. A few of my friends have been to a few conferences but I haven't really been practicing for long.
Reply 6
DivineComedy
shamanism

I know I shouldn't, but for some reason I find this term ridiculously funny...it reminds me of Bo' Selecta...
Reply 7
im kinda studding wicca, but it's very hard considering im the only person i know in my area who is interested. Wicca is actuall relativly recent, for a religion anyway. Kind of a rebirth of paganism, remodled for the currant age. Very interested in these conferences that ave been mentioned, where are they, when and how much to go?
Teehee, proper bo'! Shamanism is actually a very ancient and interesting form of paganism, where shamans can dance, take mind altering drugs and go into trances foretelling events etc. And no, not just like your mate Ed on a Friday night at the nightclub... :rolleyes:
Ryoku
im kinda studding wicca, but it's very hard considering im the only person i know in my area who is interested. Wicca is actuall relativly recent, for a religion anyway. Kind of a rebirth of paganism, remodled for the currant age. Very interested in these conferences that ave been mentioned, where are they, when and how much to go?

If you're really interested in Paganism etc, you can subscribe to Pagan Dawn, a fantastic interesting magazine with topical articles, historical articles and tells you all about pagan events for every area. Local events are called moots and occur in pubs in most towns, then there are the pagan federation (PF)'s regional events e.g. the East midlands one a couple of years ago I went to ws at Derby Uni, and the national one in Croydon, both occur yearly. These events are loads of fun, with so many kind and welcoming people, there are so many interesting talks on subjects ranging from wine making to aboriginal culture, and lots of stalls.

Look on the PF website for more details: http://www.pagandawn.org/ :smile:
Forgot to say how much... for the regional and national events, for PF members I think about £6, £10 for non PF members can buy tickets on the door, or pre book usually. Can't really remember though :confused:
Reply 11
DivineComedy
If you're really interested in Paganism etc, you can subscribe to Pagan Dawn, a fantastic interesting magazine with topical articles, historical articles and tells you all about pagan events for every area. Local events are called moots and occur in pubs in most towns, then there are the pagan federation (PF)'s regional events e.g. the East midlands one a couple of years ago I went to ws at Derby Uni, and the national one in Croydon, both occur yearly. These events are loads of fun, with so many kind and welcoming people, there are so many interesting talks on subjects ranging from wine making to aboriginal culture, and lots of stalls.

Look on the PF website for more details: http://www.pagandawn.org/ :smile:
Cool, thanks for that!
Reply 12
Ryoku

There are also lots of good websites and books to help you if you type in wicca on google.
It's amazing how people don't view it as a religion. But then ask that person what makes a religion? They may be a bit stuck. I had previously thought that wicca was like a branch of paganism, as protestant and catholic is for Christianity. I've always wondered if paganism is covered by various race relations issues on religion and faith. I hope so because scientology has made it!

Wasn't Shaman a Native American in the X-Men cartoon series? :rolleyes:
Reply 14
randdom
Kind of, some do but not all, it is more to do with the yearly cycle of birth and rebirth and the seasons. It is more to do with directing energies in the same way that other religions pray. Some but not all wiccans cast spells.

They can cast spells? :rolleyes:
Speaking of spells. My dad has told me not to mess with a ouija board. Are they really that cracked up as they appear to be?
Reply 16
I'd agree DO NOT TOUCH A OUIJA BOARD.

As for casting spells, the following is a true event, take it as a spell, coincidence, a bit of a laugh, whatever:

I always put a dab of begamot oil on my cheque book to help my finances (tree hugging hippie as my friends call me). Anyway some friends were taking the piss out of me for this and so I go out the bergamot oil and we all put some on our wallets/purses.

At the time I was being taken to court for £10 000.00, my friends were trying to sell their house and the girl of the couple was setting up a business making wedding tiaras, the final friend had the usual credit card debt students have.

Two days later the couple sold their house for the asking price in cash to a couple who owned a wedding shop and who were interested in buying my friend's tiaras.

Within the week the Bank dropped their case against me and wrote off the debt.

The final friend didn't recieve a credit card statement for 6 months.

BTW you can buy bergamot oil at the Bodyshop
Reply 17
PadFoot90
They can cast spells? :rolleyes:

They believe they can cast spells. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
I don´t have a problem with Wicca at all. Is it close to shamanism? We have shamans here in Finland.
Reply 19
I also understand that wicca uses the 'forces of nature' as a part of their religion.

Latest

Trending

Trending