The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Wicca

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
randdom
I was on another thread so I was just wondering what people thought of this relitively new religion. I have heard it described in many ways from a little teenage girls religion to one that it worshiping satan. Some people say it isn't really a religion and others say that it is. Just wondering what people thought of it. I obviously like it because I am a wiccan/pagan but I am not trying to get people to agree with me or convert I am just interested in what other people think.

I think its really interesting. and actually agree with alot of the principles behind it.
Reply 41
sashh
The Oxford English Dictionary difines Pagan as: -

· n. a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.
· adj. of or relating to pagans or their beliefs.
DERIVATIVES paganish adj. paganism n. paganize (also paganise) v.
ORIGIN ME: from L. paganus ‘villager, rustic’, from pagus ‘country district’; L. paganus also meant ‘civilian’, becoming, in Christian L., ‘heathen’.

That's good enough for me.

so it is not confined to wicca then
blissy
Innate ability? To what? Impossibly change situations? You can't have innate ability to do the impossible. :rolleyes:

No. There is an innate quality in those who can truly use any sort of 'magic' ability. I don't understand how it works as such, how people have or don't have this ability, but it certainly occurs, but the people it tends to occur in are those who are not as vocal about their practice of it.
Reply 43
so if i wanted 2 know more bout wicca what would b sum good site 2 go on
Reply 44
tonka
so if i wanted 2 know more bout wicca what would b sum good site 2 go on

google- type in "wicca" and you will get a whole load of sites willing to tell you about the circle of life/ nature/ mystic runes/ fate. take your pick
Reply 45
riffraff
google- type in "wicca" and you will get a whole load of sites willing to tell you about the circle of life/ nature/ mystic runes/ fate. take your pick
i'v tried that, sum say one thing + other say the complete opposite, so what is the truth
Reply 46
tonka
i'v tried that, sum say one thing + other say the complete opposite, so what is the truth

there isn't one- before the romans invaded and spread their religion (as well as christianity) the prevaling beliefs among the european peoples were polytheistic (sp?) and focused on the personification of natural forces. There were many different versions, as information was passed on by word of mouth and there were no religious texts- so very little information survives.

because of this, there has recently been a huge increase in the number of people practising "wicca", without being very definate as to what it actually involves- it should be noted that many instances in the current practice of this religion do not have a historical basis and many of the rites/ rituals/ and runes bear no resemblance in appearance or meaning to those originally used.

Latest

Trending

Trending