The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Binary Freak
Ohh DAMN!!! :rofl:

[scroll] :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:[/scroll]

If you wanna see worse, go on the Fallout 4 thread :rofl:
Original post by T.I.P
I want to see a decent build for 500 NEW then I will stfu

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here you are, a build which has better specs than the PS4 and costs £369.75, all parts new. I haven't included an operating system since PS4 runs on a FreeBSD derivative and in the interests of fair comparisons, the build should have GNU/Linux.

In the spirit of the original discussion, IMO the tech specs of the XBOne are better but PS4 has better exclusives (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Uncharted, TLoU).
Original post by thatllbeme
Here you are, a build which has better specs than the PS4 and costs £369.75, all parts new. I haven't included an operating system since PS4 runs on a FreeBSD derivative and in the interests of fair comparisons, the build should have GNU/Linux.

In the spirit of the original discussion, IMO the tech specs of the XBOne are better but PS4 has better exclusives (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Uncharted, TLoU).

Pretty much case closed right here. Even if you want to nitpick and include the OS, it still comes out to better value overall compared to any next gen console. This 400 pounds is enough to run pretty much anything on the market right now on high-very high, and certainly exceeding console quality.
Original post by Fango_Jett
Pretty much case closed right here. Even if you want to nitpick and include the OS, it still comes out to better value overall compared to any next gen console. This 400 pounds is enough to run pretty much anything on the market right now on high-very high, and certainly exceeding console quality.

Not to forget the aggregate cost of buying games! It'll come out much, much cheaper to, say, buy 20 games during Christmas sales on PC compared to PS4. Prices on PC hit rock bottom pretty quickly (FC3 for £3!) while PS3/4 prices tend to stay high even years after release.
Original post by thatllbeme
Not to forget the aggregate cost of buying games! It'll come out much, much cheaper to, say, buy 20 games during Christmas sales on PC compared to PS4. Prices on PC hit rock bottom pretty quickly (FC3 for £3!) while PS3/4 prices tend to stay high even years after release.

This is more of a can of worms, it depends on the person.

You could argue PC costs more, given thousands of people have been duped into buying hundreds, thousands even, of Steam games because they were 'cheap' and on sale. Your stereotypical Steam sucker has over 2,000 games but has only played way less than 100. Even if he got all those games for £1, that's still a loss of nearly £2,000.

Then add to that that Steam isn't even Steam any more. People are slowly realising Steam isn't all that cheap any more, not as much as it used to be anyway. It's all about GoG and G2A now.

Plus console games can be sold. The patient and astute buyer/seller can even make a profit playing games.
Original post by ozzyoscy
This is more of a can of worms, it depends on the person.

You could argue PC costs more, given thousands of people have been duped into buying hundreds, thousands even, of Steam games because they were 'cheap' and on sale. Your stereotypical Steam sucker has over 2,000 games but has only played way less than 100. Even if he got all those games for £1, that's still a loss of nearly £2,000.

Then add to that that Steam isn't even Steam any more. People are slowly realising Steam isn't all that cheap any more, not as much as it used to be anyway. It's all about GoG and G2A now.

Plus console games can be sold. The patient and astute buyer/seller can even make a profit playing games.

Are we really arguing that because PC games are cheaper, people buy more and hence PC gaming is actually more expensive? Now that's what I call reaching. That is not a problem with the platform. It's a problem with people. I use something called restraint and I'm doing fine. The person with 2000 games is also not a sucker if he doesn't mind spending that much. People have console collections too. Are they also just suckers who have been duped by the media or something?

Steam is still cheap during sales, don't know what you mean at all. Have you got any evidence otherwise? Either way, Steam isn't PC gaming and the fact that other stores offer discounts as well is a positive, not a negative.

Buying/reselling the games is good for the consumer I guess but the developer gets none of that money. I've also never heard of someone making a profit from this.
Original post by Pinkhead
Are we really arguing that because PC games are cheaper, people buy more and hence PC gaming is actually more expensive? Now that's what I call reaching. That is not a problem with the platform. It's a problem with people. I use something called restraint and I'm doing fine. The person with 2000 games is also not a sucker if he doesn't mind spending that much. People have console collections too. Are they also just suckers who have been duped by the media or something?

Steam is still cheap during sales, don't know what you mean at all. Have you got any evidence otherwise? Either way, Steam isn't PC gaming and the fact that other stores offer discounts as well is a positive, not a negative.

Buying/reselling the games is good for the consumer I guess but the developer gets none of that money. I've also never heard of someone making a profit from this.

- We're not arguing anything, and I'm not reaching for anything. I like PC and console, I'm just one of those psychos that likes games for games. So I'm looking at this fairly, this isn't you vs them.

- Who it's a problem for is irrelevant. I said it would be more expensive for said person if they did that, which it would. Discounts and the marketing of that is an integral part of the PC market either way.

- If you pay out for 2,000 of anything and only use 50 of them, you have been suckered in, you are the sucker. I'm not commenting on collectors, though the idea of 'collecting' digital games sounds completely mental and I would expect they have indeed been suckered in, but for different reasons not on-topic.

- 'Cheap' is relative, but at no point did I say Steam wasn't cheap. Please avoid these misdirection tactics.

- The developer is irrelevant. You were talking about the cost of someone to buy PC games. I replied keeping with the same subject. Please avoid these misdirection tactics.

- You never hearing of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Unlike what apparently you and many internet warriors believe, you're not omniscient. A more sane response would've been "I've not heard of this before. Share your experiences of this as I would like to learn more of this new concept to me."

P.S. Don't even think of suckering me into an essay internet battle. I've politely warned you in this post of a couple of instances, so the first sign of this and I'll have to cut you off and end the discussion, so that you may respond with a declaration of victory and a short speech of something involving the words 'owned', 'hater' and 'butthurt'.
(edited 8 years ago)
After my GCSE exams, I'm most likely going to get the Xbox One; Sunset Overdrive looks awesome, along with Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ozzyoscy
- We're not arguing anything, and I'm not reaching for anything. I like PC and console, I'm just one of those psychos that likes games for games. So I'm looking at this fairly, this isn't you vs them.

P.S. Don't even think of suckering me into an essay internet battle. I've politely warned you in this post of a couple of instances, so the first sign of this and I'll have to cut you off and end the discussion, so that you may respond with a declaration of victory and a short speech of something involving the words 'owned', 'hater' and 'butthurt'.

Yes you are reaching. The person you replied to was talking about the PC platform being cheaper in comparison to the consoles when you buy the same amount of games. You turned this into PC gamers buying thousands of games, for some reason. Of course, I could be mistaken about your initial point here.

I find it strange that you feel the need to provide a set of criteria for me to follow when replying to you when your post is the epitome of passive aggressiveness and you would have received a much better response from me if you replied like a normal human being. My post was just as much a normal reply as yours was to the OP.There's no need for a "polite warning" at all and writing that out just makes you seem unecessarily hostile.

- Who it's a problem for is irrelevant. I said it would be more expensive for said person if they did that, which it would. Discounts and the marketing of that is an integral part of the PC market either way.

I still don't get your point. Why did you mention 2000 games in the first place? It had nothing to do with what the person you replied to said. You basically said: "PC costs more if you buy more". He was talking about the cost when buying the same amount of games. I mean, you said I used misdirection tactics but it seems to me like you did too.

- 'Cheap' is relative, but at no point did I say Steam wasn't cheap. Please avoid these misdirection tactics.

Ok then, can you provide evidence that steam "isn't all that cheap anymore"? I apologise for not wording it the way you did. However, have you heard of giving someone the benefit of the doubt instead of claiming that they using supposed misdirection tactics?

Glad you commented on what's actually important though, i.e. "Either way, Steam isn't PC gaming and the fact that other stores offer discounts as well is a positive, not a negative". I mean, the OP didn't even mention Steam at all!

The developer is irrelevant. You were talking about the cost of someone to buy PC games. I replied keeping with the same subject. Please avoid these misdirection tactics.

It's not a misdirection, it's an acknowledgement of your point (did you read the part where I said "Buying/reselling the games is good for the consumer I guess"?) and further discussion regarding the effect on developers because the topic is interesting, which you were free to ignore. If you stopped being so defensive maybe you'd realise this and react normally instead of acting like I'm on a crusade to defeat you or something.

"I've not heard of this before. Share your experiences of this as I would like to learn more of this new concept to me."

No, I will not suck up to you when replying. My initial post was polite and sane enough and I certainly didn't claim I was omniscient. "I've never heard of someone making a profit from this" is a completely normal statement by someone who has never heard of this. So are you going to share these experiences now or am I still not sane enough?
Original post by Killerpenguin15
Neither PS4 or xbox one are good.

Xbox 360 is better than Xbox One imo. There are more games available for the former as well. You can play original Xbox games on a 360 as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't play Xbox 360 games on an Xbox One, can you? More reason to shun.
Original post by Pinkhead
Yes you are reaching. The person you replied to was talking about the PC platform being cheaper in comparison to the consoles when you buy the same amount of games. You turned this into PC gamers buying thousands of games, for some reason. Of course, I could be mistaken about your initial point here.

I find it strange that you feel the need to provide a set of criteria for me to follow when replying to you when your post is the epitome of passive aggressiveness

Ok, ending it here then. You approched this discussion all wrong. I'm not having an internet argument with you, as much as you want one. Now cue your last word.
Original post by connieiscrazy
Xbox 360 is better than Xbox One imo. There are more games available for the former as well. You can play original Xbox games on a 360 as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't play Xbox 360 games on an Xbox One, can you? More reason to shun.

Ah, the Xbox 360! I still have a 360 alongside my xbox one, both are very good consoles. I still sometimes play on my 360 So that I can play some of the older games that are too old to be ported to the xbox one. Namely NFS most wanted (2005) which, IMO, is one of the best games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Awesome storyline, Awesome car customisation, and none of this 3D CGI bulls#*t, actual actors playing the cutscenes lol :biggrin:
Reply 112
Why am I a poor man's console?
Reply 113
Original post by haseeb1
I dont know why people delude themselves into thinking ANY console is better than a high end or even mid end PC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheaper and because it's easier and more fun to play some games like Fifa.
Original post by Pra99
more fun to play some games like Fifa.

You can plug an Xbox controller in and use that (and through different software use almost any controller you want) to play most games (including virtually every game that's released on both PC and consoles) in exactly the same way as a console if you wanted to :fyi:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 115
With consoles you can play games on a 50 inch tv while on a pc, about 25 inch. I'm not saying console or pc is better, I think they are both good in their own ways but I think consoles are more convenient and its better if your playing with 3 or more other people because there would be more space to sit down ( if you get what I mean)
Original post by Pra99
With consoles you can play games on a 50 inch tv while on a pc, about 25 inch. I'm not saying console or pc is better, I think they are both good in their own ways but I think consoles are more convenient and its better if your playing with 3 or more other people because there would be more space to sit down ( if you get what I mean)

What makes you think you can't plug a PC into a large TV as easily as a console, or that they aren't as good for it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 118
The way your talking, the pc involves a lot of extra plugging in. Listen, I'm not trying to start an argument here, I merely stated why people use consoles. I use it because it is more convenient. (And cheaper)
Original post by haseeb1
I dont know why people delude themselves into thinking ANY console is better than a high end or even mid end PC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah i wonder that as well.

PC is just light years ahead of consoles...

Latest