The Student Room Group

Selling my gaming PC for uni

Hey guys, in a month I will be starting my business degree and I don't know if I should sell my gaming PC and buy instead a PS5 and a laptop. Just because I think both of them have more comodity and if im going to move to another uni in a year its more convenient. What should I do?
Reply 1
Idk totally up to you
Original post by gavran
Hey guys, in a month I will be starting my business degree and I don't know if I should sell my gaming PC and buy instead a PS5 and a laptop. Just because I think both of them have more comodity and if im going to move to another uni in a year its more convenient. What should I do?

You could look at getting yourself a Gaming Laptop - the Asus TUF Dash F15 has an Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM (upgradable to 16GB), a 512GB disk, Nvidia RTX 3060 graphics and a 144Hz 15.6 Inch screen for £999 on laptops direct at the moment. If you've got a higher budget then you can get RTX 4060 graphics for about £1500. Make sure you get insurance that covers your laptop at university though!
Original post by gavran

It depends what you want from your fleet of devices including gaming, like are the games you play on pc also on playstation? But also how much is it going to cost to transfer over? It might be the case that having a gaming computer would result in being cheaper than transfering over to playstation. But i would still recommend having a laptop for uni either way, because it'll help with note taking for in person lectures.
What i'm doing: Me personally am taking my Gaming computer as well as a laptop for note taking, the reasoning for this is that i mainly play games on pc and I would lose out on games i enjoy if i moved over to gaming console, the laptop is for note taking or light gaming at society's. Hope this helped at all :smile:
-Blue
Original post by BeingBoring
You could look at getting yourself a Gaming Laptop - the Asus TUF Dash F15 has an Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM (upgradable to 16GB), a 512GB disk, Nvidia RTX 3060 graphics and a 144Hz 15.6 Inch screen for £999 on laptops direct at the moment. If you've got a higher budget then you can get RTX 4060 graphics for about £1500. Make sure you get insurance that covers your laptop at university though!

If op was going to do this they'd have to consider fan noise from the laptop especially in lectures, but yeh this is a great option imo.
Reply 5
Original post by Bluenightshade18
It depends what you want from your fleet of devices including gaming, like are the games you play on pc also on playstation? But also how much is it going to cost to transfer over? It might be the case that having a gaming computer would result in being cheaper than transfering over to playstation. But i would still recommend having a laptop for uni either way, because it'll help with note taking for in person lectures.
What i'm doing: Me personally am taking my Gaming computer as well as a laptop for note taking, the reasoning for this is that i mainly play games on pc and I would lose out on games i enjoy if i moved over to gaming console, the laptop is for note taking or light gaming at society's. Hope this helped at all :smile:
-Blue

Hi, tbh I played a lot of story games in my gaming pc and im not a fan of replaying games you know, the only stuff i play everyday is Rocket League and FIFA, also i want to try the story mode games that are exclusive on PlayStation. I think its gonna cost but the convenience takes a lot of the part on this decision because i don't know if in 3 years from now im going to be in another country? But tbh im kinda indecisive over this because i've been gaming with a pc for 4-5 years. Should i keep my gaming accounts (like epic games, rockstar...etc) just in case I decide to buy again a gaming PC?
Reply 6

Thanks man for the recommendation, to be honest im not a big fan of gaming laptops because when i get to uni I want to separate work from gaming and a gaming laptop could distract me a lot? What do you think? Tbh i don't know what to do lol
Original post by gavran
Hi, tbh I played a lot of story games in my gaming pc and im not a fan of replaying games you know, the only stuff i play everyday is Rocket League and FIFA, also i want to try the story mode games that are exclusive on PlayStation. I think its gonna cost but the convenience takes a lot of the part on this decision because i don't know if in 3 years from now im going to be in another country? But tbh im kinda indecisive over this because i've been gaming with a pc for 4-5 years. Should i keep my gaming accounts (like epic games, rockstar...etc) just in case I decide to buy again a gaming PC?

After reading your other post I would say that moving over to a laptop and ps5 combo would be best for you! But I would still recommend keeping your games accounts, Like you said if you do decide to buy a gaming computer in the future you'll still want access to them! Having a laptop and ps5 would allow you to move much easier in comparison to a computer tower, but if you were going to move country consider the ps5 controllers (they have lithium batteries) but it'd also allow you to keep a better work/reward balance. (Ps not sure what country you're in but CEX is a great shop for cheap second hand console games) Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Bluenightshade18
After reading your other post I would say that moving over to a laptop and ps5 combo would be best for you! But I would still recommend keeping your games accounts, Like you said if you do decide to buy a gaming computer in the future you'll still want access to them! Having a laptop and ps5 would allow you to move much easier in comparison to a computer tower, but if you were going to move country consider the ps5 controllers (they have lithium batteries) but it'd also allow you to keep a better work/reward balance. (Ps not sure what country you're in but CEX is a great shop for cheap second hand console games) Hope this helps :smile:

Love your advice man. The only issue rn is the expensive price of PS5 because rn is going for 500-600€ and tbh is too much for a console. Also, not a big fan of second hand stuff because you don't know what the last owner did with the console and how much did he use it, he could always lie. I found a offer in my mobile company that is a ps5 for 1€ per month for 24 months and maybe I could do it. What do you think
Original post by gavran

Loads of people bring their gaming PC's to uni :yep: I knew a load of people in my flat over the last x2 years have brought everything from gaming PC's, to PS5's and Nintendo Switches including myself. If you have a gaming PC I would bring that, if transporting it isn't too much of an issue. Then that means you don't have to invest in any PS5's/Steam Decks plus you get to keep your current setup. But if you haven't got a laptop/tablet or something more portable to use in seminars and lectures, you could always pick something up even if it's secondhand or refurbished :smile: For uni I'd say a laptop is worth investing in over a PS5, especially when you've already got the games on PC.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by gavran
Thanks man for the recommendation, to be honest im not a big fan of gaming laptops because when i get to uni I want to separate work from gaming and a gaming laptop could distract me a lot? What do you think? Tbh i don't know what to do lol

I think that they have a low power mode for 'normal' use which quietens them down a lot, but they are bit bigger and heavier than normal, might be too much to lug around with you all day..... If you want to minimise your 'temptation' to stray away from working you might be better off looking at a top-end chrome book (i.e. Pixelbook or even a MS Slate), whatever you choose I would get yourself a personal Microsoft Office 365 subscription (~£55 a year) which comes with 1Tb of OneDrive cloud storage space and you can set all of the office apps to auto backup to that - so you've always got your assignment work backed up to the cloud for peace of mind... Some uni's might provide you with that so worth checking...
Reply 11
I think that they have a low power mode for 'normal' use which quietens them down a lot, but they are bit bigger and heavier than normal, might be too much to lug around with you all day..... If you want to minimise your 'temptation' to stray away from working you might be better off looking at a top-end chrome book (i.e. Pixelbook or even a MS Slate), whatever you choose I would get yourself a personal Microsoft Office 365 subscription (~£55 a year) which comes with 1Tb of OneDrive cloud storage space and you can set all of the office apps to auto backup to that - so you've always got your assignment work backed up to the cloud for peace of mind... Some uni's might provide you with that so worth checking...

Do you know which are good laptops ? I have planned to buy a macbook because its compatible with my apple accesories and I heard a lot of good things about it. However, an apple laptop is expensive but a chromebook is like gambling because the laptop can be either very good or either bad
Reply 12
One thing to consider is if your degree might include lots of coding or data processing (ie for a dissertation) having a gaming PC with a lot of processing power might be very helpful. My mid specs laptop struggled to cope with some of the data analysis programs we were using on my degree but having my gaming PC meant I could process the massive datasets I was using for my dissertation without having to go to the lab and sit there for hours running stuff on uni computers. But a laptop is really necessary for university, you don’t need something massively high spec (and imo macbooks are a massive waste of money for what you get). So if keeping the gaming PC means you wouldn’t be able to afford a laptop for uni then selling the PC might be the way to go.
Reply 13
Original post by eeeli
One thing to consider is if your degree might include lots of coding or data processing (ie for a dissertation) having a gaming PC with a lot of processing power might be very helpful. My mid specs laptop struggled to cope with some of the data analysis programs we were using on my degree but having my gaming PC meant I could process the massive datasets I was using for my dissertation without having to go to the lab and sit there for hours running stuff on uni computers. But a laptop is really necessary for university, you don’t need something massively high spec (and imo macbooks are a massive waste of money for what you get). So if keeping the gaming PC means you wouldn’t be able to afford a laptop for uni then selling the PC might be the way to go.

Hi, I don't think my degree would require a lot of programing and coding, just the basics stuff you know. However I wan't to replace my gaming PC for a laptop and a ps5 to continue gaming but to separate both. But buying a windows laptop its like very random because sometimes they are good sometimes they r horrible
Reply 14
Original post by gavran
Hi, I don't think my degree would require a lot of programing and coding, just the basics stuff you know. However I wan't to replace my gaming PC for a laptop and a ps5 to continue gaming but to separate both. But buying a windows laptop its like very random because sometimes they are good sometimes they r horrible

fair enough, having a powerful PC won't make much difference then! true re windows, its probably easier to buy a mac and know you're getting a good machine but I prefer the range of options you get with windows laptops so don't mind putting the time in to find a good one. each to their own i suppose!
Original post by gavran
Do you know which are good laptops ? I have planned to buy a macbook because its compatible with my apple accesories and I heard a lot of good things about it. However, an apple laptop is expensive but a chromebook is like gambling because the laptop can be either very good or either bad

Like a lot of things there is no straightforward answer to that question. I'd always go for an Intel processor, minimum of an i5 for me and at the moment the 12th generation is as good as it gets. Consider 16Gb of memory as a minimum, and you shouldn't have anything other than an SSD drive but the capacity you need depends what you want to do. Then there is screen size and weight, and anything current should have USB-C sockets which will allow you to connect a desk dock with a keyboard, mouse and screen connected so you can get a desktop experience when working on stuff. Lenovo make some great laptops (X1 Nano Gen 2 is £799 at the moment which is a bargain as it is a top of the range carbon fibre & magnesium cased device, or the X1 Carbon 11 is a little bigger but £2k), Dell make some good laptops as do HP, Asus are good for gaming laptops (TUF & ROG). They all have a variety of top end laptops and lower end ones, it get's a bit down to personal choice - best idea is to find a local large Currys and they'll have a decent selection out for you to play with. Try the keyboards, most have 'chiclet' style keyboard, some are backlit (v.useful for low light use), some are plastic, some are metal - it all gets a bit down to personal choice vs. what your prepared to pay at that point.... But don't forget the insurance!
Reply 16
Like a lot of things there is no straightforward answer to that question. I'd always go for an Intel processor, minimum of an i5 for me and at the moment the 12th generation is as good as it gets. Consider 16Gb of memory as a minimum, and you shouldn't have anything other than an SSD drive but the capacity you need depends what you want to do. Then there is screen size and weight, and anything current should have USB-C sockets which will allow you to connect a desk dock with a keyboard, mouse and screen connected so you can get a desktop experience when working on stuff. Lenovo make some great laptops (X1 Nano Gen 2 is £799 at the moment which is a bargain as it is a top of the range carbon fibre & magnesium cased device, or the X1 Carbon 11 is a little bigger but £2k), Dell make some good laptops as do HP, Asus are good for gaming laptops (TUF & ROG). They all have a variety of top end laptops and lower end ones, it get's a bit down to personal choice - best idea is to find a local large Currys and they'll have a decent selection out for you to play with. Try the keyboards, most have 'chiclet' style keyboard, some are backlit (v.useful for low light use), some are plastic, some are metal - it all gets a bit down to personal choice vs. what your prepared to pay at that point.... But don't forget the insurance!

hey man, i just got an offer to sell it for 500 bucks, that already can buy me a ps5. (btw the original price of the pc was 1050 and it alr passed a year) do you think i should go for it? also i thought of lending my cousin my epic games, rockstar, steam and minecraft account. and if i regret i can always ask him to give them back to me
Original post by gavran
hey man, i just got an offer to sell it for 500 bucks, that already can buy me a ps5. (btw the original price of the pc was 1050 and it alr passed a year) do you think i should go for it? also i thought of lending my cousin my epic games, rockstar, steam and minecraft account. and if i regret i can always ask him to give them back to me

Might be a great deal or it might be a bad deal - I really don't know, but if you are happy with the offer then that is all that counts really... As for lending out your gaming accounts, once you hand them over you may never get them back, that is the risk you take....

Quick Reply

Latest