The Student Room Group

Medicine entry requirements

I was wondering if I could get into a UK university to study medicine because in 5th year I only sat 3 highers (chemistry, English and Modern studies) and 2 national 5s ( Maths and Biology). I intent to sit advanced higher in chemistry plus a higher in maths, admin & IT, and biology. Is there any possibilities that I could study medicine in a UK university. Please help me out. Thanks!
Original post by Delna26diya
I was wondering if I could get into a UK university to study medicine because in 5th year I only sat 3 highers (chemistry, English and Modern studies) and 2 national 5s ( Maths and Biology). I intent to sit advanced higher in chemistry plus a higher in maths, admin & IT, and biology. Is there any possibilities that I could study medicine in a UK university. Please help me out. Thanks!

It is unfortunately highly unlikely that you would be able to study medicine as a first degree. Almost all Scottish Universities want 5 A's at Higher in first sitting, or at least 4 As and a B. That is just to be considered and not be outright rejected. They would also want a second science taken in 5th year They would then be looking for at least 2 advanced Highers- probably at A + more Highers. Realistically 3Advanced Highers in most circumstances Only really exceptional circumstances, would be considered if this was not the case. English universities would be even harder as they generally just look at Advanced Highers and would want 3 A's in 6th year.

I know people with 5 As in 5th year who didn't even get interviews for medical school- it is ridiculously competitive-

Your best bet would be to take a first degree in some medical related subject- get a very good degree- and then attempt to get onto a graduate medical degree.
Reply 2
Should i try applying for medicine in another european country like Italy or Romania??? What chance would i have in getting in??? What are the entry requirements they ask for???
Original post by Delna26diya
Should i try applying for medicine in another european country like Italy or Romania??? What chance would i have in getting in??? What are the entry requirements they ask for???

I have no knowledge of studying medicine abroad- but I suspect that most universities will have equally high academic requirements. Even if you can find one that will consider you you have to accept that these courses have very high academic entrance requirements for a reason. If you only took three Highers in 5th year, and only one science do you think you will be able to cope with the academic side of the course? You haven't said why you only took 3 Highers- if there are reasons, and I mean real reasons that you didn't take 5 Highers? Why did you only take Nat 5 in maths and Biology ? If you were "Not ready" to take Higher in them then the truth is you are probably not up to studying medicine- I am sorry if that sounds harsh- but there is no point telling you something that is not true.

There is also a language problem-DO you speak Italian or Romanian? Even if the course is taught in and your fellow students speak good English- when you get towards the end of the course you are going to have to communicate with patients many of whom will not speak English. You don't seem to have any language Highers- Do you think you would be able to pick up the language of the place you study in ?

How will you pay for the course abroad ?

If you want to go down this route you need to do your own research not ask complete strangers on a student forum. I am sure there is plenty of information out there if you look.
Reply 4
You should look at universities in Bulgaria where you can study medicine and they are quite popular. These include Plovdiv and Pleven. I have a friend who was reconsidering studying abroad and was in a similar situation in terms of what to do like you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending