The Student Room Group

Higher modern studies 2024

I’m sitting higher modern studies after getting a D in national 5 (I know how tf did I manage that), I’m wondering if anyone has some sort of theory to what essay questions they think are most likely to come up this year. Help x
Reply 1
Original post by Kelseygibson
I’m sitting higher modern studies after getting a D in national 5 (I know how tf did I manage that), I’m wondering if anyone has some sort of theory to what essay questions they think are most likely to come up this year. Help x

Heyy,
Instead of guessing what questions MAY come up. Study the topics, put them into chunks of things you find hardest first to easiest and once u have done a topic a day on top of that do some timed past papers after! wish u luck xx
Reply 2

As somebody else said, it's much better to revise almost all of them (except you can get away with not knowing 2 for democracy, and 1 for the other 2 sections). However, accountability and pressure groups seem like common ones for democracy, and since there has been a question on voting behaviour for the last 2 years I think it's less likely to come out. Unfortunately for me since it's my worst section, I don't think the 12 marker will be in democracy.
Reply 3
Original post by AMH_2007
As somebody else said, it's much better to revise almost all of them (except you can get away with not knowing 2 for democracy, and 1 for the other 2 sections). However, accountability and pressure groups seem like common ones for democracy, and since there has been a question on voting behaviour for the last 2 years I think it's less likely to come out. Unfortunately for me since it's my worst section, I don't think the 12 marker will be in democracy.

12 marker is going to be on the USA
Reply 4
Original post by ZK40

How do you know
Reply 5
Original post by ZK40

Why do you think that? IMO it's likely going to be in either social inequalities (or crime depending on what your school teaches) or international issues (which includes the USA topic but my school is doing terrorism)
Reply 6
Hello, do we get 3 essay options this year for social inequality and china or just two? our teacher has said 3 this whole year but someone online told me it’s only 2?
Reply 7
Original post by ZK40

It’s very unlikely for USA to be 12 marker as 2021 paper was a 12 marker, democracy will be 20 marker, social inequality will be a 12 marker, and USA will be 20 marks
Reply 8

For democracy: media’s impact on voting behaviour (has not came up past 4 years), pressure group, either Brexit or holding the government to account through citizens (participation)

Voting behaviour will likely not come up as it was in 21/22/23 papers and so was electoral system, make sure to memorise at least 4 essays, but 5 for security.

Plus Scotlands system developed better not come up lol cause my school doesn’t have an essay for this and electoral system ✊😫
Reply 9
Original post by Emma_?
For democracy: media’s impact on voting behaviour (has not came up past 4 years), pressure group, either Brexit or holding the government to account through citizens (participation)
Voting behaviour will likely not come up as it was in 21/22/23 papers and so was electoral system, make sure to memorise at least 4 essays, but 5 for security.
Plus Scotlands system developed better not come up lol cause my school doesn’t have an essay for this and electoral system ✊😫

do you mean 4 essays for each unit?
Original post by Bshara
Hello, do we get 3 essay options this year for social inequality and china or just two? our teacher has said 3 this whole year but someone online told me it’s only 2?

2 for social inequality and china and 3 for democracy
Last year had at least 3 options for each section. Will that be the same this year or was only because of COVID
Original post by JJ67WP
Last year had at least 3 options for each section. Will that be the same this year or was only because of COVID

This year its 2 each for social issues and world issues (or crime and the law + world power), 3 for democracy
you get 3 options for democracy buy only 2 for social equality and China. it has only been 3 in previous years as a modification due to covid
hum there wasn't an exam in 2021?
Original post by StolenGalaxy
This year its 2 each for social issues and world issues (or crime and the law + world power), 3 for democracy

Thanks mate, any chance you know if paper 2 is going to be different?
Original post by JJ67WP
Thanks mate, any chance you know if paper 2 is going to be different?

I'm pretty sure paper 2 wasn't changed during covid so should be staying the same
Original post by StolenGalaxy
I'm pretty sure paper 2 wasn't changed during covid so should be staying the same

Okay thanks!👍️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending