The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Just a bit of simplifying, really - multiply top and bottom of the fraction by 2k52^k - 5

Thanks, I have another question, again to do with proof.
Sorry to be annoying, it's just I never know how to finish off the proof questions.
Original post by XmayaX
Thanks, I have another question, again to do with proof.
Sorry to be annoying, it's just I never know how to finish off the proof questions.

Why don't you pull out a factor of 3k+13^{k+1} in the last two terms to get 3k+1(2k+4k1+4)=3k+1(6k+3)=3k+1(31)(2k+1)=3k+1+1(2k+1)=3k+1+1(2(k+1)1)3^{k+1}(2k + 4k -1 + 4) = 3^{k+1}(6k + 3) = 3^{k+1}(3^1)(2k + 1) = 3^{k + 1 + 1}(2k+1) = 3^{k+1+ 1}(2(k+1) - 1)
Reply 2862
A candid assessment of my mathematics revision:

C1: No problems
C2: No problems save perhaps a bit of recap on changing the base of a logarithm and circle geometry.
M1: No problems apart from refreshing trailer problems.
M2: No problems.
FP1: Matrix transformation (which makes no sense to me whatsoever) needs to be learnt.
S1: A lot to do:

-The effect of coding on E(X), Var(X), the standard deviation, the correlation coefficient.
-The linear interpolation formula
-Histogram problems
-Definitions and 'interpret' questions.
Original post by Zacken
Why don't you pull out a factor of 3k+13^{k+1} in the last two terms to get 3k+1(2k+4k1+4)=3k+1(6k+3)=3k+1(31)(2k+1)=3k+1+1(2k+1)=3k+1+1(2(k+1)1)3^{k+1}(2k + 4k -1 + 4) = 3^{k+1}(6k + 3) = 3^{k+1}(3^1)(2k + 1) = 3^{k + 1 + 1}(2k+1) = 3^{k+1+ 1}(2(k+1) - 1)

Thanks, this helped a lot 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XmayaX
Thanks, this helped a lot 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad it did. :-)
Original post by Palette
A candid assessment of my mathematics revision:

C1: No problems
C2: No problems save perhaps a bit of recap on changing the base of a logarithm and circle geometry.
M1: No problems apart from refreshing trailer problems.
M2: No problems.
FP1: Matrix transformation (which makes no sense to me whatsoever) needs to be learnt.
S1: A lot to do:

-The effect of coding on E(X), Var(X), the standard deviation, the correlation coefficient.
-The linear interpolation formula
-Histogram problems
-Definitions and 'interpret' questions.

Changing the base proof:

Let Logab=N Log_a b = N
From this we can deduce aN=b a^N = b

LogcaN=logcb Log_c a^N = log_c b

NLogca=logcb NLog_c a = log_c b

N=LogcbLogca N = \frac {Log_c b}{Log_c a}

Hegartymaths has helpful videos on matrix transformations!
Original post by LelouchViRuge
Changing the base proof:

You'll want to use \ln or \log instead of squashing the variables L, o and g together to form your logarithm.
Reply 2867
Changing the base proof:

Let Logab=N Log_a b = N
From this we can deduce aN=b a^N = b

LogcaN=logcb Log_c a^N = log_c b

NLogca=logcb NLog_c a = log_c b

N=LogcbLogca N = \frac {Log_c b}{Log_c a}

Hegartymaths has helpful videos on matrix transformations!

Hopefully I should be OK with every module except S1 which is simply not designed for my brain.
Original post by Palette
Hopefully I should be OK with every module except S1 which is simply not designed for my brain.

Friends have told me 90% of S1 can be done with a calculator lol.

Are you doing the whole A level maths in a year?
Reply 2869

No, I'm doing C1 C2 M1 M2 FP1 S1.

I think I'd have to agree with the 90%
Reply 2871
Original post by B_9710

I find a lot of it tedious or confusing. For example I have no idea on when to use the second z table for the normal distribution.
Original post by Palette
I find a lot of it tedious or confusing. For example I have no idea on when to use the second z table for the normal distribution.

Whenever you have a normal distribution of the form P(Z>z)=kP(Z > z) = k for special values of kk given in the tables.
Original post by B_9710

Nah its not that high. Theres all the nodelling stuff from chapter 1 drawing venn diagrams box plots probability questions etc etc, which while often involve the use of a calculator still require some level of understanding rather than plugging numbers in like some other parts of s1.
Original post by Palette

I admit - I panicked for S1 a month before the exam because I didn't do anything for it, but it turned out okay. I just did like 3 past papers before the exam and did alright in it.
Hello everyone, would someone please help me on a fp1 series question
I still don't understand how a base zero below the sigma effects the answer
Thank you

It is part b
Original post by I'm a Peacock
Hello everyone, would someone please help me on a fp1 series question
I still don't understand how a base zero below the sigma effects the answer
Thank you

It is part b

r=13f(r)=f(1)+f(2)+f(3)\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^3 f(r) = f(1) + f(2) + f(3)

r=03f(r)=f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)=f(0)+r=1nf(r)\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{3} f(r) = f(0) + f(1) + f(2) + f(3) = f(0) + \sum_{r=1}^n f(r)

Can you see how there is an extra term?

In general:

r=1nf(r)=f(1)++f(n)\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n f(r) = f(1) + \cdots + f(n) - there are 'nn' terms.

r=0nf(r)=f(0)+f(1)++f(n)=f(0)+r=1nf(r)\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^n f(r) = f(0) + f(1) + \cdots + f(n) = f(0) + \sum_{r=1}^n f(r) - there are 'n+1n+1' terms.

So as you can see, as long as f(0)0f(0) \neq 0 then r=0nf(r)r=1nf(r)\sum_{r=0}^n f(r) \neq \sum_{r=1}^n f(r).

In this case, we have f(r)=r22r+2n+1f(0)=2n+10f(r) = r^2 - 2r + 2n + 1 \Rightarrow f(0) = 2n + 1 \neq 0.
Could you please provide a solution
Reply 2878
This summer I may make something resembling a blog as I will be tackling STEP (and maybe MAT) questions and working through Martin Griffith's 'A Prime Puzzle'.
Original post by I'm a Peacock
Could you please provide a solution

No.

Latest