The Student Room Group

What would life look like doing 4 alevels?

A quick intro:
- i love all four subjects that i've picked
(Maths, Physics, Art, DT)
- i want to study design/architecture at uni, and unis want an art portfolio alongside this so keeping art and dt are practically essential for me, i'm pretty passionate about both.

- physics is my overall favourite subject (at least at gcse) and i have quite a big interest for it outside of school anyway, and taking maths will help me feel more comfortable in physics - as well as just generally being quite fun

I can't see myself dropping any of my subjects really, but all for legitimate reasons - not to prove myself to unis but seriously out of a strong connection to all four subjects. anyway, i was thinking about getting a part time job or something on the side - maybe 12-16h a week, however i'm thinking that's not realistic at all. it would only be until december of year12 if so.

my school advised 10 hours of independant revision every week for each subject, which is 40h give or take my understanding on a topic. so maybe skip out on the job after all and focus on getting solid foundations for my courses. the one i'm most worried for is art, i was spending 3-4h a day at the peak of my gcses (for a grade 9) and i'm expecting the workload to increase a lot at a level.

i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice? my time management is good... when it needs to be, so maybe just some insight on options i should consider as well as how much work i'll be putting in every day WITHOUT a job.

i guess earning money would be nice, but there aren't loads of opportunities near me since i live in a village. but then getting a car costs money i don't have :_)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
I was in a similar position doing Maths, F.Maths, Politics and Econ. Complete year 12 and give it a go. If it's too much in year 12, then you'll definitely know that it's going to be very difficult in year 13.

I dropped politics in year 13, but give it a go. See how the year pans out.
Hi, I took 4 a levels (chem psych media and classics) alongside a part time job (4hrs per week) and still struggled with that throughout my a levels, so I wouldn't reccomend getting a part time job unless you 100% need it. Stick with your subjects for now since your passionate about then and maths art and DT will be great for your uni choice. But don't push yourself in Yr 13 if you begin to struggle at all, just drop one (coming from experience haha)
Reply 3
Original post by m5rrri
A quick intro:
- i want to study design/architecture at uni, and unis want an art portfolio alongside this so keeping art and dt are practically essential for me, i'm pretty passionate about both.

- physics is my overall favourite subject (at least at gcse) and i have quite a big interest for it outside of school anyway, and taking maths will help me feel more comfortable in physics - as well as just generally being quite fun

I can't see myself dropping any of my subjects really, but all for legitimate reasons - not to prove myself to unis but seriously out of a strong connection to all four subjects. anyway, i was thinking about getting a part time job or something on the side - maybe 12-16h a week, however i'm thinking that's not realistic at all. it would only be until december of year12 if so.

my school advised 10 hours of independant revision every week for each subject, which is 40h give or take my understanding on a topic. so maybe skip out on the job after all and focus on getting solid foundations for my courses. the one i'm most worried for is art, i was spending 3-4h a day at the peak of my gcses (for a grade 9) and i'm expecting the workload to increase a lot at a level.

i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice? my time management is good... when it needs to be, so maybe just some insight on options i should consider as well as how much work i'll be putting in every day WITHOUT a job.

i guess earning money would be nice, but there aren't loads of opportunities near me since i live in a village. but then getting a car costs money i don't have :_)

Yeah, do it. When you enjoy the subject you are studying, it get's a LOT easier. However, if you have to drop a subject I would drop maths cause it's less complicated to learn it independently. There are lots of resources online (like youtube alone - statquest - my lifesaver) to help you understand and comprehend new topics. Also, there is ChatGPT - a personal tutor that can explain to you any problem that you won't be able to do right.

Very admirable of you that you want to work in Year 12, I think, if there is motivation and consistency in your studies and you take care of your physical and mental health as well, everything is more than doable, so go for it! Don't let this overwhelm you, there is always a way back :wink:)
Reply 4
Original post by Eviee6
Yeah, do it. When you enjoy the subject you are studying, it get's a LOT easier. However, if you have to drop a subject I would drop maths cause it's less complicated to learn it independently. There are lots of resources online (like youtube alone - statquest - my lifesaver) to help you understand and comprehend new topics. Also, there is ChatGPT - a personal tutor that can explain to you any problem that you won't be able to do right.

Very admirable of you that you want to work in Year 12, I think, if there is motivation and consistency in your studies and you take care of your physical and mental health as well, everything is more than doable, so go for it! Don't let this overwhelm you, there is always a way back :wink:)

thanks! i never actually considered just doing maths up to as, it makes sense actually when i think about it if need be (and yet i was initially planning to do further maths instead of design! :rolleyes: )
Reply 5
Original post by MelonCrazy
I was in a similar position doing Maths, F.Maths, Politics and Econ. Complete year 12 and give it a go. If it's too much in year 12, then you'll definitely know that it's going to be very difficult in year 13.

I dropped politics in year 13, but give it a go. See how the year pans out.

thanks for the advice - seeing that doing four a-levels doesn't really give an advantage (besides two coursework subjects fleshing out my portfolio) i'll probably have to leave either maths or physics at as level.... and feel my heart break :tongue:
Reply 6
Hi,

I have just finished taking 4 A Levels (Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Psychology). I also had a job in Year 12, and it was tough. I found pretty early on that I had to go from 20 hours to 12 hours a week, then WASNT getting any revision or homework done at that point still, so I dropped to 5 hours a week (bearing in mind I went to multiple sports/social clubs per week). In Year 13, I quit my job to have better focus on my revision. If you were going to get a job, it is tough, and I would highly recommend leaving in year 13 to focus entirely on your studies. Try the whole job thing and if it doesn’t work in your timing or you aren’t getting the work done or it’s too much pressure, then quit, at least you tried it and you will have a little bit of money.

Getting a job at this point in time can go on your CV, which will make you look better to Unis as well. When you start looking into unis, look at the grades too. I found that most unis took 3 grades, or ucas points. Then with that, I knew I wasn’t doing well in physics, so I focussed more revision on my other subjects (my course wanted 112 UCAS points, equivalent to a BBC or CCCD).
Original post by m5rrri
A quick intro:

There is no advantage to taking four A levels - unis only require three and you don't get bonus points for doing extra (only the results of your best three will be considered). AAA will always look better than AABB.

A levels are a big step up from GCSE. If you're unsure about which subject to drop, maybe start with four and then drop one after the first term.

Take a look at the following thread regarding A level requirements for architecture to make sure that you fulfil any subject requirements/preferences:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Quick Reply

Latest