The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The_Bear
Ah yeah, forgot to add another thing.

Lazy and/or
Stupid

Do we reward that? Or do we try and improve the gene pool by letting the paupers breed amongst themselves?

Poor people are either lazy or stupid, or both? This is the kind of childish "I'm desperate to appear controversial on an internet forum for students" rubbish i'm talking about. Do you think this makes you "cool"?
Reply 61
cottonmouth
Because when based on birth, it isn't that persons own talent that has gained the the success, hence making it more unfair than when success is a result of on'es own talent.

That's entirely circular.

Why is :

a) success due to who your parents are - ie an accident of birth

less fair than:

b) success due to genetic ability - ie who your parents are - ie an accident of birth.

Equality of oppurtunity needs to be furthered and upheld.

where possible - though unfortunately it is unattainable given the inherent difference between people.
The_Bear
I know you haven't said that, I was referring to people who did. I saw later on that you suggested keeping it the same, as I have said, you have just taken it upon yourself to disagree with me over what I have called others.

I've graduated uni. But since you are 8 and 3/4 I must admit I was wrong to say what I said.

My turn to throw my hands into the air and make a "Whats happened to the world" proclamation:

What is it with adults/graduates these days? A grown man telling someone else that they are 8 years old on a forum for debate and discussion. I weep.
Reply 63
Thud
you're saying that someone kicked out of home at 16 because their parents don't have the money to keep them, who then have to work **** jobs because of lack of decent schooling or qualifications has the same chance as lord snooty who's parents are rolling in it, sent their kid to eton followed by oxford?

are you trying to ignore reality, or are you simply thick?

Oooh if you want to use this argument why not extend it to the little black kids in Africa dying of Aids, starvation, thirst, malaria, civil war? It is called life and the sooner people stop whinging about their start in life the sooner you start climbing ladders.

Alan Sugar wasn't born rich, neither are hundreds of other millionaires. And they have a lot more money than old Etonians (a system that made our country great remember, as soon as we moved to this "any little poor bugger" can get in power we screwed it up). Motivation coupled with intelligence maketh the man.
Reply 64
cottonmouth
And on and on.... in any case, Labour have won three elections in a row because people came to realise how Tory talk is twattery.

No. Labour have won three elections because they stole most of the Tories policies and just tempered them a touch.
cottonmouth
A grown man telling someone else that they are 8 years old on a forum for debate and discussion. I weep.

In his defence, it was me who told him you were eight and three quarters. I was trying to be funny :biggrin: :confused: :frown:
The_Bear
Alan Sugar wasn't born rich

He went one better - he was born Jewish.
Reply 67
cottonmouth
Poor people are either lazy or stupid, or both? This is the kind of childish "I'm desperate to appear controversial on an internet forum for students" rubbish i'm talking about. Do you think this makes you "cool"?

Usually both. Sometimes a really motivated person is stupid but they can still achieve. I don't know why you think this is controversial, you have yet to provide an example where this isn't true.

cottonmouth
My turn to throw my hands into the air and make a "Whats happened to the world" proclamation:

What is it with adults/graduates these days? A grown man telling someone else that they are 8 years old on a forum for debate and discussion. I weep.

Oh god you must be fun on a night out.
Lawz-
That's entirely circular.

Why is :

a) success due to who your parents are - ie an accident of birth

less fair than:

b) success due to genetic ability - ie who your parents are - ie an accident of birth.

where possible - though unfortunately it is unattainable given the inherent difference between people.

No it isn't. There is a direct difference between being given something that you didn't put effort into yourself to gain, and getting something that you used your own efforts to gain. Sure, both are to do with genetics. But one case is someone else's efforts, the other is your own.
DanGrover
In his defence, it was me who told him you were eight and three quarters. I was trying to be funny :biggrin: :confused: :frown:

I know that. Yours was mildly amusing. Then the grownup had to attempt to stretch the joke, which completely snapped it.
The_Bear
Usually both. Sometimes a really motivated person is stupid but they can still achieve. I don't know why you think this is controversial, you have yet to provide an example where this isn't true.

Oh god you must be fun on a night out.

So must you. "Hahahaha, that boy is 8- wait for it- and three quarters!" Cue howls of laughter, tears of mirth....
Reply 71
The_Bear
Oooh if you want to use this argument why not extend it to the little black kids in Africa dying of Aids, starvation, thirst, malaria, civil war? It is called life and the sooner people stop whinging about their start in life the sooner you start climbing ladders.

Alan Sugar wasn't born rich, neither are hundreds of other millionaires. And they have a lot more money than old Etonians (a system that made our country great remember, as soon as we moved to this "any little poor bugger" can get in power we screwed it up). Motivation coupled with intelligence maketh the man.

ok, I will. It still applies to kids in Africa: your argument seems to be that anyone can "make it" if they try hard enough regardless of initial social standing and if they don't they're "lazy and/or stupid".

You're telling me that these African kids dring of starvation are just "lazy and/or stupid"? :confused:
Reply 72
cottonmouth
No it isn't. There is a direct difference between being given something that you didn't put effort into yourself to gain, and getting something that you used your own efforts to gain. Sure, both are to do with genetics. But one case is someone else's efforts, the other is your own.

No. you're using the extreme of one and comparing it to a moderate example of the other.

In both cases, most of time, effort has to be expended by the person to succeed.

Let;s take the example of private education:

one person goes to Eton, the other to his local inner city comp.

The first is of mediocre ability, the second very bright indeed. Both work a similar amount.

They both get similar grades, end up at a similar university, and have similar careers.

Many decry the unfairness of this as the first individual is "born" into his advantage, all the while seeing as perfectly acceptable that the second is "born" into an advantage also.
Reply 73
cottonmouth
So must you. "Hahahaha, that boy is 8- wait for it- and three quarters!" Cue howls of laughter, tears of mirth....

Do you even go out?
Reply 74
Thud
ok, I will. It still applies to kids in Africa: your argument seems to be that anyone can "make it" if they try hard enough regardless of initial social standing and if they don't they're "lazy and/or stupid".

You're telling me that these African kids dring of starvation are just "lazy and/or stupid"? :confused:

Christ, these African kids have nothing TO achieve. There is no opportunity in the first place. We are fortunate enough to have opportunity, you want to go one step further and make everybody have the same wealth. Ridiculous!
Reply 75
Lawz-
No. you're using the extreme of one and comparing it to a moderate example of the other.

In both cases, most of time, effort has to be expended by the person to succeed.

Let;s take the example of private education:

one person goes to Eton, the other to his local inner city comp.

The first is of mediocre ability, the second very bright indeed. Both work a similar amount.

They both get similar grades, end up at a similar university, and have similar careers.

Many decry the unfairness of this as the first individual is "born" into his advantage, all the while seeing as perfectly acceptable that the second is "born" into an advantage also.

you're not taking into account background. Whilst I agree, yes it's possible for a child who went to an inner city comp to attain the same level as someone from Eton, there are other factors such as motivation from parents, home life, family security, the possibility that perhaps parents can't afford to have the kid live at home and do 6th form etc etc.
FYI, cottonmouth, my furious anger earlier was because that "great party" I referred to earlier was the TSR Libertarian Party. That bill (which passed the MHoC, btw) was written by me and Beek, I think. Or Beek wrote it and I tweeked it. I can't remember now, it was last elective term now.
Reply 77
The_Bear
Christ, these African kids have nothing TO achieve. There is no opportunity in the first place. We are fortunate enough to have opportunity, you want to go one step further and make everybody have the same wealth. Ridiculous!

surely if they worked really really hard they could. They could go to the city, they could work as a bootcleaner, work their way up? but they don't, why? well, if we listen to you it's simply because they're "lazy and/or stupid" it's not because of the conditions they're born into.
Reply 78
Thud
you're not taking into account background. Whilst I agree, yes it's possible for a child who went to an inner city comp to attain the same level as someone from Eton, there are other factors such as motivation from parents, home life, family security, the possibility that perhaps parents can't afford to have the kid live at home and do 6th form etc etc.

That wasn't really the point of the comparison. Sure you can dicuss the various factors involved in success - but that's not the point at hand.
Reply 79
cottonmouth
Equality of OPPURTUNITY is in fact very important. I know we aren't all made equal. Who said we were? I did clarify a number of times.

That's a very poor argument for IHT in it's present incarnation. Equality of opportunity is barely influenced by inheritance when compared to what the inheritor receives from their parent whilst they're alive. If they go for a job they will receive a benefit from their education, their contacts and their soft skills. All of which are developed, usually, whilst the parent is alive. If they try to set up a business the same applies; aside, perhaps, from the cost of start up.

Even if an individual inherits enough so that they never have to work, so what? They still contribute to the economy through consuming what their parents couldn't and by providing investment through their savings. The only objection there could be is plain old jealousy.

Despite this already being a poor justification for IHT in theory, it get's worse in practice. The original target (and only vaguely conceivable justification) of IHT was the break-up of the aristocratic estates and "old order" in favour of meritocracy. In reality it is so poorly targeted that it hasn't done the former and hasn't promoted the latter. Through skillful (and unavoidably legal) use of investment/asset managers it is avoided by it's intended targets. Consequently, the only estates it breaks up are those of the middle classes. This has created a gulf separating the rich from the nouveau-riche/upper middle class; entrenching the position of the former as well as both discouraging and retarding the social mobility of everyone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending