The Student Room Group

vertical motion under gravity, tricky question - help needed

Can anyone help my son find how to calculate the answer to this problem. We have been given the answer but can't arrive at it ...

A ball is thrown vertically upwards from a window 6m above the ground at a velocity of 8m per sec. 1.5 sec later a second ball is dropped from the same window. What distance below the window do they meet? I tried different methods, all gave different results, none of which was the answer given, 0.104 m. Can anyone help work this out please?
Reply 1
Original post by surreyfrog
Can anyone help my son find how to calculate the answer to this problem. We have been given the answer but can't arrive at it ...

A ball is thrown vertically upwards from a window 6m above the ground at a velocity of 8m per sec. 1.5 sec later a second ball is dropped from the same window. What distance below the window do they meet? I tried different methods, all gave different results, none of which was the answer given, 0.104 m. Can anyone help work this out please?

for help please post here
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Reply 2

Did you end up using two equations?
Reply 3
Original post by kkboyk
Did you end up using two equations?

I used s=ut+1/2at(squared) twice, once for ball 1, and once for ball 2, letting t2 = t1-1.5, left me with two simultaneous equations containing s and t, solved them for t then worked out s. This may have been the wrong approach though.
I used s=ut+1/2at(squared) twice, once for ball 1, and once for ball 2, letting t2 = t1-1.5, left me with two simultaneous equations containing s and t, solved them for t then worked out s. This may have been the wrong approach though.

This is the right approach, but I can imagine the signs getting in a tangle.

Since the balls will meet below the window, I suggest taking downwards as positive for both balls. This means that your s will turn out positive. For the first ball, u = - 8

This will give 0.1037.... for s
Reply 5
Original post by tiny hobbit
This is the right approach, but I can imagine the signs getting in a tangle.

Since the balls will meet below the window, I suggest taking downwards as positive for both balls. This means that your s will turn out positive. For the first ball, u = - 8

This will give 0.1037.... for s

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending