The Student Room Group

M1 vectors help!!!

How would you do this?IMG_6669.jpg
Original post by Loola1234
How would you do this?IMG_6669.jpg

Make the 50 N the hypotenuse of a right angles triangle, with the other sides parallel to the axes. Then use trigonometry to find the lengths of those sides.

This needs to become automatic, since finding components of forces comes up a lot in M1.
Reply 2
a). So you know its resultant is 50N with an angle of 70deg from the horizontal. Use trigonometry to split the resultant into its two components, its horizontal and vertical. Do this by forming a right angled triangle, with an angle of 70deg, and a hypotenuse of 50N. The horizontal component is 50cos70 amd vertical component is 50sin70. In the form ai+bj, it would be 50cos70i+50sin70j.

Do the same for part B, but use the angle towards the horizontal
hope this helps.
Horizontal : Fcostheta
Vertical: Fsintheta

The theta has to be in between the two lines.
F= resultant force. I.e. Hypotenuse.
Reply 4
Original post by Ezio.
a). So you know its resultant is 50N with an angle of 70deg from the horizontal. Use trigonometry to split the resultant into its two components, its horizontal and vertical. Do this by forming a right angled triangle, with an angle of 70deg, and a hypotenuse of 50N. The horizontal component is 50cos70 amd vertical component is 50sin70. In the form ai+bj, it would be 50cos70i+50sin70j.

Do the same for part B, but use the angle towards the horizontal
hope this helps.

thank you!how would you do this IMG_6676.jpg
Reply 5
IF anyone can help me with this question I would be very grateful! I am not trying to get people to do my homework for me I genuinely don't understand vectors :frown: Are there any good youtube videos i can watch apart from examsolutions?IMG_6675.jpg
Reply 6
bump
Reply 7
someone please :frown:
Reply 8
help!!!
thank you!how would you do this IMG_6676.jpg

Split A and B into components like you did in the last question. Add up all of the components in the x direction to get a force I'll call X. Note that the components of A and B are both negative in this direction.

Same in the y direction to get Y, one will be negative. Now draw a right angled triangle with X and Y as the sides. Use Pythagoras to find the magnitude of the resultant and trig to find the angle.
Reply 10
Original post by tiny hobbit
Split A and B into components like you did in the last question. Add up all of the components in the x direction to get a force I'll call X. Note that the components of A and B are both negative in this direction.

Same in the y direction to get Y, one will be negative. Now draw a right angled triangle with X and Y as the sides. Use Pythagoras to find the magnitude of the resultant and trig to find the angle.

Thank you soooo much how would you do this?
Thank you soooo much how would you do this?

Where have you got to so far?

Quick Reply

Latest