The Student Room Group

A rant about STEM v the rest

Scroll to see replies

Original post by E air
yh but no one cares about pythagoras therom

Hehe reminds me of my electrical principles class a couple of weeks ago, we where talking about phase angles in power delivery and the lecturer said something to the tune of "Its really simple to find the phase angle when you have Vx and Vy you just apply pythagorus's theorum using the opposite and ajacent" queue an entire class staring at him blankly like "Holy **** we actually had to remember that from school...". He had to explain very slowly how SOHCAHTOA worked to everyone :biggrin:
Original post by E air
yh but bildin brijes isnt even hard, ive made like 12 on minecraft. lmao stem students, minecraft is harder than ur degree

Literally abysmal attempt 0/10.
Reply 22
Original post by Manitude
Literally abysmal attempt 0/10.

yh but u replied that makes it 1/10
Original post by E air
yh but u replied that makes it 1/10

I almost always reply to messages, don't let me replying make you feel special. You still get 0/10. Especially because you didn't even try to maintain the trolling after I called you out.
hardest stem subjects at a level involve additional further maths physics chemistry which u must have highhhhh intelligence for
hardest humanities involve english lit history and politics i suppose and alll u do is "write a lot about a little "and bam with good essay writing skills its a walk in the bus station
I'm a STEM student in my final year. I want that first and am putting in around 50+ hours a week to get it. Difficult, hard, time consuming? Nah.

One of my current housemates works on a road crew. It's generally 60 hours a week in 12 hour shifts. Often at night. The transition from day to night shifts involves 1 day off, that's tough on the body. It often involves heavy physical work, its dirty and its done in all weathers. That's difficult and hard work.

I've done comparable jobs before. They are, in their own way, very satisfying but take far more out of you than sitting on your arse all day. So when I hear students, generally the middles class precious ones, complaining about how difficult university is, it is hard to take them seriously. Exams periods aside, the cycle of lectures, labs, reports, etc. are more tedious than it is difficult.
non stem is much MUCH harder than stem mate.

I respect english lit grads over maths tbh.
Didn't know it was a competition.. :h:
Original post by The Wavefunction
STEM degrees are more difficult than humanities/arts degrees.
Firstly I have about 24 hours of lectures and labs a week, my housemate studying Politics has 8, with 2 days off in the week. And before anyone jumps in with the whole we have to read stuff argument, SO DO STEM students! Independent study, lab reports, coursework the bloody lot! There's no way that the independent study done by the rest adds up to what we do. It may appear you have as little time to do stuff as us but that's just because you're in bed for 15 hours a day and watching Netflix. I have 5 8:30am starts a week, a friend of mine doing English has zero, his earliest is 10am. It's a joke.
I can appreciate that they have their need in some places and they aren't exactly a walk in the park, but they certainly aren't even.

Give it a rest. Your petty rant achieves nothing.
Original post by Quantex
I'm a STEM student in my final year. I want that first and am putting in around 50+ hours a week to get it. Difficult, hard, time consuming? Nah.

One of my current housemates works on a road crew. It's generally 60 hours a week in 12 hour shifts. Often at night. The transition from day to night shifts involves 1 day off, that's tough on the body. It often involves heavy physical work, its dirty and its done in all weathers. That's difficult and hard work.

I've done comparable jobs before. They are, in their own way, very satisfying but take far more out of you than sitting on your arse all day. So when I hear students, generally the middles class precious ones, complaining about how difficult university is, it is hard to take them seriously. Exams periods aside, the cycle of lectures, labs, reports, etc. are more tedious than it is difficult.

Yeah mate, piece of piss writing lab reports on molecular symmetry of Molybdenum carbonyl species in infrared spectroscopy.
Intense manual labour and studying are very hard to compare, both are difficult in very different ways.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Yeah mate, piece of piss writing lab reports on molecular symmetry of Molybdenum carbonyl species in infrared spectroscopy.
Intense manual labour and studying are very hard to compare, both are difficult in very different ways.

Yeah, all those grueling holidays on the academic calendar students have to battle through. Those folks out there working jobs have no idea how easy they've got it!
Um, mind your own business.
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Yeah, all those grueling holidays on the academic calendar students have to battle through. Those folks out there working jobs have no idea how easy they've got it!

Christmas and Easter "breaks" are normally more stressful than term time with exams. Granted, summer is way too long. But, I'm not comparing degrees and working life.
Reply 33
Original post by Anonynmous
non stem is much MUCH harder than stem mate.

I respect english lit grads over maths tbh.

You're ****ing mad
Original post by Emilia1320
Oh, I got my sevens on sciences, I did not say I found those hard. I found them easy and enjoyable.

Only things I'm criticizing is this: On chemistry and physics second best grades in whole group were 4's to people who actually tried (scale is 1-7). On humanities, on business 6 was the worst grade on entire class, and 70% of people me included got a 7. On English 5 was worst grade. THIS is what I am criticizing, why average scores too are so much better for humanities. Personally I find sciences and math easier than humanities but this isnt about me. Its about average performance on my school.

And this: higher level math is seen as so difficult that I had to fight authorities to be allowed to take the subject.

And this is a discussion forum. I am not ranting, I am discussing. Yet you try to make me sound like I am crying or something. Please know that I am just trying to have constructive conversation. With you or with anyone who is up for it.

You first post had no questions in it. You were opening yourself up for criticism which may or may not have led to a conversation. Be prepared for this. Don't have a breakdown.

As for making humanities harder, that's all very well and good but it isn't going to happen alone and if you want to change humanities then the whole system needs to be changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Binary Freak
Give it a rest. Your petty rant achieves nothing.

That's kind of the main defining point on a rant, not by definition, but by popular culture. I'd say the futility of a rant is what makes it a rant. Oh by the way, what did you just achieve?
Original post by Moonstruck16
You first post had no questions in it. You were opening yourself up for criticism which may or may not have led to a conversation. Be prepared for this. Don't have a breakdown.

As for making humanities harder, that's all very well and good but it isn't going to happen alone and if you want to change humanities then the whole system needs to be changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair point, sorry if I worded myself badly. I'm not really good with producing text and expressing my ideas.

May I ask what do you mean by "whole system needs to be chnaged". I would say some slight adjustments on the syllabus could do. Why does is need to affect "whole system"
I'm a journalist/activist and I have done STEM A levels and STEM degrees (currently doing my masters).

People always ask me why I don't do journalism, politics, international relations etc.

I just tell them, if I can do all those things without a degree, why would I get an arts degree?
Original post by SCalver
You're ****ing mad

What are you trying to say? :s-smilie:
Original post by SCalver
That's kind of the main defining point on a rant, not by definition, but by popular culture. I'd say the futility of a rant is what makes it a rant. Oh by the way, what did you just achieve?

1 increment to my post count and a rep. Obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending