The Student Room Group

Investment banker or actuary?

Which do you think is a better job to have, considering pay, respect, work life balance, benefit to society and being interesting?
Reply 1
Original post by hoping4Astars
Which do you think is a better job to have, considering pay, respect, work life balance, benefit to society and being interesting?

actuary
Reply 2
With IB, there are a lot of exit opps after a few years - PE/VC, Hedge Fund, Fintech, Trading, Corporate M&A, etc. You could also stick around for a few more years to become a VP.
I think if you've not finished your A levels it's too early to think about this.
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
I think if you've not finished your A levels it's too early to think about this.

It might seem so, but insight days are pretty important + work experience opportunities and whatnot, so getting them under your belt early will definitely help you if you are looking into either of the job roles. Best to start early and prepare yourself to be honest, I don't think anyone really ever regrets doing too much research.
Original post by gwagon
With IB, there are a lot of exit opps after a few years - PE/VC, Hedge Fund, Fintech, Trading, Corporate M&A, etc. You could also stick around for a few more years to become a VP.

This^ Except, IBD doesn't lead to trading haha Trading is another section within the bank.

An actuarial job is a nice cushy job if you like Maths/Statistics. You get significant bumps in your salary the more exams you pass, and ultimately you could end uo earning a decent wage working a fraction of the hours someone in IBD works.

If money is most important, IBD/S&T/Research at a bank is the right way to go. Ideally, IBD to Private Equity/a Hedge Fund if you want to maximise how much you'll make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending