The Student Room Group

M1 position vectors help!!

Hi, I have started learning vector by myself but I find this really confusing. Is the position vector the starting point? The equation r=r0+vt. What does each r stand for? It would be great if anyone could explain this question to me because I just don't understand the topic and I did spend time on it. Thanks 1450917130286-2023173517.jpg it's q1 I am referring to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't really know where to start because I am given two position vectors and I don't know if r is the position factor Or r0 and what is r? thanks so much.
Reply 2
They are both r. You need to put the first one in to the equation r=r0+ut+0.5at^2 (t=2) to find r0 and then put that in to the equation to find r with t=6 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Kieranoo
They are both r. You need to put the first one in to the equation r=r0+ut+0.5at^2 (t=2) to find r0 and then put that in to the equation to find r with t=6 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks for helping. Do you mind explaining what position vector actually is ? Is it the starting point? Also the equations that I know are only r=r0+vt and some other suvat equation, I have no idea which one you just used.
Reply 4
Original post by coconut64
Hi, thanks for helping. Do you mind explaining what position vector actually is ? Is it the starting point? Also the equations that I know are only r=r0+vt and some other suvat equation, I have no idea which one you just used.

The position vector is basically coordinates, so i is x and j is y. R0 is the 'starting point' if using it in a question if you're working out r as the 'new position'. The two ruvat equations (suvats with vectors) are the one you said and the one I said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Kieranoo
The position vector is basically coordinates, so i is x and j is y. R0 is the 'starting point' if using it in a question if you're working out r as the 'new position'. The two ruvat equations (suvats with vectors) are the one you said and the one I said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, it starts to make more sense now, could u possibly help me with this question? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3795043&p=61561093#post61561093
Reply 6
Yeah sure, it shouldn't matter whether you use a or b as long as you use the right value for t.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest