The Student Room Group

word equation help

Is this correct this is for a displacement reaction kind of need help as I'm struggling

so if u dip iron nail Into copper chloride solution, it comes our copper plated..
iron+copper chloride→ iron chloride+copper
zinc+copper chloride→ zinc chloride+copper
Original post by Habina786xx
Is this correct this is for a displacement reaction kind of need help as I'm struggling

so if u dip iron nail Into copper chloride solution, it comes our copper plated..
iron+copper chloride→ iron chloride+copper
zinc+copper chloride→ zinc chloride+copper

Remember the reactions, a typical known one is Copper is less reactive than Iron because of this copper is driven out by Iron as its forces are stronger.
Zinc is also stronger reaction than Copper so yes ZnCl2 + Cu.

They are both correct.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't try to act too clever; it's ZnCl2 (a small 2, Habina786xx).
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Don't try to act too clever; it's ZnCl2 (a small 2, Habina786xx).

How was I acting too clever?

You wanted me to explain the process of polymerisation and the formula? What don't you understand?

Alkenes can be used to make polymers such as poly(ethene) and poly(propene). In these reactions, many small molecules (monomers) join together to form very large molecules (polymers).

Your diagram is missing the bonds that each carbon has in it's polymer/single-bonded form. Remember that each carbon atom can make 4 bonds, so there need to be 4 lines coming from each C at all times, one line for a single bond, and two lines for a double bond.

This is slightly beyond GCSE, but in polymerisation, the double bond breaks, leaving a single bond between carbons. One line snaps back to one carbon, so it can form another bond with a monomer on one side, but it leaves the other carbon with less electrons, so it has a positive charge, which attracts another monomer to the other carbon.
Photo on 23-01-2016 at 11.54.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest