The Student Room Group

M2 Statics help please

I am really struggling with the statics of rigid bodies section in M2. I have attached a question that I have got some what lost in (also attached working, sorry if it's hard to follow).

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Snasher350
I am really struggling with the statics of rigid bodies section in M2. I have attached a question that I have got some what lost in (also attached working, sorry if it's hard to follow).

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453809218.499105.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453809232.960297.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
IMG_2308.jpg

I can't quite figure out what you are doing.

Did you notice you could find the angle the rope makes with the string?

Also, I always just teach to find the vertical and horizontal components at the hinge and then use pythagoras to find the magnitude and a nice right angle triangle to find the angle.

I have attached what I have done, hopefully you can understand. I always get my students to draw out the plank writing all the perpendicular forces on it to make do moments easier.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Oh, I don't have a calculator at home so I used my phone, so it may not be perfectly correct.

is it possible to rotate the pictures π/2 radians anti-clockwise ?
Reply 5
Moved to maths.
Reply 6
Original post by MEJR
IMG_2308.jpg

I can't quite figure out what you are doing.

Did you notice you could find the angle the rope makes with the string?

Also, I always just teach to find the vertical and horizontal components at the hinge and then use pythagoras to find the magnitude and a nice right angle triangle to find the angle.

I have attached what I have done, hopefully you can understand. I always get my students to draw out the plank writing all the perpendicular forces on it to make do moments easier.

Thanks a lot I can see where I am going wrong now. I spotted everything but then I doubted myself and made many stupid mistakes.
Reply 7
Original post by Snasher350
Thanks a lot I can see where I am going wrong now. I spotted everything but then I doubted myself and made many stupid mistakes.

also look at this link

http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m2_equilibrium_of_rigid_bodies.pdf
Reply 8

Thanks for the link, very helpful. If you have any other resources for M2 please dump them all here as I need all the help I can get.

Quick Reply

Latest