The Student Room Group

AS Level Physics question on electricity. Help needed!

Physics.jpg

A 12.0 V battery is connected with its positiveterminal to A and negative terminal to B.(i) Calculate the current in the 8.0 Ω resistor.......answer.................................. A

The answer is 1.5A and to get it you do 12v/8 ohms to get 1.5A (from mark scheme). But I'm very confused as to why my method and answer from my method is wrong.

My method is this:

1/8+1/4= 3/8.

3/8^-1 = 8/3 or 2.67

12v/2.67ohms = 4.5A

2:1 ratio therefore 4.5/3 is 1.5

1.5*2 is 3A.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I'm just VERY confused...

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Smile Generator
Physics.jpg

A 12.0 V battery is connected with its positiveterminal to A and negative terminal to B.(i) Calculate the current in the 8.0 Ω resistor.......answer.................................. A

The answer is 1.5A and to get it you do 12v/8 ohms to get 1.5A (from mark scheme). But I'm very confused as to why my method and answer from my method is wrong.

My method is this:

1/8+1/4= 3/8.

3/8^-1 = 8/3 or 2.67

12v/2.67ohms = 4.5A

1.5*2 is 3A.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I'm just VERY confused...m

Thanks!

Well as voltage is the same, between a parallel combination, it will be 12V across the 8 ohm (aswell as the diode & 4 ohm).

So therefore using I = V / R = 12 / 8 = 1.5A

As to why your method doesn't quite work, I'm not quite sure to be honest, that's the method I would've used if it was a more complex circuit (I wonder if the diode has something to do with it?), though the quick method I posted above does work.
Original post by JohnnyDavidson
Well as voltage is the same, between a parallel combination, it will be 12V across the 8 ohm (aswell as the diode & 4 ohm).

So therefore using I = V / R = 12 / 8 = 1.5A

As to why your method doesn't quite work, I'm not quite sure to be honest, that's the method I would've used if it was a more complex circuit (I wonder if the diode has something to do with it?), though the quick method I posted above does work.

Ahh, thanks so much! You're a life saver! ^_^
Reply 3
Physics.jpg

My method is this:

1/8+1/4= 3/8.

3/8^-1 = 8/3 or 2.67

12v/2.67ohms = 4.5A

1.5*2 is 3A.

Thanks!

The problem is with your ratio. 2:1 is the ratio of current through the resistor to current through the resistor, not the other way around.

In general, for two parallel resistors, I2/I1 = R1/R2. This can be derived from Ohm's law using the fact that the potential difference across each will be the same.
Original post by Arbolus
The problem is with your ratio. 2:1 is the ratio of current through the resistor to current through the resistor, not the other way around.

In general, for two parallel resistors, I2/I1 = R1/R2. This can be derived from Ohm's law using the fact that the potential difference across each will be the same.

Oh yeah... Thanks so much! I feel like a moron for not being able to figure that out before...
Physics.jpg

My method is this:

1/8+1/4= 3/8.

3/8^-1 = 8/3 or 2.67

12v/2.67ohms = 4.5A

1.5*2 is 3A.

Thanks!

What the last guy said... also you've made it more complicated than you needed to.
The PD across the 8ohm resistor is 12V so you just need to do
I=V/R

Quick Reply

Latest