The Student Room Group

Electricity is mindboggling

I just don't get it. Genuinely read every page about it in the textbook, and I still don't get it. Like, I know that stuff does other stuff, but why?
Why is PD the same across components in parallel but not in series? What the hell is an emf??? Electrical energy??? Since when did I have to know about mechanical energy or some **** for wires?

Even the basics are a whole mind****, it just scrambles my brain. I really don't get it. Is anyone else like this rn? Is there any hope for me? Physics as a whole confuses me, way too many terms they just throw out during lesson. Wish I could switch to something easier, the only hope I have for physics is my calculation work.
Any tips by anyone who was like me? Honestly any tips at all by anyone? I've tried seneca, youtube, teachers, past papers, trying uplearn rn.
Reply 1
Original post by m3t4noi4
I just don't get it. Genuinely read every page about it in the textbook, and I still don't get it. Like, I know that stuff does other stuff, but why?
Why is PD the same across components in parallel but not in series? What the hell is an emf??? Electrical energy??? Since when did I have to know about mechanical energy or some **** for wires?

Even the basics are a whole mind****, it just scrambles my brain. I really don't get it. Is anyone else like this rn? Is there any hope for me? Physics as a whole confuses me, way too many terms they just throw out during lesson. Wish I could switch to something easier, the only hope I have for physics is my calculation work.
Any tips by anyone who was like me? Honestly any tips at all by anyone? I've tried seneca, youtube, teachers, past papers, trying uplearn rn.

Presuming this is GCSE level? Though not sure as I thought Up-Learn was for A-level, still hope this helps.
Yeah I mean, I think the major problem with Physics is that a lot of it at GCSE level is less unexplained, so you just have to memorise it, and that can be really annoying. Are you doing Single Science? Because if so it might be worth seeing if you can just drop Physics and continue with Chemistry and Biology, as you don't need it for Sixth Form or anything. Might be worth considering.

I found personally the most important thing was to basically memorise everything and then do loads and loads of past papers (for another subject, I struggled with in a similar way I did every past paper about 3 times). It's quite useful because Physics has very specific answers, and getting that technique down is just really useful.
Incidentally, how have you done in your mocks (if I may ask). Because if you feel confident with the Maths you can still get alright grades just by memorising equations. Again, might be worth checking out?
Hope that helps at least slightly. Best of luck :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
Presuming this is GCSE level? Though not sure as I thought Up-Learn was for A-level, still hope this helps.
Yeah I mean, I think the major problem with Physics is that a lot of it at GCSE level is less unexplained, so you just have to memorise it, and that can be really annoying. Are you doing Single Science? Because if so it might be worth seeing if you can just drop Physics and continue with Chemistry and Biology, as you don't need it for Sixth Form or anything. Might be worth considering.

I found personally the most important thing was to basically memorise everything and then do loads and loads of past papers (for another subject, I struggled with in a similar way I did every past paper about 3 times). It's quite useful because Physics has very specific answers, and getting that technique down is just really useful.
Incidentally, how have you done in your mocks (if I may ask). Because if you feel confident with the Maths you can still get alright grades just by memorising equations. Again, might be worth checking out?
Hope that helps at least slightly. Best of luck :smile:

Thank you! This is A Level, not sure how I got by this far with so much missing knowledge but A Levels are really showing it. I'm trying to do more past papers and questions as that usually helps me. I haven't done mocks yet for my school, but we've done a few tests and I'm doing like super bad. C/D is the most recent scores I got, and the only reason I didn't fail my electricity test was because of my maths :")
Reply 3
IT sounds like you do not have secure knowledge from your GCSE physics.

you could go back and catch up for instance with the Isaac Physics remote covid lessons... https://isaacphysics.org/pages/covid19_gcse_archive?stage=all#22 sections 22 - 29

Imo an intuitive way of realising that resistors in parallel have the same PD across them is because the left ends of the resistors are connected together with wires and right ends of the resistors are connected together with wires... and all wires always have the same potential at all points, there is no PD between any two points on the same wire.
Reply 4
Thank you! This is A Level, not sure how I got by this far with so much missing knowledge but A Levels are really showing it. I'm trying to do more past papers and questions as that usually helps me. I haven't done mocks yet for my school, but we've done a few tests and I'm doing like super bad. C/D is the most recent scores I got, and the only reason I didn't fail my electricity test was because of my maths :")

I see, sorry about that. Yeah as Joinedup says above, might be worth trying to recent some GCSE stuff? Free Science Lessons (if you've not used them already) are very good for that sort of stuff. Might be worth doing one topic at a time, and just seeing if that helps. Hopefully some more advice will appear too :smile:.
Best of luck once more!
Reply 5

The water model isnt a bad place to start to get a feeling about how things work
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/watcir.html
So if you have resistors in parallel, they have the same force difference (potential difference) at each end but the volume flow rate through them (current) will depend on their size (resistance) and adding extra resistors in parallel will reduce the total resistance as youre adding more options (size) for the flow to travel etc.

Without trivialising it, the manga guide to electricity isnt bad
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manga-Guide-Electricity-Kazuhiro-Fujitaki/dp/1593271972#
to get a feeling about how it works (with the obvious caveats).
(edited 5 months ago)

I was 100% in the exact same situation as you last year. I debated dropping Physics so many times and I was struggling with the basic concepts because I didn't have a teacher for most of GCSEs. The one thing I can say is that when the teachers say the content does not get easier - personally I still find most of the topics easier than electricity (im literally revising it rn for mocks). Also have you tried using the CGP or Kerboodle books (I do AQA so these are the textbooks I use). There are amazing YouTubers that I found: PhysicsOnline and Science Shorts and they have literally helped sm

After going through Year 12 I can assure you that you have hope. I know it must seem really confusing right now but if you use all the sources that you have, try and understand the concepts and then use PMT and do as many questions as you can for every topic. This is what I'm using and its helped me improve a lot. It will get better and things will start to make sense along the way. Try different revision methods this year too, make sure you know what works for you. Also I cannot stress how important it is to USE YOUR TEACHERS (i literally harassed mine every single breaktime).

Don't give up cause I believe in you and you can do it <3

Hi, I know more than one month has passed.
Hope the situation has improved.
If the situation has not improved or you need more advice, do let us know.
Reply 8
Hello
Hey hi, I'm in the exact same situation. I'm in y13 and the highest I can get in physics is a C, even though I'm predicted A* in maths :/
Is uplearn actually useful? Please let me know, I'm desperate haha.

Quick Reply

Latest