The Student Room Group

Use a simulator to plot the frequency response of the circuit

<br>
use a frequency range from 10 Hz to 10 kHz and show that the circuit operates as a high-pass filter with a ‘knee’ point at 1 kHz

I have to be honest i an not 100% on what the question is asking me,
should i be working out Frequency resonance first using all the information provided, then i need to input this into a graph ?

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 12.59.20.png
Reply 1
Definitely work out the resonant frequency, as you said. You are right that, to show how the range of frequencies differ, you will need to plot a graph. The graph would be gain against frequency, and to make the graph readable, the x-axis (frequency) should increase logarithmically.
Reply 2
Original post by Ferret!
Definitely work out the resonant frequency, as you said. You are right that, to show how the range of frequencies differ, you will need to plot a graph. The graph would be gain against frequency, and to make the graph readable, the x-axis (frequency) should increase logarithmically.

thanks i just need a simulator to use, the links i got sent are to only pc versions but im on a mac
hi im in the midst of deciding whether to do an electronics engineering degree apprenticeship or mechanical engineering at uni - please could you tell me a bit about your experience studying electronics, what you do, if you enjoy it etc? thank you
Reply 4
Original post by user8937264980
hi im in the midst of deciding whether to do an electronics engineering degree apprenticeship or mechanical engineering at uni - please could you tell me a bit about your experience studying electronics, what you do, if you enjoy it etc? thank you

Hi, its nice to hear you're interested in studying electronics! :smile: For electronics, there's two main kinds of degree you can get: electrical and electronic.
(In general) electrical degrees are more about the transmission and infrastructure e.g. national grid, fibre communication etc., and electronic degrees are more about the devices themselves e.g. phone, radio etc.. There's a lot overlap between the degrees, and you could probably switch between the two (if the uni offered both) if one is less interesting than the other. For me, I've been fortunate to finish a level electronics and its my favourite a level by far, and I found it like a bit of a rabbit hole really :biggrin:, with new practical things to do all the time.
Reply 5
Original post by john.ashby
thanks i just need a simulator to use, the links i got sent are to only pc versions but im on a mac

I use Qucs sometimes to simulate circuits, and it has a Macintosh port. Link: https://qucs.sourceforge.net/download.html .
Original post by Ferret!
Hi, its nice to hear you're interested in studying electronics! :smile: For electronics, there's two main kinds of degree you can get: electrical and electronic.
(In general) electrical degrees are more about the transmission and infrastructure e.g. national grid, fibre communication etc., and electronic degrees are more about the devices themselves e.g. phone, radio etc.. There's a lot overlap between the degrees, and you could probably switch between the two (if the uni offered both) if one is less interesting than the other. For me, I've been fortunate to finish a level electronics and its my favourite a level by far, and I found it like a bit of a rabbit hole really :biggrin:, with new practical things to do all the time.

Thank you! What would an electronics engineer's involvement be in power generation in electric vehicles for example?
Reply 7
Thank you! What would an electronics engineer's involvement be in power generation in electric vehicles for example?

The electronics would be dealing with motors, battery, dashboard etc., and would probably also control the mechanics of the car to some extent. A electrical degree would make it easier to get into work on the infrastructure surrounding EVs i.e. the charging stations.
Original post by Ferret!
The electronics would be dealing with motors, battery, dashboard etc., and would probably also control the mechanics of the car to some extent. A electrical degree would make it easier to get into work on the infrastructure surrounding EVs i.e. the charging stations.

Ok great thank you. Did you say you're doing your a-levels right now?
Reply 9
Ok great thank you. Did you say you're doing your a-levels right now?

No problem. :smile:
Yep, nearly finished my a levels, I'm preparing for paper 2 for AQA physics this Friday :bebored:, do you do physics as well?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Ferret!
No problem. :smile:
Yep, nearly finished my a levels, I'm preparing for paper 2 for AQA physics this Friday :bebored:, do you do physics as well?

Yep. You do AQA?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Yeah, I do AQA. I've found their past papers to be alright, though I keep finding the multiple choice ones to take forever to do. On paper 1 I just marked them all "C" at the beginning until I had time at the end to change some of them. :s-smilie:
Original post by Ferret!
Yeah, I do AQA. I've found their past papers to be alright, though I keep finding the multiple choice ones to take forever to do. On paper 1 I just marked them all "C" at the beginning until I had time at the end to change some of them. :s-smilie:

lol is that because of physics online's video that said C has a 28% chance of being correct?

also i recommend doing problem solving instead of just past papers. as we've seen from paper 1 doing past papers didnt help much as they are trying to get us to problem solve instead of just applying a method we've revised. i've been doing questions on isaac physics theyre probably more challenging than what could come up but good preparation.
Reply 13
lol is that because of physics online's video that said C has a 28% chance of being correct?

also i recommend doing problem solving instead of just past papers. as we've seen from paper 1 doing past papers didnt help much as they are trying to get us to problem solve instead of just applying a method we've revised. i've been doing questions on isaac physics theyre probably more challenging than what could come up but good preparation.

Option C do be the best strategy.
Isaac physics is very good for the calculation-type questions for sure. I've mainly focused on the explain-type and definition questions and practising them though, as in paper 1 they asked what resonance was, and I sort of knew it but probably didn't write the key words they want well enough. That moments/stress question though :angry:.
Original post by Ferret!
Option C do be the best strategy.
Isaac physics is very good for the calculation-type questions for sure. I've mainly focused on the explain-type and definition questions and practising them though, as in paper 1 they asked what resonance was, and I sort of knew it but probably didn't write the key words they want well enough. That moments/stress question though :angry:.

Ah yes there is loads of that with thermal and the nuclear 6 markers. Yeah it was tekky, we'll see how it went in august i guess. Onwards and upwards from here! Best of luck for Friday. I've heard 'i want to study engineering' is also good for problem solving
Reply 15
Ah yes there is loads of that with thermal and the nuclear 6 markers. Yeah it was tekky, we'll see how it went in august i guess. Onwards and upwards from here! Best of luck for Friday. I've heard 'i want to study engineering' is also good for problem solving

I'll have a look at that site, I haven't used it. And yes, best of luck with your exams!
Reply 16
so i have found this simulator and added in my circuit but not sure if its looking correct, it does look like a high pass filter
Reply 17
anyone ?
Reply 18
Check your sweep config in schematic, set the min to 10Hz and max to 10kHz.
Reply 19
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest