Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    You guys would be surprised, the money doesn't actually go as far as you'd expect after rent, national insurance, tax, student loan repayments, pension deductions etc. Also it's difficult to buy a decent property in and around London due to the extreme house prices without a massive deposit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You guys would be surprised, the money doesn't actually go as far as you'd expect after rent, national insurance, tax, student loan repayments, pension deductions etc. Also it's difficult to buy a decent property in and around London due to the extreme house prices without a massive deposit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When there are people living on £30k in London, I'm pretty sure £100k can give you a similar lifestyle. You can buy a good two bedroom flat for around £500k, around £2500 a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serions871)
    When there are people living on £30k in London, I'm pretty sure £100k can give you a similar lifestyle. You can buy a good two bedroom flat for around £500k, around £2500 a month.
    I'm sure people do live on less but it's not a race to the bottom. There is an irony in your post that, if you're in the top 3% of earners in the UK, the best you can do is a two bedroom flat? You're correct, of course, but people here make out like you'll be living the high life in a playboy mansion with models and bottles whereas the reality is, yes - you'll be living in a cramped two bedroom flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    I'd rather have a life though, you can earn similar in the public sector after a few more years and have much better work life balance
    public sector salaries don't match up in the slightest
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    After 10-15 years in senior positions you'd be surprised
    Tell me about these public sector jobs with high six to seven figure potential comp figures after 10-15 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's also a dangerous job.
    An intern died a few years back due to a epileptic seizure because he did 3 all nighters.

Not cool man.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure people do live on less but it's not a race to the bottom. There is an irony in your post that, if you're in the top 3% of earners in the UK, the best you can do is a two bedroom flat? You're correct, of course, but people here make out like you'll be living the high life in a playboy mansion with models and bottles whereas the reality is, yes - you'll be living in a cramped two bedroom flat.
    It's basically what I meant: in absolute terms, we are not talking about absurd money, as Analysts (it's a lot compared to average incomes though). I think they don't lack ways to spend what they earn.
    There is even an expression, something like high earners not yet rich. It's still a good lifestyle, financially (you can afford the bottles if you're into that).

(Original post by Lay-Z)
    I'd rather have a life though, you can earn similar in the public sector after a few more years and have much better work life balance
    But also in IB pay increases with seniority, and the hours also get better. Anyways, it's not just the pay, but also, to a certain degree, the prestige, the sense of achievement, etc. Plus some really like finance and IB per se.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    Even for IB i think 7 figures after 10 years is rare, for 6 figure public sector after that time theres quite a few
    2-3 years analyst, 3 years associate, 3-5 years VP, 3-5 years Director/ED then MD. 9-10 years if you rock, 12-15 is more typical.

EDs pull in >£500-600k a year and MDs £700-1mil+.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    It's also a dangerous job.
    An intern died a few years back due to a epileptic seizure because he did 3 all nighters.

Not cool man.
    He had an underlying problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

These figures are about 2 years old (base for graduates a.k.a Analyst 1 is now £50k) but it gives you a ballpark. All-in figures would be base + bonus (i.e. base*(1 + percentage)).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that before or after tax?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laeliakiwi)
    Before

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laeliakiwi)
    Before

ReputationRep:
    Before

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Before
    i cri

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.