The Student Room Group

conflicted 1st yr doing aeronautics at imperial, need opinions!

hello lovely people

To summarise my journey up to today: In Year 13, I applied for Aeronautical Engineering at several universities, and I am now in my first year at Imperial. At the time, I loved it, and to be honest, I still do enjoy the theoretical aspects of my modules. However, I've come to realise that being an aerospace engineer isn't what I had imagined, and the salary doesn't support that either.

Now, I'm about to finish my first year at uni, and over the Easter break, I've been doing research into finance and investment banking. Unfortunately, I did not apply for spring weeks this year, as I was too late. However, my degree is four years, and I think I might be able to apply for some next year. I have zero finance or investment banking experience (apart from gcse business lol), and I am currently planning to spend some money on a long structured course that will cover all the basics of financial modelling, accounting terminology, and all that other stuff. am a bit worried, though, that just taking online courses won't get me very far when applying

I would appreciate some opinions on what my next steps should be
Reply 1
Original post by florakathefloor
hello lovely people

To summarise my journey up to today: In Year 13, I applied for Aeronautical Engineering at several universities, and I am now in my first year at Imperial. At the time, I loved it, and to be honest, I still do enjoy the theoretical aspects of my modules. However, I've come to realise that being an aerospace engineer isn't what I had imagined, and the salary doesn't support that either.

Now, I'm about to finish my first year at uni, and over the Easter break, I've been doing research into finance and investment banking. Unfortunately, I did not apply for spring weeks this year, as I was too late. However, my degree is four years, and I think I might be able to apply for some next year. I have zero finance or investment banking experience (apart from gcse business lol), and I am currently planning to spend some money on a long structured course that will cover all the basics of financial modelling, accounting terminology, and all that other stuff. am a bit worried, though, that just taking online courses won't get me very far when applying

Hi, I see that you have chosen imperial. Please continue to share your journey with us!! Wishing you the very best on whatever you choose to do in your future!!
If you don’t mind, I have got a couple questions on your experience on applying for aero at imperial as I myself would love to apply for imperial as well.
How did your interview go? What did they ask you about? What did you do to prepare for the entrance exam?
Don't lots of people doing engineering degrees go into banking/finance anyway?
Reply 3
Original post by Labradoodle1
Don't lots of people doing engineering degrees go into banking/finance anyway?

Yeah, I have noticed. But I have set my mind on doing an engineering degree. Personally I am not as interested in completing my studies on anything banking or finance related. I am trying to reach out to as many students doing engineering as possible, to hopefully get some more insights into studying engineering at uni.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Be very cautious about spending money on structured courses.
Original post by cc11111
Yeah, I have noticed. But I have set my mind on doing an engineering degree. Personally I am not as interested in completing my studies on anything banking or finance related. I am trying to reach out to as many students doing engineering as possible, to hopefully get some more insights into studying engineering at uni.

Oh, my message was directed at the person who made this thread, sorry if it was unclear.
Original post by florakathefloor
hello lovely people

At Imperial, I'm pretty sure you can shorten the degrees so they're just bachelor's (3yrs) and take a lot of management/finance options in your final year if you want. Alternatively, have seen some do the three years at Imperial and then make their fourth a master's in management - which allows you to do lots of finance roles.

On the internship front, spring weeks often stipulate that you must be a first year student if your course is 3yrs long, but you can be a 2nd year student if your course is 4yrs long. So you should be fine applying for springs next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending