The Student Room Group

Should I make a Stocks and Shares ISA now?

I got 5k in my bank and an undergraduate and currently don't have a part-time job or anything. But I'm rly interested in investing and money and whatnot. There's a lot of hype around the ISA benefits before April 5. If I theoretically put in 1-2k in a stocks and shares ISA and leave it for a few years, it won't collect tax, right?

Do I also have to keep adding money every yr? Or can I leave it be until I have income and can add some more?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Hi there. You can invest in ISAs either as a one off payment or monthly payments. You can only pay into one stocks and shares ISA each financial year, but you can open one now and invest some money as you suggest. It can then sit there for as long as you like. It's up to you whether you want to pay any more in next financial year. Alternatively you can invest in a different one with an alternative provider. You are right that you don't pay any tax on anything earned through an ISA.
Original post by Nice_100
I got 5k in my bank and an undergraduate and currently don't have a part-time job or anything. But I'm rly interested in investing and money and whatnot. There's a lot of hype around the ISA benefits before April 5. If I theoretically put in 1-2k in a stocks and shares ISA and leave it for a few years, it won't collect tax, right?

Do I also have to keep adding money every yr? Or can I leave it be until I have income and can add some more?

You might want to consider a Lifetime ISA too, particularly if you want to save for a deposit for a house. You can invest up to £4k a year and the government adds a 25% bonus to the amount you invest. Beware - there is a withdrawal penalty if it is not used towards buying your first home or left until retirement.

The following website is a reputable source for personal financial advice:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/isa-guide-savings-without-tax/
Reply 3
Its important to note that any form of investing carries it's own risks. Note that you are not guaranteed returns on your capital when you invest in a stocks and shares ISA.

Therefore, It's completely possible you might lose all (or a lot of) your money. Case in point:
Look at Nasdaq yearly returns, specifically during the internet bubble from 2000 - 2002. If you had invested £5k at the beginning of 2000 into a Nasdaq tracker, at the end of 2002 you would have been left with circa £1300. (source: Nasdaq 100 Annual Returns by Year (slickcharts.com) )

It's crucial you do your research, with careful consideration of your long term & short term goals. Just an FYI.

That said, you woudn't have to pay any tax on your gains from an ISA. You can deposit up to £20k every financial year into an ISA (cumulatively). So if you had £4k in a Lifetime ISA, then your Stocks and Shares ISA allowance would be reduced to £16k for that year.

You can leave it for as long as you want. Generally for stocks and shares ISAs, if you have a well diversified porfolio and market conditions remain mostly favourable, it's advisable to leave money for longer rather than shorter periods of time. Using my example above of an initial investment of £5k, even though you are left with £1300 at the end of 2002, if you hold till 2017 (with no other invested capital) your return should be around £8,300.

Hope this gives a bit of clarity between the risks and rewards of investing.
Reply 4
Original post by Anon2463
Its important to note that any form of investing carries it's own risks. Note that you are not guaranteed returns on your capital when you invest in a stocks and shares ISA.
Therefore, It's completely possible you might lose all (or a lot of) your money. Case in point:
Look at Nasdaq yearly returns, specifically during the internet bubble from 2000 - 2002. If you had invested £5k at the beginning of 2000 into a Nasdaq tracker, at the end of 2002 you would have been left with circa £1300. (source: Nasdaq 100 Annual Returns by Year (slickcharts.com) )
It's crucial you do your research, with careful consideration of your long term & short term goals. Just an FYI.
That said, you woudn't have to pay any tax on your gains from an ISA. You can deposit up to £20k every financial year into an ISA (cumulatively). So if you had £4k in a Lifetime ISA, then your Stocks and Shares ISA allowance would be reduced to £16k for that year.
You can leave it for as long as you want. Generally for stocks and shares ISAs, if you have a well diversified porfolio and market conditions remain mostly favourable, it's advisable to leave money for longer rather than shorter periods of time. Using my example above of an initial investment of £5k, even though you are left with £1300 at the end of 2002, if you hold till 2017 (with no other invested capital) your return should be around £8,300.
Hope this gives a bit of clarity between the risks and rewards of investing.

Yep, it certainly has, thanks! I've made my ISA and just dropped under 1k into the vanguard S&P 500 for diversification because I don't want to move too fast and instead take time to learn about the stock market before deciding on anything else.
Reply 5
Yep, it certainly has, thanks! I've made my ISA and just dropped under 1k into the vanguard S&P 500 for diversification because I don't want to move too fast and instead take time to learn about the stock market before deciding on anything else.

Probably a prudent course of action.

Though, why a S&P500 tracker instead of a Gobal All Cap Index? Any specific reason you want to be exposed to US markets more? Not questioning your decison making, just simply curious.
Reply 6
It may or may not be prudent, but the S&P 500 index has proven to beat practically every other index and ETF out there for the last decade or so. Especially last year, the returns were crazy. I'm kind of annoyed I didn't make my ISA earlier but it is what it is.

As for ur 2nd Q, the US has literally outperformed every other nation on this planet for years. If you read the FT or Economist, every graph they have has literally showed this trajectory of high US productivity while the EU is lagging behind - though I understand there are other factors besides productivity that contributes to company profits or smth. Thing is, a Global All Cap Index sounds really good as there are a bunch of high potential overseas companies, but I honestly have just started getting into the stock market - practically a newbie, and I have exams to revise for this May so I don't have enough time to go through all these indexes and ETFs. Not sure if I want to stay investing in the S&P 500 for my entire life but it literally is the safest investment so far, in my opinion.
It may or may not be prudent, but the S&P 500 index has proven to beat practically every other index and ETF out there for the last decade or so. Especially last year, the returns were crazy. I'm kind of annoyed I didn't make my ISA earlier but it is what it is.
As for ur 2nd Q, the US has literally outperformed every other nation on this planet for years. If you read the FT or Economist, every graph they have has literally showed this trajectory of high US productivity while the EU is lagging behind - though I understand there are other factors besides productivity that contributes to company profits or smth. Thing is, a Global All Cap Index sounds really good as there are a bunch of high potential overseas companies, but I honestly have just started getting into the stock market - practically a newbie, and I have exams to revise for this May so I don't have enough time to go through all these indexes and ETFs. Not sure if I want to stay investing in the S&P 500 for my entire life but it literally is the safest investment so far, in my opinion.

There are a few good channels on YT to watch and learn about investing.
Here are a few I have found interesting and useful:-

Toby Newbatt
Investing Simplified - Professor G (focus on US markets)
Investing Made Simple - Nathan Sloan

Also want to second the advice given above, invest for the long-term- at least 5, and preferably 10 years.
Good blog is 'Banker on fire'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending