The Student Room Group

World Twenty20 2016 Thread

It's almost here, folks.

Who do you fancy to take the trophy?

India are favourites, and rightly so, but you'd be a fool to write off Australia.

SA and NZ have great quality in their batting line-ups, Pakistan and SL will enjoy the conditions, the Windies are a mercurial beast and England are the most exciting they've been in white-ball cricket for years.

The warm-up matches get underway on March 8.

Group A:
Bangladesh
Netherlands
Ireland
Oman

Group B:
Scotland
Zimbabwe
Afghanistan
Hong Kong

Second round
Group 1
Sri Lanka
South Africa
West Indies
England
Group B winnter

Group 2
India
New Zealand
Pakistan
Australia
Group A Winner

Scroll to see replies

Really excited for this, obviously! :biggrin:

India to win the trophy, hopefully!

Will post my updated predictions for the WT20 after the Asia Cup final on Sunday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
:woo: Can't wait for it to start :excited:
Any from Pakistan/India/England! :ahee:
Original post by undercxver
Any from Pakistan/India/England! :ahee:

Agreed, though Pakistan at first haha!:h:

Don't think I would have said India but its very dear to me now:colondollar: so I genuinely wish India best of luck after Pakistan:h:
Original post by BrokenLife
Agreed, though Pakistan at first haha!:h:

Don't think I would have said India but its very dear to me now:colondollar: so I genuinely wish India best of luck after Pakistan:h:

Haha, it may just be a win-win situation for you too for this upcoming India vs. Pakistan match.:dancing2:
Reply 7
I imagine we'll see a final four of SA, SL, India and Australia personally.

Pakistan and England may edge their ways in, though, admittedly.
Reply 8
If Pakistan doesnt reach the final i would be gutted :hmpf:
Reply 9
Australia and England will need to perform better against spin if they're to stand a chance.

I just feel India are the most complete side. They perhaps lack a bit between number four and number seven in the batting order, and are perhaps too timid in the middle overs, but they will love the conditions and have the best side and best form.
Original post by Zainab14

The way they are playing at the moment, quarter-finals will be a stretch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zainab14

We are a poor side led by a poor captain. Winning one game would be an achievement.
Original post by The_K1NG
We are a poor side led by a poor captain. Winning one game would be an achievement.

Sarfaraz or Shoaib would've been better captains.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
The way they are playing at the moment, quarter-finals will be a stretch.

I hate to admit it but ur right. :sigh:

Original post by The_K1NG

Yehh i agree.. i guess theres no point keeping our hopes up high anymore :unimpressed:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not one for firm - and pessimistic - predictions but Pakistan won't win a single game. Quote me if they do.

No batting fluidity whatsoever and beating UAE/Sri Lanka is in no way an indication of form. Amir will be the only one performing to his best level.
Only focusing on India group 2 - Bangladesh will be the winner of group A. Still, an easy win I feel on the grounds of form and conditions. Pakistan will be a win, assuming little to no batting resistance, which is highly likely! New Zealand will be tough I feel, apart from guptill + Kane, there's no reliable batting, especially with Mac retiring, but their bowling is top quality. Australia will be tough also, I reckon sods law will have them 'click' the day before they play India and then they'll win.

Overall, India should take this one easily
Reply 16
Original post by Aky786UK
I'm not one for firm - and pessimistic - predictions but Pakistan won't win a single game. Quote me if they do.

No batting fluidity whatsoever and beating UAE/Sri Lanka is in no way an indication of form. Amir will be the only one performing to his best level.

It's obvious that England, SA, India and Australia should be the final four. I'd say the best team to upset that is NZ, but they'll need to be at their best.
Original post by Enginerd.
Sarfaraz or Shoaib would've been better captains.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shoaib quit captaincy during PSL so if he can't handle the pressure of captaincy in a domestic tournament, I don't think he will do well as an international captain And besides the way his last tenure as Pakistan captain ended, Malik wouldn't be a good choice. Sarfrraz I agree. He is a good captain and I'm looking forward to post Afridi era when Sarfraz will be the captain. Hopefully then the team will be selected on merit and crook Afridi won't use his power to pick his under performing buddies.
Expect Zimbabwe and Bangladesh to get through to the main draw.
With the assumption that Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will get through, these are my predictions and key players for the WT20:

India - Favourites for the WT20, and rightly so. Home conditions and have been in excellent form in recent times. Maybe a question mark about the lower order, but they have still performed at different times over the last few months.
Prediction: Champions!
Key players: Virat Kohli and Ashish Nehra. Obviously, Ashwin is India's premier bowler and he may well be the bowler of the tournament, but in recent times, Nehra and Bumrah have given us amazing starts and they have been very important. As the senior bowler, and he most likely won't play in another World Cup, Nehra is going to be key. Don't need to explain Kohli.

South Africa - Have a really good T20 team with a lot of explosive players. Will be interesting to see how the middle order do if the top order fail. I see them having a good tournament, provided they adapt to the conditions early.
Prediction: Finalists
Key players: ABDV, obviously and Imran Tahir. SA rely quite heavily on Imran Tahir in the middle overs and in subcontinental conditions, he will be vital.

Australia - Always a strong team in big tournaments and see this one being no different. They have a quality batting line up, but I feel there are question marks about the bowling attack and there ability against spin.
Prediction:Gonna take a massive punt and say they won't get past the group stages.
Key players: David Warner and Josh Hazlewood. Will be interesting to see whether Warner plays at the top or in the middle order.

England - Have an exciting team that have been playing some decent cricket. Their ability against spin will come into question, though. Bowling wise, their spinners will have a hard job to do.
Prediction:Semi finalists. I feel like they have enough quality to beat WI and SL.
Key players Alex Hales and Moeen Ali.

New Zealand - Feel like they will deeply miss B-Mac, but with Williamson taking over, they have an excellent batsman and calm guy as captain. They may rely quite heavily on Williamson and Guptill, though. Have had struggles against spin in the past and that might be the key, once again. Have a good bowling attack and quite a few spin options too.
Prediction:I pip them to go through to the semis instead of the Aussies.
Key players Kane Williamson and Tim Southee/Trent Boult. Both seamers are going to be very important.

West Indies - Missing a few key players, but still have plenty of T20 experience in the squad. Not really sure what to expect from them, because they are so hot and cold. They are very much like Pakistan with their unpredictability, but I feel like this might be a challenge too far for them.
Prediction: Group stages
Key players: Chris Gayle and Samuel Badree.

Pakistan - Not really sure where to start. Have really struggled with the bat recently, but have a quality bowling attack. Need the experienced players to come through.
Key players: Umar Akmal and Mohammad Amir.

Sri Lanka - Always tough contenders in tournaments, and have a very good record in the WT20. I don't really see them doing very well, though. They struggled massively with the bat in the Asia cup and in the series against India and I feel like that will happen again.
Key players: Angelo Mathews and Lasith Malinga. They desperately need their experienced players to come through.

Bangladesh - Always tough in subcontinental conditions. I expect them to give everyone tough games. It shouldn't be considered an upset if they beat anyone, because they have some quality players.
Prediction: Group stages (I feel like they have some chance of progressing though).
Key players: Shakib Al Hasan and Mustafiur Rahman.

Zimbabwe - Not really sure what to expect. Hope they provide some exciting matches.
Key players: Hamilton Masakadza and Elton Chigumbura.

Sorry it is so long, but these are just my thoughts :colondollar: :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest