The Student Room Group

Question about Foundation and Higher Maths (Edexcel IGCSE)

I'm applying as a private candidate so I've little clue as to how it works. Say I were to choose to take Higher Maths, do I still have to take Foundation Maths together with it? Or do I just advance into Higher Maths? What do FR and HR mean? And I know Pure Maths isn't the same but will I benefit from taking it? I'm looking to do some of the Higher Maths exam papers now and I'm confused. What is 3H/4H and 3HR/4HR?
(edited 7 years ago)
If you're doing GCSE, which you have indicated you are, foundation and higher are both prespective qualifications, just foundation is seen as less "valuable", supposedly, than higher as the highest you can acheive is a C (5 I think with the new grading system) whereas with Higher you can acheive a (9 etc.) plus Higher, offers more challenging questions as opposed to Foundation. And no you don't take them at the same time.
Reply 2
Original post by Adzkii786
If you're doing GCSE, which you have indicated you are, foundation and higher are both prespective qualifications, just foundation is seen as less "valuable", supposedly, than higher as the highest you can acheive is a C (5 I think with the new grading system) whereas with Higher you can acheive a (9 etc.) plus Higher, offers more challenging questions as opposed to Foundation. And no you don't take them at the same time.

Hey thanks for the reply! So if I were to take an exam, I'll have to choose Higher Maths on my own, right?

Quick Reply

Latest