The Student Room Group

Rumour: GAME going under

Scroll to see replies

Oh man, I remember Game for as long as I remember.
Eurgh im not surprised! I got a christmas temp job at a GAME store and I was shocked to learn that the manager didnt even like games! He said he couldnt care less about what games we sold as long as we sold accessories as GAME got all the money from the home brand stuff. There was just a total disregard for customer service and se werent even told to talk about the games themselves, just how to work out how to get them to buy things they dont fully understand (like the games with figures).

I wont miss them, i get most of my stuff either from Cex or Amazon these days. After working for GAME, I kind of dont want to buy from them again. Considering how they dont even have an inch of customer respect (yes i know they need to make money but at the same time they should treat thier customers like people and not walking wallets.) I remember a time when i could chat for hours to the employees about games new and old. Obviously trying a new approach now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I often find Game not very busy every time I go in there. It's only very busy about Christmas time
Reply 23
I haven't been in a GAME shop since I bought the original 3DS. Shopping online is just so much cheaper now.
i'm glad i'm not the only one who had to go through that lol! they told us the same thing and then asked us who our favourite video game character was and why... its kind of like, why do you care, and most of them didn't even know the character I'd said anyway that was from one of the most popular videogame franchises...

i like cex because i can always stand and have a chat with them about whatever i'm buying or ask them to give me advice on what films to watch, in game they just divebomb straight to the £60 collectors edition of a game i've said i dont like but they just say "give it a try". :P rip game!
I still prefer buying a physical copy of games, by buying from the Xbox Store etc you don't own the game, just a licence to play it.

That said, Amazon or even ASDA is better.
Does anyone else think that Game doesn't do good prices for pre owned games
Original post by sharkbate633
Does anyone else think that Game doesn't do good prices for pre owned games

When I went in last time (quite a while ago now) they had Animal Crossing Happy Home for £15 NEW and then the exact same game pre-owned for £20. Figure that one out. o-O; When I asked if it was a mistake they said no lol.
Original post by ohgeez
Might be worth be using up any credit you have with the store if you've got any. Haven't used GAME in years personally.

http://www.outoflives.net/2016/05/28/game-stores-to-close/

Original post by melinae
When I went in last time (quite a while ago now) they had Animal Crossing Happy Home for £15 NEW and then the exact same game pre-owned for £20. Figure that one out. o-O; When I asked if it was a mistake they said no lol.

£20 for a pre owned game. They should of put it for about £5- £10 also there's no logic selling a new game £5 cheaper than the pre owned which is the exact same game
The game staff at my store are usually very nice. Quite helpful especially when I go in to get the pokemon codes. (Don't really buy games from there unless its the same price as other places, which isn't often)
Again, this is not a story. It's made up. But we already know Game is going soon, as in years not weeks. It's a relic.

As long as it doesn't go before I use my gift card, then good riddance. It gobbled up the actual good places with variety and good prices like Gamestation and Gameplay.co.uk and left us with a small selection of current gen stuff on the shelves. Yet rather than monopolise the market, it's now being outpriced by food shops, while CEX has made a mockery of it. It's the equivalent of dying on the toilet.

No idea why it was saved a few years ago, it was just delaying the inevitable and is a waste of everyone's time really, its business practices were a joke. It had two or three Games right next door to each other or on the same street after the Gamestation buyout, didn't even bother closing half their stores until they were in frigging administration. No company deserves to survive after that.

As for staff, I know a few bad experiences with Game and Gamestation:

- Thinking Silent Hill was some game called 'Sonic Hill' (which was apparently made by EA)

- Refusing to believe a game was PAL even though the whole cover art and back was in English and it had 'PAL' on it

- Refusing to trade a game because 'it wasn't worth the paperwork'

- One staff member going on Facebook and insulting and abusing the entire customer base if any had a complaint, going completely mental when someone suggested she was one of us normal folk ("I'm not mainstream")

- Lack of info over preorders (i.e. that you're not ****ing getting it), and when cancelling the 'preorder' a week or three after release, being told "it's not like you paid anything so it's fine".

There was certainly a time when most stores' hiring policy seemed to just be a checklist titled 'does applicant tick one of these boxes?' with just two options below: 'nice tits' and 'weird hair'.

Won't be missed overall.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest