The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
TheWolf
What else do you do after the hour/two of trading? :cool:

Obviously the Investment Bank traders are trading all day, right?
Reply 261
Did you hear about the GS trader who made $71million last year :biggrin:
Reply 262
jamierwilliams
Did you hear about the GS trader who made $71millions last year :biggrin:

:eek: not bad :cool:
Reply 263
Ibankers trade all day for say a 60 hour workweek.

The 71 million is not the correct. If I am not HUGELY mistaken the highest is earned by President and Head of Fixed Income Commodities and Currencies at Goldman Sachs which I think was in the 16mill-21 million bracket. Sadly Ibank traders cannot make that much.

On the other hand at hedge funds we have God's incarnation George Soros with 750 million. After that are a bunch of other supertraders like Steve Cohen and DE Shaw raking in 100s of mills.
Reply 264
"What else do you do after the hour/two of trading?"

Well my mentor plays golf then heads to parties. And he travels like A LOT. Miami, NYC, Chitown all over the place. I am telling you he has THE LIFE!
Reply 265
mahras
"What else do you do after the hour/two of trading?"

Well my mentor plays golf then heads to parties. And he travels like A LOT. Miami, NYC, Chitown all over the place. I am telling you he has THE LIFE!

Whats this? Working for only an hour or two a day? Who does this? How do I become one? lol :eek:
Reply 266
heh become a godlike forex trader which almost ESP like powers. Then open a personal trading account for the conservative plays with your money and a get hired by a prop trading firm which lets you keep 50% of all the profits. Then you are set :wink:.
Reply 267
Cool!! So how do you become godlike forex trader??
Reply 268
I have no idea. He just know in his gut EXACTLY whats going to happen. Like he can feel it. There is no logical explanation. Its what I call a traders instinct. Either one has it or they dont you. Sometimes I have these feelings also but they arent as consistent as his.

Heh Soros once dumped his positions because of a back ache in the morning. He saved a couple of hundred million by getting out.
jamierwilliams
Of course you can! I think that the elitist streak in IBs of hiring Oxbridge candidates is massively depreciating

I think you'll find an Oxbridge-emphasis in IB has almost died completely. There are far more LSE graduates in IB than there are from Oxford or Cambridge. Some banks also have more from Warwick and Nottingham than from Ox/Cam. Elitism only remains at the traditional banks such as Rothschild.
Reply 270
Cool, so that means that I'll be fine with UCL!! Just in case I don't get into UCL is Cass an ok business school?
Reply 271
ornela
Cool, so that means that I'll be fine with UCL!! Just in case I don't get into UCL is Cass an ok business school?

I've heard excellent things about the Cass Business School and heard that many students from there go into IB.
ornela what course have you applied for?
Reply 273
I have applied for Economics to all universities, although I have recently changed my mind about City and asked them to change my offer from Economics to Banking and International Finance.
Reply 274
Just out of interest, what is the most common way into a hedge-fund career?
Reply 275
jamie....lotsa ways:

One is enter out of college into a trading desk in a ibank. Have some experience and then go to a headhunter to get into a hedge fund.
Then you could be a prop trader and eventually go into a hedge fund.
You could be a ibanking industry peop for a couple of years and then decide you hate your life and plead to get into a hedge fund :wink:.

Those are some possibilities.

For the traders here:
Look at tomorrows US CPI data. If it is up high enough move into materials. Also into bond ETFs which go up when bonds go down (when rates go up). Basically if the data is high enough it will signal inflation in the US. Dont know if any of you trade US equities though. Good luck guys!
Reply 276
Mahras, what range of dividend yields of a share is a good sign? Below 5%?
Reply 277
Heh I am not a vanilla trader. Terminology time! : vanilla traders: low risk low return trader boring stuff. Dont buy a stock because of dividends. Only a SMALL portion of the portfolio.

Hmmm however if you are a dividend based investor look into REITs. Best place to get dividends hands down. 5%+ always and consistently each year. THEY ARE REQUIRED to give out their extra income to remain REITs so you usually can be assured of getting dividends. However the industry has been beaten up recently.

As we are all young and risk taking worthy :smile: invest in some volatile stocks. I am thinking of moving into oil and gold soon. Dollar should go down and as the prices of oil and gold are denominated in dollars it will go up also.

If anyone was trading last night FOREX it was ridiculous. I was down 40 pips when i was backing the dollar against the pound and the swissy. I made that up by going long the pound against the yen and longing the dollar against the aussie and then going short soon. After that I just went crazy and put in 2 lot trades (200K) per pair on three pairs (600K trade total) on a 6K account LOL :smile:. Got out up 25 pips with 500 dollars in bank in 15 minutes with almost a heart attack.

Times like those make me love trading :smile:.
Reply 278
Ignorant that I am in this field, but doesn't high yields not mean that the market expects the dividend to be reduced in due course? Or is this complete rubbish? :redface:

wd on your FOREX trading btw :wink:
Reply 279
depends on the industry wolf. Actually depends on companies. There are many possibilities. In the REIT industry high yeild=great investment while in the tech industry high yeild may mean low price movement. It is completely relative on the industry and company. What i suggest is that you look at the price chart with that of the industry super imposed. Find out the last dividend payment date and see how it performed relative to the industry and the indices. That should help you out.

-mahras

Latest

Trending

Trending