The Student Room Group

Economics without maths A-level

I'm 2nd year sixth form doing Economics, Geography and Sociology, and ideally want to go into investment banking, do I have any chance of getting into target unis without Maths A-level? If not, what options do I have for getting into IB or financial advisory perhaps. I'm also doing a gap year next year, and am open to going abroad or pursuing opportunities this year to improve my prospects. Any advice is appreciated, thanks :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by afnjaif
I'm 2nd year sixth form doing Economics, Geography and Sociology, and ideally want to go into investment banking, do I have any chance of getting into target unis without Maths A-level? If not, what options do I have for getting into IB or financial advisory perhaps. I'm also doing a gap year next year, and am open to going abroad or pursuing opportunities this year to improve my prospects. Any advice is appreciated, thanks :smile:

I'm pretty sure even at top unis you can take a joint honours like PPE without maths, and then just choose economics modules, it might not be what you are looking for but if you really want to go to a target uni, then doing just economics just wont be possible without maths.
Original post by afnjaif

As the above poster suggested, there's zero chance of studying a straight economics degree at a target without maths a-level. You may be able to do a joint economics degree, but even a lot of those require maths a-level, but there are definitely some that don't. Alternatively, you pursue a non-economics related degree at a target (as these are unlikely to require maths a-level) and then just apply for IB springs, summers and grad positions don't have degree subject preferences.

Some possible ones to consider:

LSE BSc Economic History

Warwick BSc/BA Economics, Politics & International Studies (bit ambiguous on the a-level maths requirement).

Warwick BSc/BA Economics, Psychology & Philosophy

Oxford BA History & Economics (maths is only a recommendation not a requirement).

Oxford PPE (same as above)

UCL BSc Social Sciences

Cambridge BA HSPS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending