The Student Room Group

Work Experience on CV

I am a 3rd year Environmental Science student who wants to go into sustainability consultancy. I have emailed a local port to get some work experience with their sustainability/environmental team this summer. They can only offer unpaid 5 week work experience. Would this experience be helpful and could I still put it on my CV even though I didn't have to apply really and it's unpaid work experience? Thanks.
Reply 1
Yeah stuff like that is fine to go on your CV. It really doesn't matter that it's unpaid or that you didn't need to go through an application process cause future employers don't care about those details, they willl only be concerned with what you did while you were there, and how the skills/experience you gained will add value to their company if they hire you. On your CV list it as a placement or internship or something, that sounds more professional than 'work experience'.
Reply 2
Yes you can definitely put voluntary work on your CV and if you make any online applications there is often space on an application form for voluntary/unpaid work. You will still be gaining lots of transferable skills so it doesn't matter that it wasn't paid employment and highlights your keen interest in the subject matter too. They should also be happy to provide you with a reference which might prove useful.
Reply 3
Original post by Snowwh
Yes you can definitely put voluntary work on your CV and if you make any online applications there is often space on an application form for voluntary/unpaid work. You will still be gaining lots of transferable skills so it doesn't matter that it wasn't paid employment and highlights your keen interest in the subject matter too. They should also be happy to provide you with a reference which might prove useful.
Okay thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Pedr0
Yeah stuff like that is fine to go on your CV. It really doesn't matter that it's unpaid or that you didn't need to go through an application process cause future employers don't care about those details, they willl only be concerned with what you did while you were there, and how the skills/experience you gained will add value to their company if they hire you. On your CV list it as a placement or internship or something, that sounds more professional than 'work experience'.
Okay thanks so much!
It will be an amazing opportunity to flourish your skills which will help you in cracking the interviews further. But remember design your CV in a best way so that it tackles ATS and gets sight of hiring authorities. Getting job depends upon Interview and getting interview depends upon CV.
Reply 6
Original post by ahsaniqbal5277
It will be an amazing opportunity to flourish your skills which will help you in cracking the interviews further. But remember design your CV in a best way so that it tackles ATS and gets sight of hiring authorities. Getting job depends upon Interview and getting interview depends upon CV.

thank you so much for ur reply, what does ATS mean?
Reply 7
Original post by akuaaaaaa

Applicant tracking system

https://www.jobscan.co/blog/ats-formatting-mistakes/
Original post by akuaaaaaa

Application tracking system that works on keywords and types. It actually matches the keywords in the jon description with what you have written in your CV and then passes or fails according to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending