Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, any maths teacher who teach year 7 can help me with this question please ?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by meme12)
    Hi, any maths teacher who teach year 7 can help me with this question please ?
    What's the question?

ReputationRep:
    I have to give a lesson to year 7 and it's about the ratio of an amount, my question is how far should I go, I don't want to teach something which is confusing or hard to understand .
    for example should I give this question or this will be too hard for them
    Tom and Jerry share 120g of chocolate inthe ratio 2 : 3. How much chocolate does Tom get? Tom gets 2 parts andJerry gets 3 parts and so the chocolate is divided into 5 equal parts. Tofind how much chocolate is in 1 part, we divide 120 by 5, which gives us24g. Tom has 2 parts so he gets 2 × 24 = 48g.

ReputationRep:
    or should I just explain the ratio and HCF and that's enough I only have 20 minutes to deliver the lesson
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I have to give a lesson to year 7 and it's about the ratio of an amount, my question is how far should I go, I don't want to teach something which is confusing or hard to understand .
    for example should I give this question or this will be too hard for them
    Tom and Jerry share 120g of chocolate inthe ratio 2 : 3. How much chocolate does Tom get? Tom gets 2 parts andJerry gets 3 parts and so the chocolate is divided into 5 equal parts. Tofind how much chocolate is in 1 part, we divide 120 by 5, which gives us24g. Tom has 2 parts so he gets 2 × 24 = 48g.
    I don't know what knowledge you can assume / how bright they are. I'm assuming that they have done some ratio in the past?

It's probably best to start with an easier question e.g. share 50g in the ratio 2:3. It will hopefully be intuitive that the answer is 20g:30g.

Then maybe the question share 100g in the ratio 2:3.

Then introduce the concept of 2:3 as 2 parts : 3 parts and show how to find 1 part.

Then give them a harder question like the one in your example.

When you teach a new concept it's often best to start slow and begin with a question that all the students can do. Then gradually introduce the concept and make sure that everyone is keeping up.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    or should I just explain the ratio and HCF and that's enough I only have 20 minutes to deliver the lesson
    20 minutes should be fine for starter question, explanation, harder question etc.

It probably won't be enough time to get them to try questions themselves.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 11, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.