The Student Room Group

Ratio of an amount

Hi, any maths teacher who teach year 7 can help me with this question please ?
Reply 1
Original post by meme12
Hi, any maths teacher who teach year 7 can help me with this question please ?

What's the question?
Reply 2
I have to give a lesson to year 7 and it's about the ratio of an amount, my question is how far should I go, I don't want to teach something which is confusing or hard to understand .
for example should I give this question or this will be too hard for them
Tom and Jerry share 120g of chocolate inthe ratio 2 : 3. How much chocolate does Tom get? Tom gets 2 parts andJerry gets 3 parts and so the chocolate is divided into 5 equal parts. Tofind how much chocolate is in 1 part, we divide 120 by 5, which gives us24g. Tom has 2 parts so he gets 2 × 24 = 48g.
Reply 3
or should I just explain the ratio and HCF and that's enough I only have 20 minutes to deliver the lesson
Reply 4
Original post by meme12
I have to give a lesson to year 7 and it's about the ratio of an amount, my question is how far should I go, I don't want to teach something which is confusing or hard to understand .
for example should I give this question or this will be too hard for them
Tom and Jerry share 120g of chocolate inthe ratio 2 : 3. How much chocolate does Tom get? Tom gets 2 parts andJerry gets 3 parts and so the chocolate is divided into 5 equal parts. Tofind how much chocolate is in 1 part, we divide 120 by 5, which gives us24g. Tom has 2 parts so he gets 2 × 24 = 48g.

I don't know what knowledge you can assume / how bright they are. I'm assuming that they have done some ratio in the past?

It's probably best to start with an easier question e.g. share 50g in the ratio 2:3. It will hopefully be intuitive that the answer is 20g:30g.

Then maybe the question share 100g in the ratio 2:3.

Then introduce the concept of 2:3 as 2 parts : 3 parts and show how to find 1 part.

Then give them a harder question like the one in your example.

When you teach a new concept it's often best to start slow and begin with a question that all the students can do. Then gradually introduce the concept and make sure that everyone is keeping up.
Reply 5
Original post by meme12
or should I just explain the ratio and HCF and that's enough I only have 20 minutes to deliver the lesson

20 minutes should be fine for starter question, explanation, harder question etc.

It probably won't be enough time to get them to try questions themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest