The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Nabster_88
So Fossi2.......have you decided yet.:smile:

I wish but I'm swinging towards the safety of the LSE
Reply 61
go to LSE. dont be soo stupid. Even if I had a Geo offer from Oxford, I would have still gone to LSE to study geo and eco.
Reply 62
the whole london lifestyle lack of community, poor sports facillities, cost, general congestion

In the OP these were the reasons you gave for not going to the LSE.

If these really are what concerns you, then you should go to the LSE. None of them in London is as bad as you think, and several are probably worse in Oxford than you think (cost/congestion in particular).
Reply 63
go to LSE. dont be soo stupid. Even if I had a Geo offer from Oxford, I would have still gone to LSE to study geo and eco.

i bet you my liver you wouldnt.
Reply 64
Consie
i bet you my liver you wouldnt.
Only because if they left some behind it could regrow :wink::p:
gooseymcgoose
up there with Oxford, Durham is not

What a load of crap. Substantiate that.
Reply 66
Danny_777
What a load of crap. Substantiate that.

Welcome to the real world "Mr Bias Clouding My View".
AlexCash
Welcome to the real world "Mr Bias Clouding My View".

What?! Not particularly. I'm just going by the fact that Durham has the 5th highest entrance grades etc., and regularly rivals/beats Oxbridge in league tables for most of their subjects. And yet someone claims it's 'not up there'...?

Again, substantiate the claim.
Reply 68
Danny_777
What?! Not particularly. I'm just going by the fact that Durham has the 5th highest entrance grades etc., and regularly rivals/beats Oxbridge in league tables for most of their subjects. And yet someone claims it's 'not up there'...?

Yes, but whatever the league tables may say, Durham is still not as competitive for undergrad entry as Oxbridge or the LSE, so goosey was right.
I never read articles by Durham based academics, I never see Durham students in the banking et al grad recruitment process which is dominated by London/Oxbridge/Warwick. Their admissions decisions raise an eye to say the least (I got into Durham, before you beg that question). Durham beats Oxbridge in tables for most subjects? Uh?
Competition doesn't necessarily equate to quality. Were we not debating quality when "up there" was mentioned...?
And Durham's pretty bloody competitive - 2100 applicants for 109 places for the Law course. 1800 of those had AAA or better.
Reply 72
Danny_777

Put simply, it's full of Oxbridge rejects and people not good enough to even apply to Oxbridge. It's a different league to Oxbridge, and not in a good way.
AlexCash
Put simply, it's full of Oxbridge rejects and people not good enough to even apply to Oxbridge. It's a different league to Oxbridge, and not in a good way.

Again, substantiate your claim.
AlexCash
Put simply, it's full of Oxbridge rejects and people not good enough to even apply to Oxbridge.

So basically like every other top 10 uni...?
andthatswhy
I never read articles by Durham based academics

I also wonder about its "we are almost Oxbridge" reputation due to this. I've also never read anything by a professor from Durham.
Durham is still not as competitive for undergrad entry as Oxbridge or the LSE

True, but it is probably more competitive than any other university to get into, including UCL, Warwick, Bristol etc. It gets an unnecessary slating on TSR for no good reason I can see.
Reply 77
Heartbreaker
True, but it is probably more competitive than any other university to get into, including UCL, Warwick, Bristol etc. It gets an unnecessary slating on TSR for no good reason I can see.

Hmm, I would probably say in terms of competitiveness the order would be:

1. Oxbridge / LSE (Oxbridge slightly edging it, perhaps)
2. Imperial
3. Durham / Warwick
4. Bristol
5. The rest

Don't know if that's right, but it's just my own subjective impression. It also takes no account of the individual subject being applied for.
Reply 78
In reply to the OP, I would say there is academically not much in it. In fact, as others have said, doing joint geog & econ might teach you more / make you more employable.

It more comes down to two things. Firstly the location: big city or smaller, countryside place? I went to Oxford last Sunday and was actually surprised at how small it seemed (I've spent 3 years in London at Imperial). I actually love London nowadays, and think I will find Oxford quite subdued (starting there next month).

Secondly, the learning style. I think at London unis it's basically 'here are the lectures, these are the exams, learn it'. Whereas at Oxbridge I think they hold your hand a lot more with regular tutorials - not that that's a bad thing necessarily, you probably get more work done!

So go to London if you want total freedom (academic, social), go to Oxford if you want something a bit more 'local'. At the end of the day, your success will depend on how hard you worked, not whether you went to LSE or Oxford.
Reply 79
shady lane
I also wonder about its "we are almost Oxbridge" reputation due to this. I've also never read anything by a professor from Durham.

Try Stanley Baldwin by Philip Williamson, very good if you have any interest in British Politics between the wars.

Latest

Trending

Trending