The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Bliar?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
BloodyValentine
much shorter war though

Germany was hardly a wilderness when the war ended.
Reply 141
Airport Fairy
Is Tony Blair a liar?

No I don't think he is a liar. I think that at the time he made the claim he genuinly felt and the evidence suggested that Iraq has wepons of Mass destruction. I don't think he purposefully mislead the public.
vienna95
Germany was hardly a wilderness when the war ended.

it was bombed to pieces though much more so than iraq
Reply 143
Lord Huntroyde
I didn't say that.

I said an Iraqi company should be set up and helped by the coalition thus helping to rebuild Iraq.

At the moment most of the profits from rebuilding Iraq are going to America.

i appreciate that, but there is little you can do when those companies are far more capable. the primary objective is to get the country back on its feet.

Bechtel Signs First Iraqi Firm to Construction Subcontract (5/30/2003)

KUWAIT CITY, KUWAIT (Friday, May 30, 2003)—Bechtel today signed its first subcontract with an Iraqi company under its prime contract supporting USAID's Iraq Infrastructure Reconstruction Program. The scope of work of the subcontract is to design and construct a bridge bypass of about 1.5 km in length for a critical highway in the western part of the country.

Al-Bunnia Trading Company, a 93-year-old Baghdad-based construction firm, will work with Bechtel supervisors to provide field engineering services and construct the bypass on Highway 10 near the war-damaged Al Mat Bridge, which is located about 300 km west of Baghdad and 180 km from the Jordanian border.

response to your edit: I would bloody hope so, Germany was rebuilt off the back of the biggest war we have ever seen, Iraq was just a conflict.

a war in which Germany was the largest power.
Reply 144
vienna95
i appreciate that, but there is little you can do when those companies are far more capable. the primary objective is to get the country back on its feet.

Bechtel Signs First Iraqi Firm to Construction Subcontract (5/30/2003)

KUWAIT CITY, KUWAIT (Friday, May 30, 2003)—Bechtel today signed its first subcontract with an Iraqi company under its prime contract supporting USAID's Iraq Infrastructure Reconstruction Program. The scope of work of the subcontract is to design and construct a bridge bypass of about 1.5 km in length for a critical highway in the western part of the country.

Al-Bunnia Trading Company, a 93-year-old Baghdad-based construction firm, will work with Bechtel supervisors to provide field engineering services and construct the bypass on Highway 10 near the war-damaged Al Mat Bridge, which is located about 300 km west of Baghdad and 180 km from the Jordanian border.

I'm very happy about that, I hope more Iraqi companies are involved as the rebuilding continues.

vienna95

and...?
vienna95

The US were by far the biggest power
Reply 146
Lord Huntroyde
and...?

trying to install democracy, reinvigorate an economy and instill western political ideology into Middle-East Iraq seems comparably, and in absolute terms, a mammoth task in regard to 20th century European Germany.
Reply 147
vienna95
trying to install democracy, reinvigorate an economy and instill western political ideology into Middle-East Iraq seems comparably, and in absolute terms, a mammoth task in regard to 20th century European Germany.

But it's a lot easier when you've plenty of resources, Britian in particularly had been hit hard by the war so had to rebuild itself as well so they were probably of similar difficulty.
vienna95
such as?
which links?

The aforementioned mutual hate between Hussein and bin Laden, the fact that all 'evidence' for dialogue between the two took place about a 2 decades (?) prior to 9/11

Speciez99
where did you get those figures from out of interest?

I recall them being often bandied around on here, and also reading them in the papers.

BloodyValentine

Actually we were(at the start of the war at least) the US/USSR were by the end.
Reply 149
BloodyValentine

i should have been more explicit. i meant a war in which Germany committed most resources.
an Siarach
The aforementioned mutual hate between Hussein and bin Laden, the fact that all 'evidence' for dialogue between the two took place about a 2 decades (?) prior to 9/11

I recall them being often bandied around on here, and also reading them in the papers.

Actually we were(at the start of the war at least) the US/USSR were by the end.

you sure? what about the whole policy of disarmement etc... anyway we're drifting slightly away from the point here. Might I ask how many people here think that members of government should be allowed to sit on the board of companies?
Reply 151
BloodyValentine
Might I ask how many people here think that members of government should be allowed to sit on the board of companies?

I don't think so, I think it can cause a conflict of interest. One of the reasons that I disliked steven norris is because of his association with Jarvis. I don't think that you can do both and still be fair.
Reply 152
an Siarach

there were links between Iraq and Al-Qaeda throughout the 90s.
the aforementioned mutual hate that is as meritable as the claim that they both had a hatred for the west.

the point is, to dismiss any claim or evidence of collusion based on the idea that they may have hated each other on religious grounds is naive.
BloodyValentine
you sure? what about the whole policy of disarmement etc... anyway we're drifting slightly away from the point here. Might I ask how many people here think that members of government should be allowed to sit on the board of companies?

Disarmament is a topic totally unrelated to al Qaeda. As for MPs on company boards, it shouldnt be allowed at all - in fact, MPs should be made to sell ALL positions upon ascending to parliment, and they retrieve them only if theyve been competent in their term.
Reply 154
randdom
I don't think so, I think it can cause a conflict of interest. One of the reasons that I disliked steven norris is because of his association with Jarvis. I don't think that you can do both and still be fair.

didnt he agree to resign from Jarvis were he to be elected?
vienna95
there were links between Iraq and Al-Qaeda throughout the 90s.
the aforementioned mutual hate that is as meritable as the claim that they both had a hatred for the west.

the point is, to dismiss any claim or evidence of collusion based on the idea that they may have hated each other on religious grounds is naive.

You have a point, i simply think that the assumption they were in cahoot is no more valid than the belief they werent - it simply comes down to personal interpretation i think.
Reply 156
vienna95
didnt he agree to resign from Jarvis were he to be elected?

Yeah but there would still be biases. Plus look at the mess that Jarvis have made generally. If someone can't make jarvis work how can they make london work.
Reply 157
randdom
Yeah but there would still be biases.

how? you cant wipe someones past out. im sure Red Ken has a history that one could draw the same conclusions from. he agreed to end the conflict of interest if elected, otherwise he still has to make a living.

Plus look at the mess that Jarvis have made generally. If someone can't make jarvis work how can they make london work.

hehe, well thats another question!
Reply 158
an Siarach
You have a point, i simply think that the assumption they were in cahoot is no more valid than the belief they werent - it simply comes down to personal interpretation i think.

i agree. the question is, our interpretations are for our own belief. what if thousands of lives rest on that interpretation, either way.
Reply 159
vienna95
how? you cant wipe someones past out. im sure Red Ken has a history that one could draw the same conclusions from. he agreed to end the conflict of interest if elected, otherwise he still has to make a living.

I know I just think it would be a bit suspect if someone who was working high up in Jarvis quit and imediately became the mayor of London. And we are talking imediate. Jarvis are always trying to get contracts in London. And I do think that there would be a bias there and quite a large on even if it wasn't intentional.

Latest

Trending

Trending